|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which historian does Montaigne discuss as having written one of the first official histories of Rome?
2. At what city along Montaigne's path does French stop being the predominant language?
3. What abstract concept does Montaigne say he would not marry?
4. The "truth" that Montaigne speaks of in the essay in Book 2 of Essays, "Of Repentance" is best described as what?
(b) An illusion.
(d) Consensus reality.
5. What important female leader was a native of Montaigne's nation?
(a) Joan of Arc.
(c) Queen Isabelle.
(d) Queen Elizabeth.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Montaigne believe about action and words?
2. Montaigne discusses how a man named Clesius was promoted to what rank?
3. Montaigne writes that a wife should guard against her husband, regarding him as if he were what?
4. What major city is Montaigne headed to in the journeys described in Travel Journal: Chapter 13?
5. Where did Montaigne end the journeys that he describes in his travel journal?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Montaigne's general perspective?
2. How does Montaigne says that personal character is related to repentance?
3. What church promotion occurred in Trent while Montaigne was there?
4. What did the notorious criminal Catena once force two men to do before he killed them?
5. What was St. George noted for?
6. Why does Montaigne believe that women know more about love?
7. What does Montaigne say about truth?
8. What does Montaigne say about the differences in the desires of men and women?
9. What was Montaigne interested in learning about in Trent?
10. What influences may have caused Montaigne to have a greater respect for women?
This section contains 540 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)