|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which language, besides Latin, did Montaigne hear the mass given in during the holiday mass he observed at Saint Peter's?
2. Montaigne describes a culture that recommends bathing how often?
(a) Once a week.
(b) Multiple times a day.
(c) Once a month.
3. What did Christ teach about the treatment of women?
(a) They should have an equal place with men.
(b) They should be treated as free people.
(c) They are superior to men in some ways.
(d) They should be submissive to their husbands.
4. What does Montaigne believe about action and words?
(a) Words are much more important.
(b) Neither is important compared to intentions.
(c) Actions are much more important.
(d) They must both be employed.
5. What female features significantly in Montaigne's faith?
(b) Mary, mother of God.
(c) Mary Magdalene.
Short Answer Questions
1. The first part of Montaigne's journal was actually written by whom?
2. What office did Montaigne take up at the end of the journeys that he describes in his travel journal
3. Montaigne is particularly interested in what quality of the waters of different regions?
4. Montaigne's secretary notes near the end of Travel Journal: Chapter 13, that the region they are in was once controlled by what nation?
5. What does Montaigne admit about himself in the essay in Book 2 of Essays, "Of Repentance"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Montaigne undertake his travels?
2. What church promotion occurred in Trent while Montaigne was there?
3. What does Montaigne say about the differences in the desires of men and women?
4. What disappointed Montaigne in Rome?
5. Why does Montaigne believe that women know more about love?
6. What are Montaigne's influences in his "Apology to Raymond Sebond"?
7. What are some of the powers that Roman baths are reputed to have?
8. What influences may have caused Montaigne to have a greater respect for women?
9. What was Montaigne interested in learning about in Trent?
10. How does Montaigne says that personal character is related to repentance?
This section contains 583 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)