|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which historian does Montaigne discuss as having written one of the first official histories of Rome?
2. What does Montaigne say the substance that can be gathered from some public water sources can be used for?
(a) Making soap.
(b) Dental cleansing.
(d) Starching clothing.
3. What was the main motivation of the journeys that Montaigne describes in his travel journal?
(c) Religious pilgrimage.
4. What female features significantly in Montaigne's faith?
(a) Mary, mother of God.
(d) Mary Magdalene.
5. The relationship that Montaigne warned against was common among what ancient people?
(a) The Carthaginians.
(b) The Romans.
(c) The Egyptians.
(d) The Greeks.
Short Answer Questions
1. What important female leader was a native of Montaigne's nation?
2. What famous work by St. Thomas Aquinas significantly affects Montaigne?
3. In what month do the travels described in Travel Journal: Chapter 13 begin?
4. What does Montaigne believe about action and words?
5. Montaigne's model for the rhetoric in his work is best described as what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Montaigne says that personal character is related to repentance?
2. What influences may have caused Montaigne to have a greater respect for women?
3. Describe the culture of public bathing that is discussed in Montaigne's journal.
4. What qualities interest Montaigne about public water?
5. What was St. George noted for?
6. According to the note at the beginning of Book 3 of Essays: Chapter 12, why is the editor interested in Montaigne's travel journals?
7. What does Montaigne say about truth?
8. What disappointed Montaigne in Rome?
9. What is Montaigne's general perspective?
10. Why does Montaigne believe that women know more about love?
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)