|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Montaigne admit about himself in the essay in Book 2 of Essays, "Of Repentance"?
(a) He has sinned consistently.
(b) He does not think complete repentance is possible.
(c) He does not repent for all of his sins.
(d) He is not perfect.
2. What office did Montaigne take up at the end of the journeys that he describes in his travel journal
3. Montaigne's view of the role of women was what?
4. In Travel Journal: Chapter 13, Montaigne describes a priest who speaks what out-of-place language as part of his services?
5. Guiseppe was skilled in what area?
(a) Siege warfare.
(c) Naval matters.
(d) Army logistics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What holiday was Montaigne able to observe at Saint Peter's in Rome?
2. Montaigne treated women without what?
3. What abstract concept does Montaigne say he would not marry?
4. How long was Guiseppe gone from his home country?
5. The first part of Montaigne's journal was actually written by whom?
Short Essay Questions
1. Overall, what is Montaigne's writing style like?
2. What does Montaigne say about truth?
3. What church promotion occurred in Trent while Montaigne was there?
4. Describe the culture of public bathing that is discussed in Montaigne's journal.
5. What is Montaigne's general perspective?
6. What are Montaigne's influences in his "Apology to Raymond Sebond"?
7. How does Montaigne say that he was able to deal with the restrictions of marriage?
8. What does Montaigne say about the differences in the desires of men and women?
9. What was Montaigne interested in learning about in Trent?
10. What influences may have caused Montaigne to have a greater respect for women?
This section contains 526 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)