|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Montaigne says that a fabricated storyline must be what?
2. Montaigne responds to an argument that it is useless to defend Christianity from what standpoint?
(a) Historical analysis.
(d) Divine inspiration.
3. In one of Montiagne's stories, what does the man force the group of people to do as part of a social experiment?
(d) Get drunk.
4. How often does Montaigne criticize the book that he translated in his discussion of it?
(b) Very often.
(c) His discussion is full of criticism.
5. In Book 1 of Essays: Chapter 3, Essay #10, Montaigne notes that the people he discusses tend to leave scars with what type of surgical procedure?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Book 1 of Essays: Chapter 2, Essays #4 and #5, Montaigne says that many consider deceit to be an essential part of what?
2. Montaigne says that he could never do what with respect to his father?
3. In Book 1 of Essays: Chapter 3, Essay #48, Montaigne discusses an unusual rule instituted by knights of what nation?
4. Montaigne's father asked him to translate the unusual book discussed in Book 2 of Essays: Essay #12 into what language?
5. What is Montaigne's general attitude towards marriage?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Montaigne's general attitude towards marriage?
2. What unusual rule did Knights of the Spanish order that Montaigne discusses have to obey, and why?
3. How does Montaigne suggest that a liar can be caught?
4. Why does Montaigne use few quotations from women in his essays?
5. What does Montaigne say about marriage near the end of Book 2 of Essays: Chapter 5?
6. What does Montaigne say about the difference between a man and an animal.
7. What was the cause of most religious wars in Europe in Montaigne's time?
8. What does Montaigne says about the equality of vices?
9. What is strange about the way Feudalism tends to divide territory?
10. What dose Montaigne say are the consequences of failing to provide a child with parental affection?
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)