|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The noble who is discussed in Book 1 of Essays: Chapter 4, Essay #46 holds a feast for whom?
(a) Wealthy merchants.
(b) English knights.
(c) Priests and bishops.
(d) The nobles of France.
2. What type of argument does Montaigne make regarding the book that he discusses in Book 2 of Essays: Chapter 7, Essay #12?
3. Luther and Calvin were notable for helping to start what movement?
(a) The French revolution.
(b) The English civil war.
(c) The Protestant revolution.
(d) The magna carta.
4. What does Montaigne recommend to help a person develop self-awareness and uncensored thinking?
5. In Book 1 of Essays: Chapter 2, Montaigne describes how the prince of what region gained control over part of France?
Short Answer Questions
1. Montaigne suggests that all religions are essentially what?
2. Montaigne says that a fabricated storyline must be what?
3. What philosopher did Montaigne believe to have been a major influence on the unusual book that he translated?
4. What philosopher does Montaigne quote briefly on the subject of authority?
5. What does Montaigne say about how bad a vice lying is in general?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Montaigne's general attitude towards marriage?
2. What consequences did his father's opinion on education have on Montaigne?
3. What dose Montaigne say are the consequences of failing to provide a child with parental affection?
4. Why does Montaigne say that parental affection is important for a child's development?
5. What was the goal of the social experiment that Montaigne describes near the end of Book 2 of Essays: Chapter 8?
6. What important contribution did Gutenburg make?
7. Why does Montaigne think that Christianity is superior to other religions?
8. What is Montaigne's opinion of war horses in general?
9. Why was Montaigne arrested in Paris in 1588?
10. What dose Montaigne say that soldiers sometimes have to resort to for survival?
This section contains 586 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)