|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Near the end of Book 2 of Essays: Chapter 8, Montaigne discusses how and whether what type of results should be brought about?
2. What type of argument does Montaigne make regarding the book that he discusses in Book 2 of Essays: Chapter 7, Essay #12?
3. What does the unusual rule Montaigne discusses in Book 1 of Essays: Chapter 3, Essay #48 stipulate?
(a) Knights may never ride mules.
(b) Knight must always pray before crossing a river.
(c) Knights should always carry a crucifix.
(d) Knights should never sleep facing East.
4. Montaigne describes how soldiers sometimes do what in desperate times?
(a) Eat their horses.
(b) Trade their war horses for normal mounts.
(c) Drink the blood of their horses.
(d) Sell their horses and armor.
5. What subject does the first essay from Book 2 center on?
(b) Human behavior.
Short Answer Questions
1. Montaigne characterizes most of the "common people" as being what?
2. What does Montaigne suggest is essential in order for a person to lead a good life?
3. Montaigne believes that not all vices are what?
4. The civil wars that occurred in Montaigne's country during his early years as an adult were primarily fought over what issues?
5. Luther and Calvin were notable for helping to start what movement?
Short Essay Questions
1. What important contribution did Gutenburg make?
2. Why was Montaigne arrested in Paris in 1588?
3. What factors in Europe tended to restrict the social status of women?
4. What was Montaigne's general attitude towards marriage?
5. How does Montaigne suggest that virtue is different from kindliness?
6. What is strange about the way Feudalism tends to divide territory?
7. What is Montaigne's opinion of war horses in general?
8. How does Montaigne suggest that a liar can be caught?
9. How does Montaigne believe that judgment about lying are influenced by motive?
10. What method does Montaigne use to discuss Sebond's work?
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)