|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Montaigne's father's opinion on education?
(a) He thought it was too expensive.
(b) He valued it.
(c) He thought it was only for the middle class.
(d) He dismissed it.
2. In one of Montaigne's stories about mercy, what position does Conrad hold?
3. What does Montaigne say about how bad a vice lying is in general?
(a) It is worse than it may seem.
(b) It is not necessarily a vice.
(c) It is unavoidable.
(d) It is not as bad as most believe.
4. In Book 1 of Essays: Chapter 3, Essay #10, Montaigne notes that the people he discusses tend to leave scars with what type of surgical procedure?
5. What major disease hit Bordeaux while Montaigne was in office there?
(b) Small pox.
(c) Bubonic plague.
Short Answer Questions
1. What major factor significantly diminished the place of women in Britain?
2. Who was the target audience of the social experiment that Montaigne discusses near the end of Book 2 of Essays: Chapter 8?
3. Montaigne characterizes his parents' treatment of him as which of the following?
4. How prevalent were matriarchal societies in Europe at Montaigne's time?
5. How does Montaigne say that father's generally view the flaws of their sons?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Montaigne say about marriage near the end of Book 2 of Essays: Chapter 5?
2. What important contribution did Gutenburg make?
3. How does Montaigne suggest that virtue is different from kindliness?
4. What is the purpose of this book, according to Montaigne?
5. Why does Montaigne believe it is possible to laugh and cry about the same thing?
6. What dose Montaigne say that soldiers sometimes have to resort to for survival?
7. What dose Montaigne say are the consequences of failing to provide a child with parental affection?
8. Why does Montaigne use few quotations from women in his essays?
9. What unusual rule did Knights of the Spanish order that Montaigne discusses have to obey, and why?
10. What does Montaigne says about the equality of vices?
This section contains 667 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)