|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Montaigne says that women know more than men about what?
(a) The fields.
2. What ancient writer does Montaigne discuss near the beginning of Book 3 of Essays: Chapter 11?
3. What does Montaigne admit about himself in the essay in Book 2 of Essays, "Of Repentance"?
(a) He does not think complete repentance is possible.
(b) He does not repent for all of his sins.
(c) He has sinned consistently.
(d) He is not perfect.
4. The first part of Montaigne's journal was actually written by whom?
(a) Another philosopher.
(b) His secretary.
(c) His long-time friend.
(d) His wife.
5. What advantage does Montaigne say that women have in entering into marriage?
(a) They are psychologically equipped for it.
(b) They have significantly greater social standing once married.
(c) They are well-educated about it.
(d) They have many modern rights.
6. What important female leader was a native of Montaigne's nation?
(a) Queen Isabelle.
(c) Joan of Arc.
(d) Queen Elizabeth.
7. Book of Essay's 3: Chapter 12 begins with a note from whom?
(a) The editor.
(b) The philosopher Terrence.
(c) Montaigne's original publisher.
(d) Montaigne's wife.
8. What holiday was Montaigne able to observe at Saint Peter's in Rome?
(a) All Saint's Day.
(c) The Assumption of the Virgin Mary.
(d) No holiday.
9. In what month did the first part of Montaigne's journey start?
10. How long was Guiseppe gone from his home country?
(a) 6 years.
(b) 3 years.
(c) 12 years.
(d) 1 year.
11. Montaigne says that the ancient writer that he discusses near the beginning of Book 3 of Essays: Chapter 11 is extremely what?
12. Which philosopher does Montaigne most often quote?
13. In Travel Journal: Chapter 15, the writer makes special note of the regional differences in what?
14. In what month do the travels described in Travel Journal: Chapter 13 begin?
15. Montaigne's perspective causes him to focus on what?
(a) Moral and ethical issues.
(b) Causes and effects.
(c) Social hierarchy.
(d) Personal relations.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Montaigne believe about action and words?
2. Why did Montaigne write his travel journals?
3. In Travel Journal: Chapter 13, Montaigne describes a priest who speaks what out-of-place language as part of his services?
4. Montaigne's model for the rhetoric in his work is best described as what?
5. What major city is Montaigne headed to in the journeys described in Travel Journal: Chapter 13?
This section contains 416 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)