|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What advantage does Montaigne say that women have in entering into marriage?
(a) They are psychologically equipped for it.
(b) They have significantly greater social standing once married.
(c) They are well-educated about it.
(d) They have many modern rights.
2. What does Montaigne admit about himself in the essay in Book 2 of Essays, "Of Repentance"?
(a) He does not think complete repentance is possible.
(b) He has sinned consistently.
(c) He is not perfect.
(d) He does not repent for all of his sins.
3. The relationship that Montaigne warned against was common among what ancient people?
(a) The Egyptians.
(b) The Romans.
(c) The Carthaginians.
(d) The Greeks.
4. Montaigne's general attitude towards women was what?
5. Where did Montaigne end the journeys that he describes in his travel journal?
6. The first part of Montaigne's journal was actually written by whom?
(a) His wife.
(b) His secretary.
(c) His long-time friend.
(d) Another philosopher.
7. What famous work by St. Thomas Aquinas significantly affects Montaigne?
(a) Invictus Spiritus.
(b) Magna Boerelia.
(c) Sidereus Nuncius.
(d) Summa Theologica.
8. Montaigne warns against the dangers of a relationship between what types of people?
(a) A woman and a boy.
(b) A man and a boy.
(c) Two women.
(d) Two men.
9. Montaigne is impressed by Roman dishes that are made of what material?
10. What ancient writer does Montaigne discuss near the beginning of Book 3 of Essays: Chapter 11?
11. The "truth" that Montaigne speaks of in the essay in Book 2 of Essays, "Of Repentance" is best described as what?
(a) An illusion.
(d) Consensus reality.
12. Montaigne writes that a wife should treat her husband as if he were what?
(a) Her pet.
(b) Her master.
(c) Her father.
(d) An equal.
13. What scholar is quoted in the opening of Book 2 of Essays: Essay #1?
14. Montaigne's sees which of the following as being the role of a man?
(c) Intellectual pursuit.
15. Montaigne visits what type of a religious site dedicated to St. George?
(a) A cathedral.
(b) A church.
(c) A basilica.
(d) A shrine.
Short Answer Questions
1. St. George is said to have slain what?
2. Montaigne says that the ancient writer that he discusses near the beginning of Book 3 of Essays: Chapter 11 is extremely what?
3. Montaigne's secretary notes near the end of Travel Journal: Chapter 13, that the region they are in was once controlled by what nation?
4. What holiday was Montaigne able to observe at Saint Peter's in Rome?
5. How does Montaigne describe the useful substance that can be gathered from some public water?
This section contains 445 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)