|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Montaigne believe about action and words?
(a) Words are much more important.
(b) They must both be employed.
(c) Neither is important compared to intentions.
(d) Actions are much more important.
2. Montaigne discusses how a man named Clesius was promoted to what rank?
3. Montaigne describes a culture that recommends bathing how often?
(b) Once a week.
(c) Multiple times a day.
(d) Once a month.
4. In what month did Montaigne arrive in Rome?
5. How does Montaigne describe the useful substance that can be gathered from some public water?
(a) A green paste.
(b) A grey film.
(c) White and foamy.
(d) White and crusty.
6. Montaigne writes that people from what nation were often relied upon to establish and maintain social order?
7. The journeys that Montaigne describes in his travel journal mostly occurred between what years?
(a) 1601 and 1603.
(b) 1550 and 1551.
(c) 1580 and 1581.
(d) 1520 and 1522.
8. Book of Essay's 3: Chapter 12 begins with a note from whom?
(a) The editor.
(b) The philosopher Terrence.
(c) Montaigne's wife.
(d) Montaigne's original publisher.
9. In what month do the travels described in Travel Journal: Chapter 13 begin?
10. Montaigne says that the ancient writer that he discusses near the beginning of Book 3 of Essays: Chapter 11 is extremely what?
11. Montaigne writes that a wife should treat her husband as if he were what?
(a) An equal.
(b) Her father.
(c) Her master.
(d) Her pet.
12. Montaigne is impressed by Roman dishes that are made of what material?
13. What office did Montaigne take up at the end of the journeys that he describes in his travel journal
14. What nation does Montaigne head for in Travel Journal: Chapter 13?
(b) The Netherlands.
15. What was the main motivation of the journeys that Montaigne describes in his travel journal?
(b) Religious pilgrimage.
Short Answer Questions
1. What scholar is quoted in the opening of Book 2 of Essays: Essay #1?
2. Montaigne visits what type of a religious site dedicated to St. George?
3. Montaigne's secretary notes near the end of Travel Journal: Chapter 13, that the region they are in was once controlled by what nation?
4. What important female leader was a native of Montaigne's nation?
5. Montaigne suggests that which of the following contributed most to his performance as a husband?
This section contains 412 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)