|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which ancient Greek philosopher had a great affect on Montaigne?
2. Montaigne's model for the rhetoric in his work is best described as what?
3. What is Montaigne's opinion of his own performance as a husband compared to his expectations?
(a) His performance was totally different from his expectations.
(b) He surpassed his expectations.
(c) He just barely met his expectations.
(d) He failed to meet his expectations.
4. The unfinished church that Montaigne visits is to be called what?
(a) St. Paul's Cathedral.
(b) Church of Our Lady.
(c) Our Lady of Eternal Sacrifice.
(d) Church of the Blessed Trinity.
5. Montaigne's perspective as a male is best described as which of the following?
6. Montaigne says that the ancient writer that he discusses near the beginning of Book 3 of Essays: Chapter 11 is extremely what?
7. Montaigne discusses how a man named Clesius was promoted to what rank?
8. What female features significantly in Montaigne's faith?
(b) Mary Magdalene.
(c) Mary, mother of God.
9. Montaigne writes that people from what nation were often relied upon to establish and maintain social order?
10. What holiday was Montaigne able to observe at Saint Peter's in Rome?
(a) No holiday.
(c) The Assumption of the Virgin Mary.
(d) All Saint's Day.
11. What ancient writer does Montaigne discuss near the beginning of Book 3 of Essays: Chapter 11?
12. What does Montaigne believe about action and words?
(a) Neither is important compared to intentions.
(b) They must both be employed.
(c) Words are much more important.
(d) Actions are much more important.
13. Which historian does Montaigne discuss as having written one of the first official histories of Rome?
14. Montaigne's sees which of the following as being the role of a man?
(d) Intellectual pursuit.
15. How long was Guiseppe gone from his home country?
(a) 6 years.
(b) 3 years.
(c) 12 years.
(d) 1 year.
Short Answer Questions
1. The baths that Montaigne discusses are notable for being what?
2. Montaigne says that women know more than men about what?
3. What does Montaigne admit about himself in the essay in Book 2 of Essays, "Of Repentance"?
4. Montaigne says that the Roman dishes are superior to French dishes made of what?
5. The "truth" that Montaigne speaks of in the essay in Book 2 of Essays, "Of Repentance" is best described as what?
This section contains 426 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)