|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The unfinished church that Montaigne visits is to be called what?
(a) Church of the Blessed Trinity.
(b) St. Paul's Cathedral.
(c) Our Lady of Eternal Sacrifice.
(d) Church of Our Lady.
2. What was the name of the location that Montaigne stayed at in Rome?
(a) The Whale.
(b) The Hog.
(c) The Bear.
(d) The Stallion.
3. Which historian does Montaigne discuss as having written one of the first official histories of Rome?
4. What nation did Guiseppe defect to?
(a) The Iberians.
(b) The Turks.
(c) The Moors.
(d) The Saracens.
5. What ancient writer does Montaigne discuss near the beginning of Book 3 of Essays: Chapter 11?
6. Montaigne suggests that which of the following contributed most to his performance as a husband?
(a) Submission to the arrangements of marriage.
(b) Strong communication and compromise.
(c) Study and discussion with friends.
7. The historical essay near the end of Book 2 of Essays centers around what ancient civilization?
(a) The Romans.
(b) The Egyptians.
(c) The Persians.
(d) The Greeks.
8. What nation does Montaigne head for in Travel Journal: Chapter 13?
(b) The Netherlands.
9. The apocryphal slaying that St. George performed is a reference to him overcoming what?
(a) An enemy army.
(d) Pagan beliefs.
10. What does Montaigne admit about himself in the essay in Book 2 of Essays, "Of Repentance"?
(a) He is not perfect.
(b) He does not repent for all of his sins.
(c) He does not think complete repentance is possible.
(d) He has sinned consistently.
11. In what month do the travels described in Travel Journal: Chapter 13 begin?
12. In Travel Journal: Chapter 13, Montaigne describes a priest who speaks what out-of-place language as part of his services?
13. What is Montaigne's opinion of his own performance as a husband compared to his expectations?
(a) He failed to meet his expectations.
(b) His performance was totally different from his expectations.
(c) He just barely met his expectations.
(d) He surpassed his expectations.
14. What types of things does Montaigne believe cannot be repented for?
(a) Things outside of one's control.
(b) Violent crimes.
(d) Intentional murders.
15. What was the main motivation of the journeys that Montaigne describes in his travel journal?
(b) Religious pilgrimage.
Short Answer Questions
1. What scholar is quoted in the opening of Book 2 of Essays: Essay #1?
2. What was the name of the notorious criminal that Montaigne witnessed being release?
3. In what month did Montaigne arrive in Rome?
4. What famous work by St. Thomas Aquinas significantly affects Montaigne?
5. How long was Guiseppe gone from his home country?
This section contains 425 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)