|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What religion was Montaigne raised in?
2. Who is the father of the noble who is discussed in Book 1 of Essays: Chapter 4, Essay #46?
(a) King Phillip of Spain.
(b) King Henry II of England.
(c) King Ferdinand of Normandy.
(d) King Gustav of Germany.
3. Montaigne suggests that all religions are essentially what?
4. Montaigne believes that not all vices are what?
5. Near the end of Book 2 of Essays: Chapter 8, Montaigne discusses how and whether what type of results should be brought about?
6. What religion did Montaigne's mother belong to?
7. What does the unusual rule Montaigne discusses in Book 1 of Essays: Chapter 3, Essay #48 stipulate?
(a) Knight must always pray before crossing a river.
(b) Knights may never ride mules.
(c) Knights should always carry a crucifix.
(d) Knights should never sleep facing East.
8. Luther and Calvin were notable for helping to start what movement?
(a) The English civil war.
(b) The French revolution.
(c) The magna carta.
(d) The Protestant revolution.
9. The noble who is discussed in Book 1 of Essays: Chapter 4, Essay #46 holds a feast for whom?
(a) The nobles of France.
(b) Wealthy merchants.
(c) English knights.
(d) Priests and bishops.
10. What country did Montaigne's mother come from?
11. Montaigne suggests that deceit requires a great deal of what?
12. In Book 1 of Essays: Chapter 2, Montaigne describes how the prince of what region gained control over part of France?
13. Which of the following does NOT well-classify the quotations that Montaigne uses throughout his essays?
14. The creature that Montaigne discuss near the end of Book 2 of Essays: Chapter 7, Essay #12 is known for building what?
15. What explanation is given for the unusual rule that Montaigne discusses in Book 1 of Essays: Chapter 3, Essay #48?
(a) It is a tradition that no one understands.
(b) It comes from a bible passage.
(c) No reason is given.
(d) It derives from a mistranslation.
Short Answer Questions
1. The creature that Montaigne discuss near the end of Book 2 of Essays: Chapter 7, Essay #12 is able to exert a limited control over what?
2. Montaigne states that his method for discussing the book that is the topic of Book 2 of Essays: Chapter 7, Essay #12 is based on the writings of what philosopher?
3. Montaigne recommends that men not marry until they reach what age?
4. What was unusual about what Gutenburg did with bibles?
5. In one of Montaigne's stories, the people who have a kind of social experiment performed on them are what?
This section contains 456 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)