|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Montaigne say about how bad a vice lying is in general?
(a) It is not as bad as most believe.
(b) It is worse than it may seem.
(c) It is not necessarily a vice.
(d) It is unavoidable.
2. How prevalent were matriarchal societies in Europe at Montaigne's time?
(a) Such societies were secretive and small.
(b) There were only a few such societies.
(c) None existed.
(d) Only England practiced this social order.
3. Montaigne recommends that men not marry until they reach what age?
4. Montaigne characterizes most of the "common people" as being what?
5. In Book 1 of Essays: Chapter 3, Essay #48, Montaigne discusses an unusual rule instituted by knights of what nation?
6. What was Montaigne's father's opinion on education?
(a) He thought it was too expensive.
(b) He thought it was only for the middle class.
(c) He dismissed it.
(d) He valued it.
7. One argument that Montaigne responds to is the suggestion that the book he discusses does not demonstrate that Christianity is superior to what belief system?
8. What decision does Conrad make in one of Montaigne's stories about mercy?
(a) To let the defeated enemy leader live.
(b) To forgo a series of executions.
(c) To let the women and children go.
(d) To release every tenth prisoner.
9. Montaigne suggests that most war horses were not what?
10. Montaigne says that a fabricated storyline must be what?
11. Montaigne responds to an argument that it is useless to defend Christianity from what standpoint?
(b) Historical analysis.
(c) Divine inspiration.
12. Montaigne's father asked him to translate the unusual book discussed in Book 2 of Essays: Essay #12 into what language?
13. What was unusual about what Gutenburg did with bibles?
(a) He interpreted them in a new way.
(b) He printed them in common languages.
(c) He sold them to non-Christians.
(d) He distributed them for free.
14. How often does Montaigne criticize the book that he translated in his discussion of it?
(c) His discussion is full of criticism.
(d) Very often.
15. About what percentage of Bordeaux's population died as a result of the major disease that hit it while Montaigne was in office there?
Short Answer Questions
1. What social class was Montaigne born into?
2. What factor tends to restrict the conditions for women?
3. Montaigne acknowledges that it is less of a vice to lie in order to avoid which of the following?
4. Montaigne suggests that what element of child-rearing common in his own time is not necessary?
5. In one of Montaigne's stories, the people who have a kind of social experiment performed on them are what?
This section contains 461 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)