|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What major disease hit Bordeaux while Montaigne was in office there?
(b) Bubonic plague.
(d) Small pox.
2. Montaigne responds to an argument that it is useless to defend Christianity from what standpoint?
(c) Historical analysis.
(d) Divine inspiration.
3. In Book 1 of Essays: Chapter 2, Essays #4 and #5, Montaigne says that many consider deceit to be an essential part of what?
(c) Life in general.
4. The noble who is discussed in Book 1 of Essays: Chapter 4, Essay #46 organizes his dinner guests according to what?
(d) Area of land owned.
5. Montaigne suggests that the difference between a man and an animal is less than the difference between a man and what?
(a) A woman.
(b) An ape.
(c) Another man.
6. Montaigne specifically suggests that mastering what desire is a good example of virtue?
7. The civil wars that occurred in Montaigne's country during his early years as an adult were primarily fought over what issues?
(a) Economic issues.
(b) Class issues.
(c) Issues of loyalty.
(d) Religious issues.
8. Montaigne believes that not all vices are what?
9. In Book 2 of Essays, Essay #11, Montaigne contrasts virtue with what?
10. Montaigne suggests that deceit requires a great deal of what?
11. In one of Montaigne's stories, the man named Parmenio has to awaken whom?
(b) Julius Caesar.
(c) Alexander the Great.
(d) Caesar Augustus.
12. Who was the target audience of the social experiment that Montaigne discusses near the end of Book 2 of Essays: Chapter 8?
(a) The aristocracy.
(b) The nobility.
(c) The working class.
(d) The upper class.
13. What type of argument does Montaigne make regarding the book that he discusses in Book 2 of Essays: Chapter 7, Essay #12?
14. Montaigne suggests that most war horses were not what?
15. The unusual book that Montaigne's father came into possession of was written using the words endings from what language?
Short Answer Questions
1. In one of Montaigne's stories, the people who have a kind of social experiment performed on them are what?
2. What explanation is given for the unusual rule that Montaigne discusses in Book 1 of Essays: Chapter 3, Essay #48?
3. What country did Montaigne's mother come from?
4. The noble who is discussed in Book 1 of Essays: Chapter 4, Essay #46 rules what region?
5. How many famous women does Montaigne quote in his books of essays?
This section contains 423 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)