|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Montaigne say about how bad a vice lying is in general?
(a) It is worse than it may seem.
(b) It is not as bad as most believe.
(c) It is unavoidable.
(d) It is not necessarily a vice.
2. Montaigne suggests that what element of child-rearing common in his own time is not necessary?
(c) A crib.
(d) Swaddling clothes.
3. What was Montaigne's father's opinion on education?
(a) He thought it was only for the middle class.
(b) He dismissed it.
(c) He valued it.
(d) He thought it was too expensive.
4. The noble who is discussed in Book 1 of Essays: Chapter 4, Essay #46 holds what position?
5. The noble who is discussed in Book 1 of Essays: Chapter 4, Essay #46 rules what region?
6. Near the end of Book 2 of Essays: Chapter 8, Montaigne discusses means of what type?
(a) Morally grey.
7. Montaigne suggests that it is difficult to do what with war horses?
(a) Train them.
(b) Tend them.
(c) Breed them.
(d) Mount them.
8. In Book 2 of Essays, Essay #11, Montaigne contrasts virtue with what?
9. In one of Montiagne's stories, what does the man force the group of people to do as part of a social experiment?
(b) Get drunk.
10. Montaigne says that he feels what way with regards to knowing one individual who was brought back to Christianity due to the arguments in the book he discusses in Book 2 of Essay's: Chapter 7?
11. Near the end of Book 1 of Essays: Chapter 3, Montaigne discusses two men who suffer from what?
(a) Suicidal thoughts.
(c) The plague.
12. What explanation is given for the unusual rule that Montaigne discusses in Book 1 of Essays: Chapter 3, Essay #48?
(a) It is a tradition that no one understands.
(b) It derives from a mistranslation.
(c) No reason is given.
(d) It comes from a bible passage.
13. Montaigne responds to an argument that it is useless to defend Christianity from what standpoint?
(a) Historical analysis.
(d) Divine inspiration.
14. The noble who is discussed in Book 1 of Essays: Chapter 4, Essay #46 holds a feast for whom?
(a) English knights.
(b) Wealthy merchants.
(c) Priests and bishops.
(d) The nobles of France.
15. What was unusual about what Gutenburg did with bibles?
(a) He sold them to non-Christians.
(b) He interpreted them in a new way.
(c) He distributed them for free.
(d) He printed them in common languages.
Short Answer Questions
1. Montaigne believes that not all vices are what?
2. Luther and Calvin were notable for helping to start what movement?
3. What character trait does Montaigne say are specifically brought about by a particular treatment of children by parents?
4. The creature that Montaigne discuss near the end of Book 2 of Essays: Chapter 7, Essay #12 is known for building what?
5. How is Raymond Sebond related to the unusual book that Montaigne translated?
This section contains 489 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)