|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Montaigne suggests that what element of child-rearing common in his own time is not necessary?
(a) Swaddling clothes.
(d) A crib.
2. The noble who is discussed in Book 1 of Essays: Chapter 4, Essay #46 organizes his dinner guests according to what?
(b) Area of land owned.
3. In one of Montaigne's stories, the man who performs a kind of social experiment on people of a lower social station had what profession?
4. Montaigne says that extra time is often allotted to prepare war horses for what?
5. Montaigne describes how soldiers sometimes do what in desperate times?
(a) Trade their war horses for normal mounts.
(b) Eat their horses.
(c) Drink the blood of their horses.
(d) Sell their horses and armor.
6. What social class was Montaigne born into?
(a) Foreign class.
(b) The commoner's class.
(c) The merchant class.
(d) The nobility.
7. In one of Montaigne's stories about mercy, what position does Conrad hold?
8. About what percentage of Bordeaux's population died as a result of the major disease that hit it while Montaigne was in office there?
9. Montaigne suggests that a kindly person goes through life inclined towards what?
(a) Further kindliness.
(d) Slow moral degradation.
10. While Montaigne was in office in Bordeaux, what system experienced major problems?
(a) The sewage system.
(b) The canal system.
(c) The highway system.
(d) The aqueduct system.
11. Montaigne suggests that most war horses were not what?
12. What position was Montaigne commissioned to in Bordeaux?
13. How many famous women does Montaigne quote in his books of essays?
14. What philosopher did Montaigne believe to have been a major influence on the unusual book that he translated?
(a) John Locke.
(c) St. Thomas Aquinas.
15. Montaigne acknowledges that it is less of a vice to lie in order to avoid which of the following?
(c) Appearing ignorant.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Book 1 of Essays: Chapter 2, Essays #4 and #5, Montaigne says that many consider deceit to be an essential part of what?
2. Montaigne suggests that deceit requires a great deal of what?
3. The philosopher that Montaigne quotes on the subject of authority believes that authority is most secure when derived from what source?
4. Montaigne believes that not all vices are what?
5. In Book 1 of Essays: Chapter 2, Montaigne describes how the prince of what region gained control over part of France?
This section contains 417 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)