|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book of Essays 2 : Chapter 8,.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What century did Montaigne live in?
(a) The 16th.
(b) The 18th.
(c) The 14th.
(d) The 12th.
2. Montaigne suggests that the difference between a man and an animal is less than the difference between a man and what?
(b) An ape.
(c) A woman.
(d) Another man.
3. What major factor significantly diminished the place of women in Britain?
(a) Metal smithing.
(b) Coastal trade.
(d) The Magna Carta.
4. What position was Montaigne commissioned to in Bordeaux?
5. What was Montaigne's father's opinion on education?
(a) He valued it.
(b) He thought it was too expensive.
(c) He dismissed it.
(d) He thought it was only for the middle class.
Short Answer Questions
1. Montaigne doubts affection that is based on what?
2. In Montaigne's story about the man leading a large number of troops, what moves the man to act with mercy?
3. What method of governance dominated Europe in Montaigne's time?
4. In Book 1 of Essays: Chapter 2, Essays #4 and #5, Montaigne says that many consider deceit to be an essential part of what?
5. What language was the unusual book that Montaigne's father came into possession of written in?
This section contains 216 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)