|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book of Essays 2 : Chapter 8,.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What major disease hit Bordeaux while Montaigne was in office there?
(c) Bubonic plague.
(d) Small pox.
2. In Book 1 of Essays: Chapter 3, Essay #10, Montaigne notes that the people he discusses tend to leave scars with what type of surgical procedure?
3. What does Montaigne suggest is essential in order for a person to lead a good life?
(a) Religious dedication.
(c) Parental affection.
(d) A strong family.
4. In Book 2 of Essays, Essay #11, Montaigne contrasts virtue with what?
5. Montaigne's father asked him to translate the unusual book discussed in Book 2 of Essays: Essay #12 into what language?
Short Answer Questions
1. What philosopher did Montaigne believe to have been a major influence on the unusual book that he translated?
2. What country did Montaigne's mother come from?
3. Near the end of Book 1 of Essays: Chapter 3, Montaigne discusses two men who suffer from what?
4. What age does Montaigne recommend that males remain virgins until?
5. Montaigne doubts affection that is based on what?
This section contains 186 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)