|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2 of Essays : Chapter 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What method of governance dominated Europe in Montaigne's time?
(a) Parliamentary democracy.
(d) Constitutional monarchy.
2. Montaigne characterizes most of the "common people" as being what?
3. Montaigne recommends that men not marry until they reach what age?
4. About what percentage of Bordeaux's population died as a result of the major disease that hit it while Montaigne was in office there?
5. How does Montaigne say that father's generally view the flaws of their sons?
(a) They disapprove strongly of them.
(b) They blow them out of proportion.
(c) They can never disregard them.
(d) They ignore them.
Short Answer Questions
1. What language was this book originally written in?
2. Near the end of Book 1 of Essays: Chapter 3, the two men that Montaigne discusses are cured of their affliction through what?
3. What treatment of children by parents does Montaigne cite as leading to specific character traits?
4. Montaigne says that a fabricated storyline must be what?
5. In Book 1 of Essays: Chapter 2, Essay #3, what city do the soldiers who were allowed to escape go on to attack?
This section contains 193 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)