|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2 of Essays : Chapter 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Book 1 of Essays: Chapter 3, Essay #10, Montaigne notes that the people he discusses tend to leave scars with what type of surgical procedure?
2. What philosopher does Montaigne quote briefly on the subject of authority?
3. In Book 1 of Essays: Chapter 3, Essay #10, Montaigne discussed the cultural practices of what people?
(a) The Turks.
(b) The Arabs.
(c) The Egyptians.
(d) The Jews.
4. The noble who is discussed in Book 1 of Essays: Chapter 4, Essay #46 organizes his dinner guests according to what?
(d) Area of land owned.
5. Who is the father of the noble who is discussed in Book 1 of Essays: Chapter 4, Essay #46?
(a) King Phillip of Spain.
(b) King Gustav of Germany.
(c) King Henry II of England.
(d) King Ferdinand of Normandy.
Short Answer Questions
1. Montaigne says that extra time is often allotted to prepare war horses for what?
2. What treatment of children by parents does Montaigne cite as leading to specific character traits?
3. The noble who is discussed in Book 1 of Essays: Chapter 4, Essay #46 holds a feast for whom?
4. What philosopher did Montaigne believe to have been a major influence on the unusual book that he translated?
5. In Book 1 of Essays: Chapter 2, Montaigne describes how the prince of what region gained control over part of France?
This section contains 234 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)