|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1 of Essays : Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Montaigne say that father's generally view the flaws of their sons?
(a) They disapprove strongly of them.
(b) They can never disregard them.
(c) They ignore them.
(d) They blow them out of proportion.
2. In Book 1 of Essays: Chapter 3, Essay #10, Montaigne discussed the cultural practices of what people?
(a) The Egyptians.
(b) The Jews.
(c) The Turks.
(d) The Arabs.
3. Montaigne acknowledges that it is less of a vice to lie in order to avoid which of the following?
(b) Appearing ignorant.
4. In Book 1 of Essays: Chapter 3, Essay #10, Montaigne notes that the people he discusses tend to leave scars with what type of surgical procedure?
5. The noble who is discussed in Book 1 of Essays: Chapter 4, Essay #46 rules what region?
Short Answer Questions
1. What method of governance dominated Europe in Montaigne's time?
2. What does Montaigne say about how bad a vice lying is in general?
3. What language was this book originally written in?
4. Near the end of Book 1 of Essays: Chapter 3, the two men that Montaigne discusses are cured of their affliction through what?
5. What does the unusual rule Montaigne discusses in Book 1 of Essays: Chapter 3, Essay #48 stipulate?
This section contains 252 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)