|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1 of Essays : Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Book 1 of Essays: Chapter 2, Essay #3, what city do the soldiers who were allowed to escape go on to attack?
2. How does Montaigne say that father's generally view the flaws of their sons?
(a) They ignore them.
(b) They disapprove strongly of them.
(c) They can never disregard them.
(d) They blow them out of proportion.
3. In one of Montaigne's stories, the man named Parmenio has to awaken whom?
(a) Caesar Augustus.
(b) Alexander the Great.
(d) Julius Caesar.
4. The enemy that Conrad subdued in one of Montaigne's stories about mercy was from what nation?
5. Luther and Calvin were notable for helping to start what movement?
(a) The English civil war.
(b) The Protestant revolution.
(c) The French revolution.
(d) The magna carta.
Short Answer Questions
1. While Montaigne was in office in Bordeaux, what system experienced major problems?
2. What method of governance dominated Europe in Montaigne's time?
3. In Book 1 of Essays: Chapter 2, Montaigne describes how the prince of what region gained control over part of France?
4. In Book 1 of Essays: Chapter 3, Essay #10, Montaigne says that the people he discusses view scars as marks of what?
5. Montaigne says that a fabricated storyline must be what?
This section contains 219 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)