|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1 of Essays : Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Book 1 of Essays: Chapter 2, Essay #3, what city do the soldiers who were allowed to escape go on to attack?
2. What method of governance dominated Europe in Montaigne's time?
(a) Constitutional monarchy.
(d) Parliamentary democracy.
3. Near the end of Book 1 of Essays: Chapter 3, Montaigne discusses two men who suffer from what?
(c) Suicidal thoughts.
(d) The plague.
4. In Book 1 of Essays: Chapter 3, Essay #10, Montaigne notes that the people he discusses tend to leave scars with what type of surgical procedure?
5. What position was Montaigne commissioned to in Bordeaux?
Short Answer Questions
1. In one of Montaigne's stories about mercy, what position does Conrad hold?
2. Luther and Calvin were notable for helping to start what movement?
3. What religion was Montaigne raised in?
4. The civil wars that occurred in Montaigne's country during his early years as an adult were primarily fought over what issues?
5. In Book 1 of Essays: Chapter 2, Essays #4 and #5, Montaigne says that many consider deceit to be an essential part of what?
This section contains 206 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)