|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2 of Essays : Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In one of Montaigne's stories, the man named Parmenio has to awaken whom?
(a) Julius Caesar.
(b) Caesar Augustus.
(d) Alexander the Great.
2. What was unusual about what Gutenburg did with bibles?
(a) He printed them in common languages.
(b) He distributed them for free.
(c) He sold them to non-Christians.
(d) He interpreted them in a new way.
3. The noble who is discussed in Book 1 of Essays: Chapter 4, Essay #46 holds what position?
4. What character trait does Montaigne say are specifically brought about by a particular treatment of children by parents?
5. While Montaigne was in office in Bordeaux, what system experienced major problems?
(a) The canal system.
(b) The highway system.
(c) The aqueduct system.
(d) The sewage system.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Montaigne's story about the man leading a large number of troops, what moves the man to act with mercy?
2. Montaigne suggests that most war horses were not what?
3. In Book 1 of Essays: Chapter 3, Essay #10, Montaigne says that the people he discusses view scars as marks of what?
4. What social class was Montaigne born into?
5. What language was this book originally written in?
This section contains 223 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)