|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2 of Essays : Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Montaigne say that father's generally view the flaws of their sons?
(a) They ignore them.
(b) They blow them out of proportion.
(c) They disapprove strongly of them.
(d) They can never disregard them.
2. The civil wars that occurred in Montaigne's country during his early years as an adult were primarily fought over what issues?
(a) Issues of loyalty.
(b) Class issues.
(c) Economic issues.
(d) Religious issues.
3. What does the unusual rule Montaigne discusses in Book 1 of Essays: Chapter 3, Essay #48 stipulate?
(a) Knights should never sleep facing East.
(b) Knights should always carry a crucifix.
(c) Knights may never ride mules.
(d) Knight must always pray before crossing a river.
4. Montaigne characterizes his parents' treatment of him as which of the following?
5. What subject does the second introduction for this book cover?
(a) Philosophy in general.
(b) Montaigne himself.
(c) The history of Europe.
(d) Translation issues.
Short Answer Questions
1. Montaigne suggests that deceit requires a great deal of what?
2. Montaigne acknowledges that it is less of a vice to lie in order to avoid which of the following?
3. Luther and Calvin were notable for helping to start what movement?
4. What does Montaigne recommend to help a person develop self-awareness and uncensored thinking?
5. What religion did Montaigne's mother belong to?
This section contains 228 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)