|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2 of Essays : Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Book 1 of Essays: Chapter 2, Essays #4 and #5, Montaigne says that many consider deceit to be an essential part of what?
(d) Life in general.
2. What treatment of children by parents does Montaigne cite as leading to specific character traits?
3. Near the end of Book 1 of Essays: Chapter 3, Montaigne discusses two men who suffer from what?
(c) The plague.
(d) Suicidal thoughts.
4. Montaigne says that a fabricated storyline must be what?
5. The enemy that Conrad subdued in one of Montaigne's stories about mercy was from what nation?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Book 1 of Essays: Chapter 2, Essay #3, what city do the soldiers who were allowed to escape go on to attack?
2. While Montaigne was in office in Bordeaux, what system experienced major problems?
3. What character trait does Montaigne say are specifically brought about by a particular treatment of children by parents?
4. Near the end of Book 1 of Essays: Chapter 3, the two men that Montaigne discusses are cured of their affliction through what?
5. In Book 1 of Essays: Chapter 3, Essay #10, Montaigne notes that the people he discusses tend to leave scars with what type of surgical procedure?
This section contains 223 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)