|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book of Essays 2 : Chapter 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was unusual about what Gutenburg did with bibles?
(a) He printed them in common languages.
(b) He distributed them for free.
(c) He sold them to non-Christians.
(d) He interpreted them in a new way.
2. The enemy that Conrad subdued in one of Montaigne's stories about mercy was from what nation?
3. Near the end of Book 2 of Essays: Chapter 8, Montaigne discusses how and whether what type of results should be brought about?
4. In Book 1 of Essays: Chapter 2, Montaigne describes how the prince of what region gained control over part of France?
5. What decision does Conrad make in one of Montaigne's stories about mercy?
(a) To forgo a series of executions.
(b) To release every tenth prisoner.
(c) To let the defeated enemy leader live.
(d) To let the women and children go.
Short Answer Questions
1. Montaigne specifically suggests that mastering what desire is a good example of virtue?
2. Montaigne describes how soldiers sometimes do what in desperate times?
3. In one of Montaigne's stories, the man who performs a kind of social experiment on people of a lower social station had what profession?
4. What language was the unusual book that Montaigne's father came into possession of written in?
5. Who is the father of the noble who is discussed in Book 1 of Essays: Chapter 4, Essay #46?
This section contains 265 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)