Book 1 of Essays: Chapter 1 (Introductory Materials)
• Montaigne was born into the French nobility in 1533.
• He was arrested in Paris in 1588 during a religious civil war as a result of his moderate political stance and loyalty to the King.
• Montaigne had a generally negative view of marriage, but eventually settled down and was accounted as a responsible husband in actual practice.
• Starting in 1581, Montaigne served two terms as mayor of Bordeaux. The city suffered a major outbreak of the bubonic plague during this time.
Book 1 of Essays : Chapter 2
• Montaigne's mother was from a Spanish Jewish family.
• The religious wars in Europe at the time centered on the conflict between the Catholic church and the various Protestant denominations.
• Montaigne uses multiple stories to illustrate how bravery can bring about merciful treatment by the enemy.
• Many in Montaigne's time believed that deceit was an important part of warfare, but others believed...
This section contains 1,086 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)