|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Poem 1168, Emily writes about the age old emotions of _________. Although these two emotions are usually found together, they are not generally of equal standing.
2. In the final stanza of Poem 1137, Emily admits even she is not aware of the _____ of the wind.
3. In Poem 726, lines 2, 4, and 6 end with the rhyming words of die, by and ____.
4. In Poem 608, Emily states she is afraid of the ______ no more than the east is afraid of the morning time.
5. Hope is the topic of Poem 1392. Emily states that hope is always working but never ___________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Emily feel about the concept that pain grows less over time in Poem 686?
2. What is described of the coming storm in Poem 824?
3. How does the poet describe the lives of the children of God in Poem 1021?
4. Describe the second version of Poem 1357.
5. Discuss the theme of bravery in Poem 1699.
6. The first two lines of the different versions of Poem 1357 are the only two that are exactly alike. The remainder of each poem differs entirely from the other. Describe the first version of Poem 1357.
7. Describe the poet's feelings about remorse in Poem 744.
8. Discuss the poet's relationship with the moon in Poem 737.
9. In Poem 964 Emily writes about the way in which God accepts His children. Describe this poem.
10. Describe the poet's vision of Abraham and Isaac in Poem 1317.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the style of meter the author uses in her poetry. How much does her meter vary from poem to poem? How does the meter of the poems affect their tone?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the author's use of Biblical allusion in her poems. What is the poet's view of Christianity? How do we know this from the text?
Essay Topic 3
Poem 61 begins, "Papa above! / Regard a Mouse / O'erpowered by the Cat!" What is the theme of this poem? What imagery does the poet use to illuminate that theme?
This section contains 871 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)