|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Poem 1711, Emily's description indicates that if this face were put together with _____, they would be good friends from the first meeting.
2. The wind is the topic of Poem 1137. In the first stanza Emily describes the duties of the wind as including directing ships at sea and marking the beginning of ____.
3. In Poem 1052, Emily writes that even though she has not physically seen heaven, she knows it exists. She states that she knows heaven exists in the same way that although she has never seen _____, but she knows it exists.
4. What voice is Poem 640 written in?
5. Hope is the topic of Poem 1392. Emily states that hope is always working but never ___________.
Short Essay Questions
1. In Poem 809 Emily writes about the nature of love. What does she say?
2. Describe the poet's comparison of the brain to God in Poem 632.
3. Describe the second version of Poem 1357.
4. How does the poet describe the lives of the children of God in Poem 1021?
5. Describe how Emily deals with the subject of Fear in Poem 608.
6. What is described of the coming storm in Poem 824?
7. What does Emily write of "hope" in poem 1392?
8. In Poem 964 Emily writes about the way in which God accepts His children. Describe this poem.
9. What is the metaphor for fame in Poem 1763?
10. How does Emily feel about the concept that pain grows less over time in Poem 686?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how the author compares herself to David in the poem which examines David and Goliath. What imagery does the poet use in this poem? What is the tone?
Essay Topic 2
Poem 61 begins, "Papa above! / Regard a Mouse / O'erpowered by the Cat!" What is the theme of this poem? What imagery does the poet use to illuminate that theme?
Essay Topic 3
Poem 465 begins, "I heard a Fly buzz -- when I died -- / The Stillness in the Room / Was like the Stillness in the Air -- / Between the Heaves of Storm". What symbolism is used in this poem? How do these symbols lend us to more meaning in terms of its theme?
This section contains 918 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)