|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Poem 1061, Emily states that although humans generally don't know from what they need ______, they live their lives locked in the prison of this guilt.
2. Hope is the topic of Poem 1392. Emily states that hope is always working but never ___________.
3. Poem 725 is a poem about finding home and comfort any place a ______ is located.
4. In Poem 632, Emily states the brain has the ability to think more deeply than the ____.
5. In Poem 1747, the parasol is generally associated with a ____ and is used mainly for decoration.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Emily use the imagery of the sea in Poem 723?
2. How does the poet describe the nature of God in Poem 1163?
3. Discuss the poet's relationship with the moon in Poem 737.
4. Describe how Emily deals with the subject of Fear in Poem 608.
5. How does the poet describe the lives of the children of God in Poem 1021?
6. Describe the poets feelings of finding comfort and home in Poem 725.
7. How does Dickinson describe the death of a loved on in Poem 1100?
8. The first two lines of the different versions of Poem 1357 are the only two that are exactly alike. The remainder of each poem differs entirely from the other. Describe the first version of Poem 1357.
9. In Poem 809 Emily writes about the nature of love. What does she say?
10. Describe the second version of Poem 1357.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the style of meter the author uses in her poetry. How much does her meter vary from poem to poem? How does the meter of the poems affect their tone?
Essay Topic 2
Describe how the author compares herself to David in the poem which examines David and Goliath. What imagery does the poet use in this poem? What is the tone?
Essay Topic 3
Poem 61 begins, "Papa above! / Regard a Mouse / O'erpowered by the Cat!" What is the theme of this poem? What imagery does the poet use to illuminate that theme?
This section contains 867 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)