|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Poem 725 is a poem about finding home and comfort any place a ______ is located.
2. In Poem 823, Emily states that God is not interested in what things people have done while on earth, but the things they might have done had they been more ____.
3. Poem 729 is a statement of undying devotion to a mysterious ____.
4. In Poem 1445, Emily writes about death. She states that death is a ____ who always gets the one it courts.
5. In Poem 632, Emily writes about the scope of the ________,
Short Essay Questions
1. The first two lines of the different versions of Poem 1357 are the only two that are exactly alike. The remainder of each poem differs entirely from the other. Describe the first version of Poem 1357.
2. What does Emily write of "hope" in poem 1392?
3. What is described of the coming storm in Poem 824?
4. Describe how Emily deals with the subject of Fear in Poem 608.
5. What comparisons does Dickinson make in Poem 1374?
6. How does the author describe the pain of being forgotten in Poem 1683?
7. Describe the wind in Poem 1137.
8. Describe the poet's feelings about remorse in Poem 744.
9. Describe the second version of Poem 1357.
10. In Poem 964 Emily writes about the way in which God accepts His children. Describe this poem.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Poem 61 begins, "Papa above! / Regard a Mouse / O'erpowered by the Cat!" What is the theme of this poem? What imagery does the poet use to illuminate that theme?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the structure of the following poem. Note the poem's meter, rhyme, assonance, consonance, and alliteration. Describe how these combine to form the poem's tone. "Not Sickness stains the Brave, / Nor and Dart, / Nor Doubt of Scene to come, / But an adjourning Heart --".
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of loss in Dickinson's poetry. In what poems does this theme recur? How does the poet describe her sense of loss differently in the poems?
This section contains 855 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)