|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Emily concludes Poem 1176 in saying that _____ would be normal if people weren't afraid to rise above themselves.
2. In Poem 632, Emily states that the brain is the same weight as _______.
3. In Poem 964, Emily writes about the way in which God accepts His children. Although Emily tells Jesus she does not know Him, He tells her who He is and _________.
4. Emily talks about the feeling of exhilaration in Poem 1118. She writes that this feeling of exhilaration raises people above their normal conditions and makes them feel as if they are somewhat better than their _____________.
5. In Poem 723, as the ship capsizes, what are all members of the crew doomed to as they fall below the waves?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Emily deals with the subject of Fear in Poem 608.
2. How does Emily use the imagery of the sea in Poem 723?
3. In Poem 964 Emily writes about the way in which God accepts His children. Describe this poem.
4. What is the metaphor for fame in Poem 1763?
5. What is described of the coming storm in Poem 824?
6. Describe the poet's feelings about remorse in Poem 744.
7. Describe the poet's vision of Abraham and Isaac in Poem 1317.
8. The first two lines of the different versions of Poem 1357 are the only two that are exactly alike. The remainder of each poem differs entirely from the other. Describe the first version of Poem 1357.
9. How does Emily feel about the concept that pain grows less over time in Poem 686?
10. What comparisons does Dickinson make in Poem 1374?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the structure of the following poem. Note the poem's meter, rhyme, assonance, consonance, and alliteration. Describe how these combine to form the poem's tone. "Not Sickness stains the Brave, / Nor and Dart, / Nor Doubt of Scene to come, / But an adjourning Heart --".
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the author's vision of nature as depicted in her poetry. How does her nature imagery stand out? Cite examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Poem 465 begins, "I heard a Fly buzz -- when I died -- / The Stillness in the Room / Was like the Stillness in the Air -- / Between the Heaves of Storm". What symbolism is used in this poem? How do these symbols lend us to more meaning in terms of its theme?
This section contains 968 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)