|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Poem 318, where are the sunrise and sunset which Emily describes?
2. In Poem 277, Emily contemplates what might happen if she were to do what?
3. In Poem 339, Emily writes of her wonder that such small flowers can hold so much beautiful ____.
4. Poem 92 begins, "My friend must be a Bird -- / Because it ___!"
5. In Poem 168, Emily notes that the _____ call flowers simply flowers while other people classify these same flowers into groups.
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the act of prayer in Poem 437.
2. How does Emily Dickinson describe humans' approach to pain in Poem 536?
3. What are examples of couples in the universe that Dickinson uses in Poem 1? Why does she use them?
4. Discuss the self-view of Poem 351.
5. What does the author write about "Paradise" in Poem 215?
6. What does Dickinson write about Moses in Poem 168?
7. In Poem 256, Emily turns to a different vision of hope. What is this expression?
8. What does Emily write about Christ and human death in Poem 193?
9. How does Dickinson compare herself to David of David and Goliath in Poem 540?
10. What is Emily's Sunday routine in Poem 324?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of earthly love and marriage as detailed in the poems of Emily Dickinson. Where does this theme occur? What symbolism does the author use in these poems?
Essay Topic 2
What is juxtaposition? Define this term and give examples of how the author makes use of this technique to lend greater understanding of her subjects.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss some of the different settings used in Dickinson's poems. How does the author use setting and imagery to define the poems' themes and tones?
This section contains 838 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)