|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Poem 149 begins, "She went as quiet as the ___".
2. In Poem 470, when she holds a ____ before her mouth, it fogs up.
3. Emily makes an interesting comment about quiet people in Poem 543. She states that she ____ quiet people, those of few words.
4. In Poem 127, Emily writes about the ______ that have been prepared in heaven for God's children.
5. In Poem 540, unlike _____, Emily does not fell her giant; she only succeeds in conquering herself.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Emily Dickinson relate about life after death in Poem 234?
2. What does Emily write about Christ and human death in Poem 193?
3. Discuss the theme of loss the poet writes about in Poem 23.
4. Describe the flower imagery of Poem 339.
5. How does Dickinson describe the morning after dreaming of visions or lack of them in Poem 103?
6. Describe the act of prayer in Poem 437.
7. What does Emily write to her friend whom she longs for in Poem 511?
8. How does Dickinson use the moon and see as imagery in Poem 429?
9. Discuss briefly the poet's use of symbolism from nature.
10. Describe the sunset and sunrise of Poem 318.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the themes, imagery, and personification of Poem 1374, which describes the world through the eyes of a squirrel. What comparisons are used in this poem?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the style of meter the author uses in her poetry. How much does her meter vary from poem to poem? How does the meter of the poems affect their tone?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss some of the different settings used in Dickinson's poems. How does the author use setting and imagery to define the poems' themes and tones?
This section contains 901 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)