|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Poem 413, Emily gives her reasons for knowing she won't like ___________.
2. In Poem 318, where are the sunrise and sunset which Emily describes?
3. Among what may Angels be seen when the sun is hottest in Poem 94?
4. In the conclusion of Poem 339, Emily seems to be portraying herself as a daisy. What is she waiting for?
5. Emily writes about the color of the grave in Poem 411. In the first stanza, Emily writes about the _____ of the grave in the summer.
Short Essay Questions
1. In Poem 377, how does the poet compare faith and money?
2. Describe the act of prayer in Poem 437.
3. What are examples of couples in the universe that Dickinson uses in Poem 1? Why does she use them?
4. Discuss some of the Biblical imagery in the first poems of the book.
5. What metaphor does the author use to represent hope in Poem 254?
6. How is the reality of death described in Poem 389?
7. What is Emily's Sunday routine in Poem 324?
8. How does Emily Dickinson describe humans' approach to pain in Poem 536?
9. Discuss briefly the poet's use of symbolism from nature.
10. What are the actions of the cat chasing the bird in Poem 507?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the literary term "tone." What does this refer to? Taking two examples of poetry from the text, compare and contrast them in terms of tone.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the terms alliteration, rhyme, assonance, and consonance. How does the author use these in her poetry? Cite examples from the text in your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Poem 61 begins, "Papa above! / Regard a Mouse / O'erpowered by the Cat!" What is the theme of this poem? What imagery does the poet use to illuminate that theme?
This section contains 921 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)