|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Emily uses images of the Biblical characters _______ in Poem 540.
(a) Matthew and Luke.
(b) David and Goliath.
(c) Herod and Jesus.
(d) Jesus and Satan.
2. In the conclusion of Poem 339, Emily seems to be portraying herself as a daisy. What is she waiting for?
(a) Her lord to return.
(b) To be picked.
(c) Love to return.
(d) To become a gift.
3. In Poem 507, Emily refers to the bird as _____ which revealed a thousand toes and then ran away on them.
4. In Poem 127, if some people knew such dwellings were waiting for them, by what means would they go there as soon as possible?
5. In Poem 215, Emily ends with concern that the other ransomed will laugh at her, but she is hopeful that paradise won't be as lonely as where?
(a) The South.
(b) New England.
(d) Her soul.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Poem 318, Emily describes the _____ as ribbons unfolding as squirrels run to tell the news.
2. In Poem 234, Emily shows her uncertainty of what actually happens to the bad people by tacking the phrase ______ onto the end of her poem.
3. Poem 136 begins, "Have you got a ____ in your little heart, / Where bashful flowers blow?"
4. Poem 254 presents a beautiful picture of the idea of hope. In this poem Emily portrays hope as a _______.
5. In Poem 67, the sounds of _____ are often agonizing to those who die for their cause.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Emily write to her friend whom she longs for in Poem 511?
2. In Poem 377, how does the poet compare faith and money?
3. What is Emily's Sunday routine in Poem 324?
4. How does Emily Dickinson describe humans' approach to pain in Poem 536?
5. What does Emily write about Christ and human death in Poem 193?
6. What are the actions of the cat chasing the bird in Poem 507?
7. Discuss the metaphor for loss which the poet uses in Poem 245.
8. In Poem 543, how does the poet describe her feelings for quiet people?
9. Describe the flower imagery of Poem 339.
10. Discuss the self-view of Poem 351.
This section contains 931 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)