|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Poem 318, Emily describes the _____ as a purple stile or steps, with yellow-colored children climbing over it.
2. In Poem 413, Emily gives her reasons for knowing she won't like ___________.
3. In Poem 536, if they can't be freed from pain, what would humans prefer to do?
(a) Fall in love.
(b) Watch beauty.
(c) Go to sleep.
4. Among what may Angels be seen when the sun is hottest in Poem 94?
(a) The trees.
(b) The sands.
(c) The clouds.
(d) The Dews.
5. Poem 245 is a poem of loss. In it Emily speaks of a ____ that she has.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the subject of Poem 67?
2. In Poem 339, Emily writes of her wonder that such small flowers can hold so much beautiful ____.
3. ______ is said to have sowed the seeds of the crucifixion because, according to the Bible, he did nothing to stop the innocent Jesus from being put to death. Instead, he released to the crowd Barabbas, the known murderer.
4. Poem 234 is another poem that explores the topic of what happens to people when _______.
5. In the conclusion of Poem 339, Emily seems to be portraying herself as a daisy. What is she waiting for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the actions of the cat chasing the bird in Poem 507?
2. Discuss the self-view of Poem 351.
3. What does Emily Dickinson relate about life after death in Poem 234?
4. How does Emily describe her feelings of grief in Poem 561?
5. Discuss how Emily knows she is alive in Poem 470.
6. What does Emily write about Christ and human death in Poem 193?
7. How does Dickinson use the moon and see as imagery in Poem 429?
8. In Poem 377, how does the poet compare faith and money?
9. What is Emily's Sunday routine in Poem 324?
10. Discuss briefly the poet's use of symbolism from nature.
This section contains 941 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)