|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The relationship between an _____ and a parasol is the topic of Poem 1747.
(d) Artist's painting.
2. Poem 1764 is written about the beautiful, unique noise the ____ make on early spring mornings.
3. Fear is the subject dealt with in Poem 608. Emily first declares she is more afraid of the _____ in her father's house than she is of death.
4. Poem 1163 makes an interesting comment about the nature of God. She states that God does not act without what?
5. In Poem 632, Emily writes about the scope of the ________,
(a) Human faith.
(c) Human heart.
(d) Human brain.
6. In Poem 1168, Emily writes about the age old emotions of _________. Although these two emotions are usually found together, they are not generally of equal standing.
(a) Lust and pride.
(b) Pride and generosity.
(c) Sadness and joy.
(d) Faith and depression.
7. In Poem 1374, Emily writes about comparisons. While a saucer holds only a little in the eyes of a human, it holds a feast in the eyes of a ____.
8. In Poem 1763, Emily writes about fame. She compares this station in life to a ___.
9. In Poem 1387 Emily describes a butterfly. Emily notes that even though the butterfly's wings are beautifully decorated, the butterfly still often closes its wings as if its decorations were not _____.
10. The ____ is the subject of Poem 737.
11. In Poem 1100, Emily writes about a feeling of _____ that this loved one is so close to infinity while those associated are required to stay behind on earth.
12. In the conclusion of Poem 609, Emily ____ from the house silently, like a thief, so no one will know she has been there.
13. In Poem 1100, Emily writes about the death of a loved one. She first notes the night of the death was _____ for everyone not associated with the death.
14. In Poem 1711, Emily's description indicates that if this face were put together with _____, they would be good friends from the first meeting.
15. In Poem 824, Emily notes that, despite the threat of the storm, _______ is not damaged. Only a tree in the yard is split.
(a) Her sister's house.
(b) Her mother's house.
(c) Her father's house.
(d) Her house.
Short Answer Questions
1. The subject of Poem 640 was obviously a _____ as Emily states that in heaven they would be judged because the object of her admiration "served Heaven" while Emily did not.
2. In Poem 1391, Emily writes about the effect her actions might have on other people. She states she hangs around just in case others need her, in case her _____ might brighten their day.
3. In Poem 809, the act of being loved turns people into _______.
4. Poem 1719 describes the nature of God. In this poem she indicates that she knows God is a _____ God.
5. A unique feature of Emily's poetry is her liberal use of _____ instead of more traditional punctuation.
This section contains 509 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)