|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Poem 1052, Emily writes that even though she has not physically seen heaven, she knows it exists. She states that she knows heaven exists in the same way that although she has never seen _____, but she knows it exists.
(a) The sun.
(b) The mountains.
(c) The sea.
(d) The desert.
2. In Poem 621, Emily asks for only one thing. What does she offer for it?
(a) Her writing.
(b) Her faith.
(c) All her money.
(d) Her life.
3. In Emily's first analogy in Poem 632, she states _____ can encompass more that the sky because it can comprehend the secrets of the sky along with other information.
(a) The ocean.
(b) The brain.
(c) The heart.
(d) The soul.
4. In Poem 632, Emily states the brain has the ability to think more deeply than the ____.
5. In Poem 632, Emily states that the brain is the same weight as _______.
(b) The soul.
(c) The earth.
(d) The heart.
6. In Poem 608, Emily states she is afraid of the ______ no more than the east is afraid of the morning time.
(b) End of time.
(c) Judgment Day.
(d) Atomic bomb.
7. In Poem 744, Emily talks about remorse. Emily presents remorse as a relentless remembering of what?
(a) Angry remarks.
(c) Behaviors that are in the past.
(d) Lost loves.
8. The wind is the topic of Poem 1137. In the first stanza Emily describes the duties of the wind as including directing ships at sea and marking the beginning of ____.
9. In the final stanza of Poem 737, Emily portrays the moon as being the owner or possessor of _______ with the remainder of the stars, firmament and universe being only garments and decorations for the moon.
(a) The earth.
(b) The Universe.
(c) God's love.
10. Poem 725 is a poem about finding home and comfort any place a ______ is located.
(d) Loved one.
11. In Poem 1100, Emily writes about the death of a loved one. She first notes the night of the death was _____ for everyone not associated with the death.
12. In Poem 1747, the parasol is generally associated with a ____ and is used mainly for decoration.
13. In the final stanza of Poem 1137, Emily admits even she is not aware of the _____ of the wind.
14. Emily concludes Poem 1075 by stating this is a day when nature is caught without its ____.
15. In Poem 1699, Emily states that it is more wonderful to do these _____ things when one is not accustomed to doing them.
Short Answer Questions
1. Poem 739 depicts Emily's search for peace. She writes she often felt peace was at hand, almost as some see hallucinations of ______ where there is none.
2. In Poem 737, Emily describes the moon in friendly terms. The description paints a picture of the moon being arrayed in silver, beryl and ____, materials used often in jewelry.
3. This book includes two versions of Poem 824. Both poems address the same topic, but the wording and _____ differ slightly from one poem to the other.
4. In Poem 1391, Emily writes about the effect her actions might have on other people. She states she hangs around just in case others need her, in case her _____ might brighten their day.
5. In Poem 1168, Emily writes about the age old emotions of _________. Although these two emotions are usually found together, they are not generally of equal standing.
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)