|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Poem 149 begins, "She went as quiet as the ___".
2. Paradise is the topic of Poem 215. What does Emily ask about paradise?
(a) Where it is.
(b) Who lives there.
(c) When she will arrive.
(d) Why she hasn't found it.
3. In Poem 536, if none of this is possible, people will generally desire ____ and the ability to be set free from their suffering.
(d) Freedom of worry.
4. Emily uses images of the Biblical characters _______ in Poem 540.
(a) Jesus and Satan.
(b) Matthew and Luke.
(c) David and Goliath.
(d) Herod and Jesus.
5. In Poem 437, according to Emily, what determines if a prayer is accomplished?
(a) If God exists.
(b) If life is worth living.
(c) If prayer is worthwhile.
(d) If God hears the prayer or not.
6. What does Emily talk about in Poem 23?
7. In Poem 536, if they can't be freed from pain, what would humans prefer to do?
(a) Watch beauty.
(c) Fall in love.
(d) Go to sleep.
8. Poem 254 presents a beautiful picture of the idea of hope. In this poem Emily portrays hope as a _______.
9. In Poem 292, Emily writes about gathering the _____ to do something one is afraid to do.
10. In Poem 377, Emily makes the point that it is worse to lose one's faith than to lose _________________?
(a) A child.
(b) A husband.
(c) A large amount of land or money.
(d) A lover.
11. Poem 193, addresses the promise _____ has made that after life is over the human will understand the reason for their troubles on earth.
(a) Christ .
12. In Poem 389, the doctor has left and the _____ has come to take charge of the situation.
13. In Poem 396, Emily writes about a pleasant _____ in life that is closer to occurring than pain.
14. In Poem 429, Emily pledges her obedience to some distant acquaintance. She begins her poem by writing about the way the moon directs the rhythm of what?
(a) Her love.
(b) The sea.
(c) The rivers.
(d) The trees.
15. In the second stanza of Poem 234, Emily talks about the cost associated with going to heaven. Here she uses _____ terminology in her description.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Poem 153, what does the author write is "the only Secret?"
2. Poem 389 is another poem that addresses the reality of death. According to Emily, where has a death occurred?
3. Poem 245 is a poem of loss. In it Emily speaks of a ____ that she has.
4. In Poem 90, Emily talks about having something just _____ without having the ability to grasp hold of it.
5. In Poem 318, Emily describes the _____ as a purple stile or steps, with yellow-colored children climbing over it.
This section contains 467 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)