|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Poem 470, Emily knows she is alive because she is not laid out in a _________________with people looking over her dead body and asking questions about her death.
(d) Funeral home.
2. In Poem 168, Emily moves on to insist that those who read ______ but don't understand the text should not be criticized by those who have studied Biblical texts.
3. What does the king not do in Poem 103?
4. Poem 84 begins, "Her breast is fit for ____, / But I was not a 'Diver.'"
5. In the conclusion of Poem 339, Emily seems to be portraying herself as a daisy. What is she waiting for?
(a) To be picked.
(b) Love to return.
(c) To become a gift.
(d) Her lord to return.
6. In Poem 339, Emily writes of her wonder that such small flowers can hold so much beautiful ____.
7. In Poem 377, Emily makes the point that it is worse to lose one's faith than to lose _________________?
(a) A large amount of land or money.
(b) A lover.
(c) A husband.
(d) A child.
8. In Poem 226, Emily professes allegiance to a friend by telling this friend that she would harass God until God did what?
(a) Let the friend marry.
(b) Saved the friend's life.
(c) Let the friend be with her.
(d) Let the friend into heaven.
9. Poem 118 makes a comment on the violent nature of ___________.
(b) The human race.
10. Poem 245 is a poem of loss. In it Emily speaks of a ____ that she has.
11. In Poem 540, Emily states she set her power against the world and although she didn't have the power ____ had, she had more that the amount of boldness he did.
12. In Poem 80, the author writes, "Our lives are ____ -- / So still -- so Cool --."
13. In Poem 318, where are the sunrise and sunset which Emily describes?
14. In Poem 215, Emily ends with concern that the other ransomed will laugh at her, but she is hopeful that paradise won't be as lonely as where?
(a) New England.
(b) Her soul.
(d) The South.
15. In Poem 234, Emily shows her uncertainty of what actually happens to the bad people by tacking the phrase ______ onto the end of her poem.
(b) "Let's hope."
(d) "I guess."
Short Answer Questions
1. In Poem 437, according to Emily, what determines if a prayer is accomplished?
2. Poem 351 brings forth the image of a person being able to examine their life manually as one might examine ____________.
3. In Poem 103, to what does Emily equate the lack of prayer?
4. In Poem 118, Emily wishes she could do away with all of humanity and begin her time in _________.
5. Emily uses images of the Biblical characters _______ in Poem 540.
This section contains 507 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)