|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Poem 536, if people must have pain, people would prefer to have what to deaden the unpleasant sensations?
(b) Beautiful surroundings.
(c) God's love.
(d) Pain medications.
2. Emily writes about a cat chasing ____ in Poem 507.
(a) A leaf.
(b) A bird.
(c) A mouse.
(d) A squirrel.
3. In Poem 103, what does Emily feel in the morning after having such dreams?
4. In Poem 254, only a severe ____ can drown out the sound of the tune.
5. In Poem 470, Emily first reasons she is alive because she holds a blooming _______ in her hands.
(d) Morning Glory.
6. In Poem 245, when Emily does wake, the ____ is gone, and Emily is left with only its memory.
7. Poem 324 tells about Emily's _____ routine. While others in her village go to church, she stays at home and communes with God in nature.
8. In Poem 389, the doctor has left and the _____ has come to take charge of the situation.
9. In Poem 234, Emily shows her uncertainty of what actually happens to the bad people by tacking the phrase ______ onto the end of her poem.
(a) "Let's hope."
(c) "I guess."
10. In the third stanza of Poem 561, Emily wonders if the person has to work to ______ and if they would prefer to die rather than to go on hurting.
(b) Make money.
(c) Find faith.
(d) Continue to live.
11. In Poem 540, Emily states she set her power against the world and although she didn't have the power ____ had, she had more that the amount of boldness he did.
12. In Poem 67, the sounds of _____ are often agonizing to those who die for their cause.
13. In the final stanza of Poem 507, Emily writes about the cat's dashed hopes for what?
(a) Catching the mouse.
(b) Eating dinner.
(c) Catching the squirrel.
(d) Catching the bird.
14. In Poem 437, ____ is referred to as the One whose presence is denied to men.
(a) St. Paul.
(d) The Devil.
15. In Poem 277, Emily contemplates what might happen if she were to do what?
(a) Kill her friend.
(b) Have children.
(c) Kill herself.
Short Answer Questions
1. Paradise is the topic of Poem 215. What does Emily ask about paradise?
2. In Poem 339, Emily writes of her wonder that such small flowers can hold so much beautiful ____.
3. Poem 136 begins, "Have you got a ____ in your little heart, / Where bashful flowers blow?"
4. In Poem 351, after her contemplation is over, she decides even she might learn to like to live ____ just as she likes her earthly home.
5. In Poem 377, loss of faith turns the being into something of a _________.
This section contains 464 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)