|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the second stanza of Poem 234, Emily talks about the cost associated with going to heaven. Here she uses _____ terminology in her description.
2. In Poem 127, if some people knew such dwellings were waiting for them, by what means would they go there as soon as possible?
3. In Poem 292, Emily encourages one to go ahead and try even if the courage is not there. She suggests holding a steady _____ and also taking deep breaths.
4. In Poem 470, Emily also states she knows she is alive because she does not own a __________.
5. In Poem 324, instead of the bells and ornamentation of a large church, Emily's music is that of a ____.
6. In Poem 437, according to Emily, what determines if a prayer is accomplished?
(a) If life is worth living.
(b) If God hears the prayer or not.
(c) If prayer is worthwhile.
(d) If God exists.
7. The first of Emily Dickinson's poems is a cry for a single man to choose what for himself?
(a) A garden.
(b) A flower.
(c) A house.
(d) A lover.
8. In Poem 118, Emily wishes she could do away with all of humanity and begin her time in _________.
9. In Poem 127, Emily writes about the ______ that have been prepared in heaven for God's children.
10. Emily writes about a cat chasing ____ in Poem 507.
(a) A mouse.
(b) A squirrel.
(c) A leaf.
(d) A bird.
11. In Poem 226, Emily professes allegiance to a friend by telling this friend that she would harass God until God did what?
(a) Saved the friend's life.
(b) Let the friend marry.
(c) Let the friend be with her.
(d) Let the friend into heaven.
12. Doom is the subject of Poem 475. In this poem, what is described by Emily as doom?
(a) A mountain.
(b) A storm.
(c) A house.
(d) A garden.
13. Emily attempts to convince the man that being single is _________ in Poem 1?
(c) Not natural.
14. What is the poet speaking to in Poem 48?
(a) A dove.
(b) A flower.
(c) A butterfly.
(d) A jewel.
15. In Poem 429 _____ is always obedient to the power of the moon and never oversteps its bounds.
(a) The stars.
(b) The seasons.
(c) Her love.
(d) The sea.
Short Answer Questions
1. Emily writes about the color of the grave in Poem 411. In the first stanza, Emily writes about the _____ of the grave in the summer.
2. In Poem 245, when Emily does wake, the ____ is gone, and Emily is left with only its memory.
3. Among what may Angels be seen when the sun is hottest in Poem 94?
4. In Poem 437, ____ is referred to as the One whose presence is denied to men.
5. In Poem 339, Emily writes of how she tends her _____ in honor of some absent person.
This section contains 470 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)