|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What language can the writer speak who comes with Astrid in Chapter 6?
2. In Chapter 7, what color does Caroline dye her hair?
3. In Chapter 8, how many guest rooms are there at Zen-Dojo Tozan?
4. In Chapter 8, how long before her retirement does Teresa buy a ticket to Switzerland?
5. In Chapter 8, how old is Teresa when she decides to retire?
Short Essay Questions
1. Did Teresa date or marry after her divorce from Bert?
2. How does Teresa feel after her flight to Switzerland in Chapter 8?
3. How did Holly end up living in Switzerland?
4. In Chapter 6, what is Caroline doing?
5. Who was Ernestine and what happened to her?
6. What children do Caroline and Franny have?
7. Why does Leo rent a house for the summer in Chapter 6?
8. In Chapter 5, what does Holly tell her mother about Cal's death?
9. How does Jeannette describe Albie in Chapter 5?
10. What does Franny's mother tell her to make for dinner in Chapter 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
After Teresa retires, she visits Holly at the meditation center in Switzerland. What does the meditation center mean to both of them, and what benefits do both women gain from the center?
Essay Topic 2
The author tells the stories with simple language. Characters who use simple language and who are less sophisticated seem to be portrayed by the author as more reliable. How does the way that the author uses simple language to portray characters make some characters seem more honest and trustworthy and others to seem to be dishonest and untrustworthy?
Essay Topic 3
At the end of the novel, Franny visits Bert. Why does Franny visit Bert, and what does her longing for home have to do with the visit?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)