|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 5, how many years ago did Albie disappear?
2. What Indian tribe is rumored to be in the DNA on Jeanette's mother's side of the family?
3. What was the name of Jeanette's grandmother's housekeeper?
4. In Chapter 5, how many flights of stairs does Jeanette climb to her apartment?
5. In Chapter 7, where does Franny say that Leo was buried?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Bert and Teresa meet?
2. Why does Leo rent a house for the summer in Chapter 6?
3. In Chapter 8, what are Teresa's reasons for retiring?
4. In Chapter 6, why does Leo struggle to make ends meet?
5. How does Teresa feel after her flight to Switzerland in Chapter 8?
6. In what way is Leo and Franny's relationship doomed even before the house guests in Chapter 6?
7. How does Albie say that Cal died?
8. Why do Fix, Caroline, and Franny go to Teresa's house on Fix's birthday?
9. What does Franny's mother tell her to make for dinner in Chapter 6?
10. What is the car like that Holly drives to pick up her mother from the airport in Chapter 8?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fix had a partner by the name of Lomer. Even when he is old and dealing with cancer, Fix has fond memories of Lomer and their relationship. What type of relationship did Fix and Lomer have and why is Fix affected by the relationship so many years later?
Essay Topic 2
The author does not tell the story chronologically. How does the author’s choice to use a non-linear structure influence the plot and how the story develops?
Essay Topic 3
Blame for the divorce is placed upon certain characters depending upon who is contemplating the divorce and how it occurred. Who does Fix blame for the divorce and why?
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)