|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Franny in Chapter 7?
2. In Chapter 5, how many flights of stairs does Jeanette climb to her apartment?
3. What Indian tribe is rumored to be in the DNA on Jeanette's mother's side of the family?
4. How many people live at Zen-Dojo Tozan in Chapter 8?
5. How old was Holly when she began balancing the checkbook for her mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 8, what are Teresa's reasons for retiring?
2. In Chapter 5, how does Fode know that Albie is Jeannette's brother?
3. In Chapter 6, why does Leo struggle to make ends meet?
4. Why do Fix, Caroline, and Franny go to Teresa's house on Fix's birthday?
5. In Chapter 5, what does Holly tell her mother about Cal's death?
6. At the beginning of Chapter 7, where are Fix and his daughters driving and why?
7. Why does Leo rent a house for the summer in Chapter 6?
8. In Chapter 7, why does Fix say that Leo's wife is the unsung hero in the relationship between him and Franny?
9. How did Fix and Marjorie get their house in Santa Monica?
10. How did Bert and Teresa meet?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Because of the divorce, the Cousins and Keating children spend most of their summers together. What type of relationship do the six children have, and why is Albie often on the outside when the older children do things together?
Essay Topic 2
Fix had a partner by the name of Lomer. Even when he is old and dealing with cancer, Fix has fond memories of Lomer and their relationship. What type of relationship did Fix and Lomer have and why is Fix affected by the relationship so many years later?
Essay Topic 3
Albie shows up at Jeanette’s apartment unexpectedly, and he is invited to stay until he can get settled. How would you describe the relationship between Albie and each member of Jeanette’s family, including the babysitter? With whom does Albie have the most in common and why?
This section contains 874 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)