|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 4, during a normal work shift, how many times would an employee hear the music tape?
2. What color dress is Caroline wearing in Chapter 1?
3. How much time does Teresa ask to have the children for summers as a part of the divorce decree?
4. In Chapter 2, what is the nurse's name who is helping Fix and Franny?
5. What was the occupation of Bert's great-grandfather?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Wallis die?
2. In Chapter 2 what did Beverly ask Fix to do once for Albie and how did Fix help?
3. Where did Heinrich go to college and what did he study?
4. What is Leon's problem with Iowa City?
5. What is Franny doing when she sees Leon Posen in Chapter 4?
6. How much time does Bert petition to spend with his children and how does he get what he wants?
7. Who is Dick Spencer?
8. In Chapter 4, why is Franny a cocktail waitress?
9. Who is the nurse who gets Fix's chemotherapy started and what does she look like?
10. Why has Fix always favored Caroline over Franny?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 4, readers discover who Franny is and what motivates her. How does the author develop Franny’s character—through implicit or explicit details—and how does the way that Franny is portrayed reveal her strengths, weaknesses, motivations, conflicts, and personality?
Essay Topic 2
The mood in the novel shifts as different stories are told. How does the author create mood in the novel and how does mood change from chapter to chapter? Does the book have an overall mood?
Essay Topic 3
The author tells the stories with simple language. Characters who use simple language and who are less sophisticated seem to be portrayed by the author as more reliable. How does the way that the author uses simple language to portray characters make some characters seem more honest and trustworthy and others to seem to be dishonest and untrustworthy?
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)