|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Bonnie marry?
2. What is Fix's date of birth?
3. In Chapter 3, what color is the shirt that Holly is wearing that used to belong to Caroline?
4. In Chapter 4, where is Leon Posen teaching a college class?
5. What does Bert wear to the christening party?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 3, where does Beverly go when her house is full of children and she cannot even go to her bedroom?
2. Why does Cousins decide to attend the christening party in Chapter 1?
3. Who is Dick Spencer?
4. Who is the nurse who gets Fix's chemotherapy started and what does she look like?
5. How many times has Beverly been married and to whom?
6. Who is in the kitchen when Fix returns with ice in Chapter 1?
7. What does Cousins discuss with Father Joe Mike at the christening party in Chapter 1?
8. What does a mutual friend tell Teresa is Bert's reason for moving back to Virginia with Beverly?
9. Why did kids love Lomer?
10. Why does Franny want to know if Leon is staying at the hotel in Chapter 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fix had a partner by the name of Lomer. Even when he is old and dealing with cancer, Fix has fond memories of Lomer and their relationship. What type of relationship did Fix and Lomer have and why is Fix affected by the relationship so many years later?
Essay Topic 2
After Teresa retires, she visits Holly at the meditation center in Switzerland. What does the meditation center mean to both of them, and what benefits do both women gain from the center?
Essay Topic 3
The author tells the stories with simple language. Characters who use simple language and who are less sophisticated seem to be portrayed by the author as more reliable. How does the way that the author uses simple language to portray characters make some characters seem more honest and trustworthy and others to seem to be dishonest and untrustworthy?
This section contains 833 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)