|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the term canonization refer to?
2. What is the reason for the ground rent a land owner should owe?
3. Who does a person that owns property owe ground rent to?
4. What does Paine explain about the Almighty's response after Eve bites the apple?
5. What is not present in the Indian culture?
Essay Topic 1
Paine and Burke disagreed on several important events regarding the French Revolution.
1) Compare the views of Paine and Burke on the following issues: Dr. Price's speech at the celebration of the English Revolution, the French's actions against Louis XVI, Versailles, and the Bastille.
2) Explain the different techniques used in conveying the arguments by Paine and Burke, including which one was more effective and why.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the rivalry between Paine and Burke as it is chronicled in the Rights of Man. Include how the two were once allies, what caused them to be on opposite sides, and the differences between both of their motives. Also, describe Paine's intentions with the Rights of Man and the advantages he has over Burke in his writings.
Essay Topic 3
In the Rights of Man, Part II, Paine elaborates on the role of government and whether a society can function without one. Explain what Paine believes the central responsibilities of government are, the tactics it uses to increase the control it has over its citizens, and why Paine believes that a society can exist in the absence of government. Include how America self-imposed its own laws during the beginning of the American Revolution as an example and describe what the key ingredients were in its success.
This section contains 1,661 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)