|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Paine surmise Burke's view of government entails?
2. According to Paine, what should each man strive for?
3. How important is it for a civilized society to guarantee a better life for its people than if they had been born before civilization?
4. How many years does Paine think the aristocracy or monarchy will last after the writing of his pamphlet?
5. Which one of Burke's books contained several pages quoted from the Rights of Man?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the concept of land ownership and rent owned, and how does it compare to the approach to land that people had in ancient times?
2. What is Paine's writing style throughout Common Sense and his other collected works, and how will Paine be remembered?
3. What issue does Paine address concerning the Old and New Testaments?
4. What is Paine's belief about land distribution at birth and why does he think it is impractical?
5. Why does Paine believe that mystery and Miracles are incompatible with religion?
6. How does Paine define a revelation?
7. What are the two reasons why Paine waited before writing and releasing the Rights of Man, Part II?
8. What question does Paine pose to Burke after a comment made by Burke during a speech in Canada?
9. How does Paine feel about the bad laws that exist and whether to follow them?
10. How does Paine handle the responses to the Rights of Man by Burke and others?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe what America is like after the revolution, the new government, why Paine believes it will succeed where others have failed, and the impact it has on the other countries of the world. Use examples from the end of The Crisis to support your analysis and explain why Paine is grateful to the revolution for his literary career.
Essay Topic 2
Paine writes about Agrarian Justice and the distribution of land in America.
1) Describe Paine's initial theory of how land should be given to people and why he believes it is impractical.
2) Explain how Paine considers land cultivation versus dispossession.
3) Analyze Paine's concluding plan for compensating people who he thinks have been cheated of their rightful inheritance.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Paine's reasons for delaying the release of the Rights of Man, Part II. Include an analysis of Burke's responses to the first part of the Rights of Man and how Paine replies to him and others who attempt to challenge his views.
This section contains 999 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)