Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What must be in place once a country becomes civilized?
2. What claim does Paine make about cultivation?
3. What does Paine think is created between religions by the existence of certain churches?
4. What is not present in the Indian culture?
5. Does Paine believe it is possible to evolve from a natural state to a civilized state?
Essay Topic 1
In the Rights of Man, Part II, Paine elaborates on the role of government and whether a society can function without one. Explain what Paine believes the central responsibilities of government are, the tactics it uses to increase the control it has over its citizens, and why Paine believes that a society can exist in the absence of government. Include how America self-imposed its own laws during the beginning of the American Revolution as an example and describe what the key ingredients were in its success.
Essay Topic 2
Paine and Burke disagreed on several important events regarding the French Revolution.
1) Compare the views of Paine and Burke on the following issues: Dr. Price's speech at the celebration of the English Revolution, the French's actions against Louis XVI, Versailles, and the Bastille.
2) Explain the different techniques used in conveying the arguments by Paine and Burke, including which one was more effective and why.
Essay Topic 3
Describe in detail why it was necessary for America to separate from England and declare its independence. Also, list and explain each of the reasons why England was not capable of governing America along with the benefits that the United States will have as a result of establishing their own country.
This section contains 352 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)