|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On which concept was the old Whig party based?
2. Which countries have left room in their Constitution for revision if necessary in the future?
3. Which one of the following does Paine list as an example of an uncivilized culture?
4. How many years does Paine think the aristocracy or monarchy will last after the writing of his pamphlet?
5. In Paine's opinion, how is the admiration of a story determined?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the difference between democracy and representation?
2. What question does Paine pose to Burke after a comment made by Burke during a speech in Canada?
3. Why does Paine have a favorable opinion of the Marquis de La Fayette and what is the one area where the two differ?
4. What is Paine's writing style throughout Common Sense and his other collected works, and how will Paine be remembered?
5. How are all people born in a natural state, and what does Paine think the responsibility of a civilized state is?
6. What are the two reasons why Paine waited before writing and releasing the Rights of Man, Part II?
7. What is the historical significance of the life of Jesus?
8. What is Paine's belief about land distribution at birth and why does he think it is impractical?
9. What does Paine believe is the general focus of any effective constitution?
10. What is Paine's definition of a civilized society?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the letter to the Inhabitants of America that Paine writes about in the beginning years of the revolution. Include a description of his thoughts on the previous governments of Ancient Rome and Greece, as well as the similarities and differences between them and the new government that America is forming.
Essay Topic 2
Paine writes about Agrarian Justice and the distribution of land in America.
1) Describe Paine's initial theory of how land should be given to people and why he believes it is impractical.
2) Explain how Paine considers land cultivation versus dispossession.
3) Analyze Paine's concluding plan for compensating people who he thinks have been cheated of their rightful inheritance.
Essay Topic 3
Describe what America is like after the revolution, the new government, why Paine believes it will succeed where others have failed, and the impact it has on the other countries of the world. Use examples from the end of The Crisis to support your analysis and explain why Paine is grateful to the revolution for his literary career.
This section contains 1,038 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)