|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which one of the following does Paine list as an example of an uncivilized culture?
2. What point does Paine make about the rights of people to believe in events that took place?
3. Which Indians does Paine use as an example in Agrarian Justice?
4. What type of payment does Paine think should be paid to those who have been cheated of their inheritance?
5. What are the main components of a civilized society?
Essay Topic 1
Explain the letter to the Inhabitants of America that Paine writes about in the beginning years of the revolution. Include a description of his thoughts on the previous governments of Ancient Rome and Greece, as well as the similarities and differences between them and the new government that America is forming.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Paine's reasons for delaying the release of the Rights of Man, Part II. Include an analysis of Burke's responses to the first part of the Rights of Man and how Paine replies to him and others who attempt to challenge his views.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the differences between democracy and representation using several examples from the Rights of Man, Part II. Be sure to include Paine's main points on each concept of government, which one he believes to be more effective, and why.
This section contains 1,670 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)