|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What ancient philosopher does Paine mention in Age of Reason?
2. What part of the American Revolution received the most attention, according to Paine?
3. How well were Paine's views on religion known when Age of Reason was written?
4. As mentioned by Paine in Age of Reason, what did Jesus preach?
5. What sacrifice was made in the formation of some churches, according to Paine?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Paine's definition of a civilized society?
2. Why does Paine have a favorable opinion of the Marquis de La Fayette and what is the one area where the two differ?
3. What is the proof of God's existence that Paine also believes is a guide for people to live their lives?
4. How does Paine define a revelation?
5. What is Paine's writing style throughout Common Sense and his other collected works, and how will Paine be remembered?
6. What should civilized states be concerned about ?
7. What bold prediction does Paine make about the future of the monarchy and why?
8. How are all people born in a natural state, and what does Paine think the responsibility of a civilized state is?
9. What are some of the doubts Paine expresses about prophecies?
10. What are Paine's thoughts on the Immaculate Conception and the Resurrection?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze Paine's letter to General Howe by including answers to the following:
1) Why does Paine write to Howe and what is the purpose of his letter?
2) What are some examples of Howe's mistakes and lack of skills in the war, and why did Paine consider him to be incapable of gaining a victory except by accident?
3) How does America defeat Howe and cause him to surrender?
4) In what way does Howe's approach to the war depict the difference in the mentality of each country involved?
5) What were America's reasons for fighting in the American Revolution and why was England unable to understand them?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the rivalry between Paine and Burke as it is chronicled in the Rights of Man. Include how the two were once allies, what caused them to be on opposite sides, and the differences between both of their motives. Also, describe Paine's intentions with the Rights of Man and the advantages he has over Burke in his writings.
Essay Topic 3
Describe what America is like after the revolution, the new government, why Paine believes it will succeed where others have failed, and the impact it has on the other countries of the world. Use examples from the end of The Crisis to support your analysis and explain why Paine is grateful to the revolution for his literary career.
This section contains 934 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)