|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the conquerors treat defeated enemies in the earliest known governments?
2. According to the second part of the Rights of Man, when was Combining Principals and Practice written?
3. What does Paine believe is possible with some of the cultures that are considered uncivilized?
4. What does Paine explain about the Almighty's response after Eve bites the apple?
5. How many people witnessed and documented the Resurrection?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Paine rejects the notion that religion should be used in politics in any way.
1) Describe Paine's views on religion and what should be considered when opposing someone's opinions or beliefs.
2) Explain Paine's warning against using religion for political purposes and the results of what happens when faith is misused in this way.
3) Describe the Quakers and their situation according to Paine's analysis of them in The Crisis.
Essay Topic 2
Paine and Burke disagreed on several important events regarding the French Revolution.
1) Compare the views of Paine and Burke on the following issues: Dr. Price's speech at the celebration of the English Revolution, the French's actions against Louis XVI, Versailles, and the Bastille.
2) Explain the different techniques used in conveying the arguments by Paine and Burke, including which one was more effective and why.
Essay Topic 3
Describe what America is like after the revolution, the new government, why Paine believes it will succeed where others have failed, and the impact it has on the other countries of the world. Use examples from the end of The Crisis to support your analysis and explain why Paine is grateful to the revolution for his literary career.
This section contains 1,614 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)