|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From where does Paine think Christianity adapted a lot of its philosophies?
2. What part of the American Revolution received the most attention, according to Paine?
3. How many of the pamphlets printed in response to the Rights of Man does Paine consider worth remembering?
4. How well were Paine's views on religion known when Age of Reason was written?
5. What point does Paine make about the rights of people to believe in events that took place?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the difference between democracy and representation?
2. What are Paine's thoughts on the Immaculate Conception and the Resurrection?
3. What should civilized states be concerned about ?
4. What are some of the doubts Paine expresses about prophecies?
5. What are the two reasons why Paine waited before writing and releasing the Rights of Man, Part II?
6. Why does Paine have a favorable opinion of the Marquis de La Fayette and what is the one area where the two differ?
7. How does Paine consider cultivation and dispossession?
8. What is Paine's belief about land distribution at birth and why does he think it is impractical?
9. Why does Paine believe that mystery and Miracles are incompatible with religion?
10. What opinion does Paine have of people who believe and follow Christianity?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Paine's theory from the beginning of The Crisis about how America should approach the war and the conditions that face the country. Include how Paine believes it will not be an easy war to win, why he thinks America will be victorious, and his general ideas about rewards in proportion to the effort it takes to earn them.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the letter to the Inhabitants of America that Paine writes about in the beginning years of the revolution. Include a description of his thoughts on the previous governments of Ancient Rome and Greece, as well as the similarities and differences between them and the new government that America is forming.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the rivalry between Paine and Burke as it is chronicled in the Rights of Man. Include how the two were once allies, what caused them to be on opposite sides, and the differences between both of their motives. Also, describe Paine's intentions with the Rights of Man and the advantages he has over Burke in his writings.
This section contains 984 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)