|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What must be in place once a country becomes civilized?
2. What claim does Paine make about cultivation?
3. What does Paine think is created between religions by the existence of certain churches?
4. What is not present in the Indian culture?
5. Does Paine believe it is possible to evolve from a natural state to a civilized state?
Essay Topic 1
Explain the major differences between a natural state and a civilized state, including the benefits of each, and how Paine thinks they should both be incorporated into a government. Provide a detailed analysis of the goals a civilized society has and examples of why the equality of birth is essential to a society's growth.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the letter to the Inhabitants of America that Paine writes about in the beginning years of the revolution. Include a description of his thoughts on the previous governments of Ancient Rome and Greece, as well as the similarities and differences between them and the new government that America is forming.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze Paine's letter to General Howe by including answers to the following:
1) Why does Paine write to Howe and what is the purpose of his letter?
2) What are some examples of Howe's mistakes and lack of skills in the war, and why did Paine consider him to be incapable of gaining a victory except by accident?
3) How does America defeat Howe and cause him to surrender?
4) In what way does Howe's approach to the war depict the difference in the mentality of each country involved?
5) What were America's reasons for fighting in the American Revolution and why was England unable to understand them?
This section contains 1,611 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)