Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What must be in place once a country becomes civilized?
2. What claim does Paine make about cultivation?
3. What does Paine think is created between religions by the existence of certain churches?
4. What is not present in the Indian culture?
5. Does Paine believe it is possible to evolve from a natural state to a civilized state?
Essay Topic 1
Paine rejects the notion that religion should be used in politics in any way.
1) Describe Paine's views on religion and what should be considered when opposing someone's opinions or beliefs.
2) Explain Paine's warning against using religion for political purposes and the results of what happens when faith is misused in this way.
3) Describe the Quakers and their situation according to Paine's analysis of them in The Crisis.
Essay Topic 2
In the Rights of Man, Part II, Paine elaborates on the role of government and whether a society can function without one. Explain what Paine believes the central responsibilities of government are, the tactics it uses to increase the control it has over its citizens, and why Paine believes that a society can exist in the absence of government. Include how America self-imposed its own laws during the beginning of the American Revolution as an example and describe what the key ingredients were in its success.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the major differences between a natural state and a civilized state, including the benefits of each, and how Paine thinks they should both be incorporated into a government. Provide a detailed analysis of the goals a civilized society has and examples of why the equality of birth is essential to a society's growth.
This section contains 358 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)