|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is not present in the Indian culture?
2. Why does Paine admire the Marquis?
3. What does Paine think is odd about the conversation between Eve and Satan?
4. When does Paine believe every person should be issued property?
5. How did the conquerors treat defeated enemies in the earliest known governments?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Paine criticizes the British government on a variety of levels.
1) Describe the positive and negative aspects of the Parliament.
2) Explain Paine's objections to the monarchy and the examples he uses to reveal its hypocritical absurdity.
3) Analyze the two parts of the English Constitution, why Paine believes it is ineffective, and his suggestions to update it.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the letter to the Inhabitants of America that Paine writes about in the beginning years of the revolution. Include a description of his thoughts on the previous governments of Ancient Rome and Greece, as well as the similarities and differences between them and the new government that America is forming.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Thomas Paine's life and background, including where he is originally from and what his reputation was before, during, and after writing Common Sense. Also, discuss Paine's motives in writing his pamphlets and the reasons that he chose to remain anonymous at the time. Finally, use the information in Paine's work to explain why he believed strongly in the American Revolution and how his experiences qualified him to chronicle the events as America declared Independence.
This section contains 1,606 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)