|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes Paine's goal of every person receiving property impossible?
2. According to Paine, what happened as a result of the Christian tales?
3. In what way does the concept of holding property disinherit people?
4. According to Paine, what age should a person be to receive compensation for an disinheritance?
5. How many rebuttals did Burke make to Paine's Rights of Man?
Essay Topic 1
Describe what America is like after the revolution, the new government, why Paine believes it will succeed where others have failed, and the impact it has on the other countries of the world. Use examples from the end of The Crisis to support your analysis and explain why Paine is grateful to the revolution for his literary career.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the rivalry between Paine and Burke as it is chronicled in the Rights of Man. Include how the two were once allies, what caused them to be on opposite sides, and the differences between both of their motives. Also, describe Paine's intentions with the Rights of Man and the advantages he has over Burke in his writings.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the differences between society and government as Paine refers to them in the Introduction. Use the examples that Paine provides and your analysis to explain the roles of each of them in a successful country, why and when a society needs a government, and what the priority of the elected officials in that government should be.
This section contains 1,626 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)