Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What must be in place once a country becomes civilized?
2. What claim does Paine make about cultivation?
3. What does Paine think is created between religions by the existence of certain churches?
4. What is not present in the Indian culture?
5. Does Paine believe it is possible to evolve from a natural state to a civilized state?
Essay Topic 1
Analyze Paine's letter to General Howe by including answers to the following:
1) Why does Paine write to Howe and what is the purpose of his letter?
2) What are some examples of Howe's mistakes and lack of skills in the war, and why did Paine consider him to be incapable of gaining a victory except by accident?
3) How does America defeat Howe and cause him to surrender?
4) In what way does Howe's approach to the war depict the difference in the mentality of each country involved?
5) What were America's reasons for fighting in the American Revolution and why was England unable to understand them?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the letter to the Inhabitants of America that Paine writes about in the beginning years of the revolution. Include a description of his thoughts on the previous governments of Ancient Rome and Greece, as well as the similarities and differences between them and the new government that America is forming.
Essay Topic 3
Paine rejects the notion that religion should be used in politics in any way.
1) Describe Paine's views on religion and what should be considered when opposing someone's opinions or beliefs.
2) Explain Paine's warning against using religion for political purposes and the results of what happens when faith is misused in this way.
3) Describe the Quakers and their situation according to Paine's analysis of them in The Crisis.
This section contains 372 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)