|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What must be in place once a country becomes civilized?
2. What claim does Paine make about cultivation?
3. What does Paine think is created between religions by the existence of certain churches?
4. What is not present in the Indian culture?
5. Does Paine believe it is possible to evolve from a natural state to a civilized state?
Essay Topic 1
Analyze Paine's letter to General Howe by including answers to the following:
1) Why does Paine write to Howe and what is the purpose of his letter?
2) What are some examples of Howe's mistakes and lack of skills in the war, and why did Paine consider him to be incapable of gaining a victory except by accident?
3) How does America defeat Howe and cause him to surrender?
4) In what way does Howe's approach to the war depict the difference in the mentality of each country involved?
5) What were America's reasons for fighting in the American Revolution and why was England unable to understand them?
Essay Topic 2
Describe in detail why it was necessary for America to separate from England and declare its independence. Also, list and explain each of the reasons why England was not capable of governing America along with the benefits that the United States will have as a result of establishing their own country.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Thomas Paine's life and background, including where he is originally from and what his reputation was before, during, and after writing Common Sense. Also, discuss Paine's motives in writing his pamphlets and the reasons that he chose to remain anonymous at the time. Finally, use the information in Paine's work to explain why he believed strongly in the American Revolution and how his experiences qualified him to chronicle the events as America declared Independence.
This section contains 1,611 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)