Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What must be in place once a country becomes civilized?
2. What claim does Paine make about cultivation?
3. What does Paine think is created between religions by the existence of certain churches?
4. What is not present in the Indian culture?
5. Does Paine believe it is possible to evolve from a natural state to a civilized state?
Essay Topic 1
Paine criticizes the British government on a variety of levels.
1) Describe the positive and negative aspects of the Parliament.
2) Explain Paine's objections to the monarchy and the examples he uses to reveal its hypocritical absurdity.
3) Analyze the two parts of the English Constitution, why Paine believes it is ineffective, and his suggestions to update it.
Essay Topic 2
In the Rights of Man, Part II, Paine elaborates on the role of government and whether a society can function without one. Explain what Paine believes the central responsibilities of government are, the tactics it uses to increase the control it has over its citizens, and why Paine believes that a society can exist in the absence of government. Include how America self-imposed its own laws during the beginning of the American Revolution as an example and describe what the key ingredients were in its success.
Essay Topic 3
Explain Paine's theory from the beginning of The Crisis about how America should approach the war and the conditions that face the country. Include how Paine believes it will not be an easy war to win, why he thinks America will be victorious, and his general ideas about rewards in proportion to the effort it takes to earn them.
This section contains 1,611 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)