|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much of the earth's population does the concept of holding property disinherit?
2. How did the conquerors treat defeated enemies in the earliest known governments?
3. What form does Satan take on in reappearing?
4. Which Indians does Paine use as an example in Agrarian Justice?
5. From where does Paine think Christianity adapted a lot of its philosophies?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Paine's theory on how people who have been cheated of their land inheritance should be compensated?
2. What is Paine's theories on churches and which one does he ascribe to?
3. How does Paine consider cultivation and dispossession?
4. What does Paine believe is the general focus of any effective constitution?
5. How does Paine define a revelation?
6. How does Paine feel about the bad laws that exist and whether to follow them?
7. What is Paine's belief about land distribution at birth and why does he think it is impractical?
8. What opinion does Paine have of people who believe and follow Christianity?
9. What question does Paine pose to Burke after a comment made by Burke during a speech in Canada?
10. What is the difference between democracy and representation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Age of Reason features Paine's views of religion as he questions certain aspects of the different churches and practices.
1) Describe Paine's personal opinions about religion, churches, and which one he ascribes to.
2) Analyze Paine's description of revelation and the way it is referred to by different religions.
3) Explain some of the different examples of how Paine questions some of the tales in Christianity, and his general views on how Christians live their lives.
4) Describe why Paine has doubts about the authenticity of the Old and New Testaments, what he believes is the most important proof of God's existence, and what guide people should refer to when seeking God's advice or wishes.
Essay Topic 2
Explain Paine's theory from the beginning of The Crisis about how America should approach the war and the conditions that face the country. Include how Paine believes it will not be an easy war to win, why he thinks America will be victorious, and his general ideas about rewards in proportion to the effort it takes to earn them.
Essay Topic 3
Paine criticizes the British government on a variety of levels.
1) Describe the positive and negative aspects of the Parliament.
2) Explain Paine's objections to the monarchy and the examples he uses to reveal its hypocritical absurdity.
3) Analyze the two parts of the English Constitution, why Paine believes it is ineffective, and his suggestions to update it.
This section contains 994 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)