|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Paine, what should each man strive for?
2. What does Paine find interesting about the Immaculate Conception?
3. What season does Paine use in the metaphor that ends the second part of the Rights of Man?
4. What claim does Paine make about cultivation?
5. What does Paine think is created between religions by the existence of certain churches?
Short Essay Questions
1. What should civilized states be concerned about ?
2. What are some of the doubts Paine expresses about prophecies?
3. What opinion does Paine have of people who believe and follow Christianity?
4. What does Paine believe is the general focus of any effective constitution?
5. How does Paine define a revelation?
6. What are Paine's thoughts on the Immaculate Conception and the Resurrection?
7. What question does Paine pose to Burke after a comment made by Burke during a speech in Canada?
8. What is Paine's theories on churches and which one does he ascribe to?
9. How does Paine consider cultivation and dispossession?
10. Why does Paine have a favorable opinion of the Marquis de La Fayette and what is the one area where the two differ?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe in detail why it was necessary for America to separate from England and declare its independence. Also, list and explain each of the reasons why England was not capable of governing America along with the benefits that the United States will have as a result of establishing their own country.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Paine's reasons for delaying the release of the Rights of Man, Part II. Include an analysis of Burke's responses to the first part of the Rights of Man and how Paine replies to him and others who attempt to challenge his views.
Essay Topic 3
George Washington is considered by many to be the best example of what a leader should be and Paine refers to Washington's life on a number of occasions in his work.
1) Describe the significance of Washington's career in the military and how his desire to remain out of politics made him America's most qualified choice for the first President of the United States.
2) Explain why Washington received no monetary compensation for his service as president, and how his situation reflects the theory that Paine has about historical people and their financial rewards.
3) Analyze why Washington is still regarded so highly, the values that he represents, and why they are needed in any government.
This section contains 957 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)