|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many people witnessed and documented the Resurrection?
2. Through his belief in God, what does Paine hope for?
3. What is Paine's opinion of the dispossession of property?
4. From where does Paine think Christianity adapted a lot of its philosophies?
5. What are the main components of a civilized society?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the historical significance of the life of Jesus?
2. What opinion does Paine have of people who believe and follow Christianity?
3. What is Paine's belief about land distribution at birth and why does he think it is impractical?
4. What question does Paine pose to Burke after a comment made by Burke during a speech in Canada?
5. What bold prediction does Paine make about the future of the monarchy and why?
6. What example of an uncivilized society does Paine use in Agrarian Justice?
7. Why does Paine have a favorable opinion of the Marquis de La Fayette and what is the one area where the two differ?
8. What is Paine's theories on churches and which one does he ascribe to?
9. How does Paine handle the responses to the Rights of Man by Burke and others?
10. What should civilized states be concerned about ?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the deception that England uses with its people during the French Revolution. Why did the English government publicly support the war and how did their actions indicate their lack of support? What are the ways England increases the revenue to the government by using wars or conflicts with other countries? What happens when it appears that England and France might reconcile, and how does England make sure it has another country to dispute? Why do the actions of the English government confirm Paine's negative description of it throughout his works?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze Paine's letter to General Howe by including answers to the following:
1) Why does Paine write to Howe and what is the purpose of his letter?
2) What are some examples of Howe's mistakes and lack of skills in the war, and why did Paine consider him to be incapable of gaining a victory except by accident?
3) How does America defeat Howe and cause him to surrender?
4) In what way does Howe's approach to the war depict the difference in the mentality of each country involved?
5) What were America's reasons for fighting in the American Revolution and why was England unable to understand them?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Thomas Paine's life and background, including where he is originally from and what his reputation was before, during, and after writing Common Sense. Also, discuss Paine's motives in writing his pamphlets and the reasons that he chose to remain anonymous at the time. Finally, use the information in Paine's work to explain why he believed strongly in the American Revolution and how his experiences qualified him to chronicle the events as America declared Independence.
This section contains 1,054 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)