|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which one of Burke's books contained several pages quoted from the Rights of Man?
2. How old is the president of the United States required to be in order to presumably prevent inexperienced people from having the position?
3. Does Paine believe it is possible to evolve from a civilized state to a natural state?
4. Which party did Washington belong to when he became the first president of the United States?
5. How well were Paine's views on religion known when Age of Reason was written?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Paine's religious views when writing Age of Reason?
2. What example of an uncivilized society does Paine use in Agrarian Justice?
3. What opinion does Paine have of people who believe and follow Christianity?
4. What is the concept of land ownership and rent owned, and how does it compare to the approach to land that people had in ancient times?
5. What issue does Paine address concerning the Old and New Testaments?
6. What is Paine's definition of a civilized society?
7. How does Paine define a revelation?
8. How are all people born in a natural state, and what does Paine think the responsibility of a civilized state is?
9. What is Paine's theory on how people who have been cheated of their land inheritance should be compensated?
10. Why does Paine believe that mystery and Miracles are incompatible with religion?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Paine and Burke disagreed on several important events regarding the French Revolution.
1) Compare the views of Paine and Burke on the following issues: Dr. Price's speech at the celebration of the English Revolution, the French's actions against Louis XVI, Versailles, and the Bastille.
2) Explain the different techniques used in conveying the arguments by Paine and Burke, including which one was more effective and why.
Essay Topic 2
George Washington is considered by many to be the best example of what a leader should be and Paine refers to Washington's life on a number of occasions in his work.
1) Describe the significance of Washington's career in the military and how his desire to remain out of politics made him America's most qualified choice for the first President of the United States.
2) Explain why Washington received no monetary compensation for his service as president, and how his situation reflects the theory that Paine has about historical people and their financial rewards.
3) Analyze why Washington is still regarded so highly, the values that he represents, and why they are needed in any government.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the major differences between a natural state and a civilized state, including the benefits of each, and how Paine thinks they should both be incorporated into a government. Provide a detailed analysis of the goals a civilized society has and examples of why the equality of birth is essential to a society's growth.
This section contains 983 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)