|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Paine's opinion, how is the admiration of a story determined?
2. How many of the pamphlets printed in response to the Rights of Man does Paine consider worth remembering?
3. How did the conquerors treat defeated enemies in the earliest known governments?
4. Why didn't Paine reply to any of the responses to the Rights of Man?
5. According to the second part of the Rights of Man, when was Combining Principals and Practice written?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Paine's thoughts on the Immaculate Conception and the Resurrection?
2. What is the concept of land ownership and rent owned, and how does it compare to the approach to land that people had in ancient times?
3. How does Paine feel about the bad laws that exist and whether to follow them?
4. What is Paine's theories on churches and which one does he ascribe to?
5. What is Paine's belief about land distribution at birth and why does he think it is impractical?
6. What are the two reasons why Paine waited before writing and releasing the Rights of Man, Part II?
7. What is Paine's writing style throughout Common Sense and his other collected works, and how will Paine be remembered?
8. What is the difference between democracy and representation?
9. What is Paine's theory on how people who have been cheated of their land inheritance should be compensated?
10. What are Paine's religious views when writing Age of Reason?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the letter to the Inhabitants of America that Paine writes about in the beginning years of the revolution. Include a description of his thoughts on the previous governments of Ancient Rome and Greece, as well as the similarities and differences between them and the new government that America is forming.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the differences between society and government as Paine refers to them in the Introduction. Use the examples that Paine provides and your analysis to explain the roles of each of them in a successful country, why and when a society needs a government, and what the priority of the elected officials in that government should be.
Essay Topic 3
Describe in detail why it was necessary for America to separate from England and declare its independence. Also, list and explain each of the reasons why England was not capable of governing America along with the benefits that the United States will have as a result of establishing their own country.
This section contains 986 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)