|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What ancient philosopher does Paine mention in Age of Reason?
2. What form does Satan take on in reappearing?
3. What does Paine prove in order to dispel a myth about government?
4. How many years does Paine think the aristocracy or monarchy will last after the writing of his pamphlet?
5. According to Paine, what age should a person be to receive compensation for an disinheritance?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the doubts Paine expresses about prophecies?
2. How does Paine define a revelation?
3. What is Paine's belief about land distribution at birth and why does he think it is impractical?
4. What is the historical significance of the life of Jesus?
5. What is Paine's writing style throughout Common Sense and his other collected works, and how will Paine be remembered?
6. Does Paine think that a natural state and civilized state are exchangeable?
7. How does Paine handle the responses to the Rights of Man by Burke and others?
8. How does Paine feel about the bad laws that exist and whether to follow them?
9. What are Paine's religious views when writing Age of Reason?
10. What about the American Revolution causes the world to take notice?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the end of the Rights of Man, Paine explains the differences between the three origins of government and provides a comparison of the English Constitution and the French Constitution.
1) Define the government of priesthood, the government of conquerors, and the government of reason, including the differences in how they work.
2) Compare and contrast the English Constitution with the French Constitution, and describe how Paine refers to both in his theory of how a government should be formed.
3) Explain the influence that America had on the French Constitution and why Paine considers it to be better than the English Constitution.
Essay Topic 2
Paine criticizes the British government on a variety of levels.
1) Describe the positive and negative aspects of the Parliament.
2) Explain Paine's objections to the monarchy and the examples he uses to reveal its hypocritical absurdity.
3) Analyze the two parts of the English Constitution, why Paine believes it is ineffective, and his suggestions to update it.
Essay Topic 3
Describe in detail why it was necessary for America to separate from England and declare its independence. Also, list and explain each of the reasons why England was not capable of governing America along with the benefits that the United States will have as a result of establishing their own country.
This section contains 917 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)