|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many questions does Paine address in his final letter to the people of England?
2. What does Paine profess about himself in The Crisis?
3. From where was English rule founded?
4. What is the famous quote by Paine that starts the section, The Crisis?
5. According to Paine, what goes against human nature?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the government of England increase its revenue through its disagreements with other countries?
2. What opinion does Paine have of people who believe and follow Christianity?
3. Why does Paine write <i>Common Sense</i> anonymously and how does he think his work will be remembered?
4. What bold prediction does Paine make about the future of the monarchy and why?
5. How does Paine think America's Continental Congress should be designed?
6. What should civilized states be concerned about ?
7. What does Burke accuse the French of pertaining to their actions against Louis XVI and how does Paine correct him?
8. What are the reasons Paine gives in support of America's Declaration of Independence?
9. How did the American army defeat General Howe?
10. What is Paine's theory on how people who have been cheated of their land inheritance should be compensated?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the letter to the Inhabitants of America that Paine writes about in the beginning years of the revolution. Include a description of his thoughts on the previous governments of Ancient Rome and Greece, as well as the similarities and differences between them and the new government that America is forming.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the differences between society and government as Paine refers to them in the Introduction. Use the examples that Paine provides and your analysis to explain the roles of each of them in a successful country, why and when a society needs a government, and what the priority of the elected officials in that government should be.
Essay Topic 3
Paine writes about Agrarian Justice and the distribution of land in America.
1) Describe Paine's initial theory of how land should be given to people and why he believes it is impractical.
2) Explain how Paine considers land cultivation versus dispossession.
3) Analyze Paine's concluding plan for compensating people who he thinks have been cheated of their rightful inheritance.
This section contains 2,172 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)