|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Paine, whose role in the French Revolution should not be diminished?
2. What do the English people indicate with their silence?
3. When did Edmund Burke attack the French Revolution in a book?
4. What does Howe support that draws Paine's criticism?
5. How does Paine describe the Quakers?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the problems with using faith and religion for political purposes?
2. How does Paine describes Benjamin Franklin's historical role in the French Constitution?
3. Why does Paine think that America will succeed on its own?
4. Why does Paine write Common Sense anonymously and how does he think his work will be remembered?
5. According to Paine, how does England view the French Revolution?
6. How does Paine recall the events surrounding George Washington's crossing of the Delaware?
7. What mistake do the British make in attacking a particular city during the American Revolution?
8. How does Burke misrepresent Dr. Price's speech and what is Paine's response?
9. What disappoints Paine about the limited examples of solid government that are available?
10. Why is it necessary for the states to be separated?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Age of Reason features Paine's views of religion as he questions certain aspects of the different churches and practices.
1) Describe Paine's personal opinions about religion, churches, and which one he ascribes to.
2) Analyze Paine's description of revelation and the way it is referred to by different religions.
3) Explain some of the different examples of how Paine questions some of the tales in Christianity, and his general views on how Christians live their lives.
4) Describe why Paine has doubts about the authenticity of the Old and New Testaments, what he believes is the most important proof of God's existence, and what guide people should refer to when seeking God's advice or wishes.
Essay Topic 2
Paine writes about Agrarian Justice and the distribution of land in America.
1) Describe Paine's initial theory of how land should be given to people and why he believes it is impractical.
2) Explain how Paine considers land cultivation versus dispossession.
3) Analyze Paine's concluding plan for compensating people who he thinks have been cheated of their rightful inheritance.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the major differences between a natural state and a civilized state, including the benefits of each, and how Paine thinks they should both be incorporated into a government. Provide a detailed analysis of the goals a civilized society has and examples of why the equality of birth is essential to a society's growth.
This section contains 958 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)