|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Paine use as a miserable example of the Constitution that America is trying to adopt?
2. In his letter to Howe, what comparison does Paine make about arguing with a man who has no use for authority?
3. What did Gideon deny?
4. How does Paine describe the Quakers?
5. According to Paine, what goes against human nature?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Paine think that America will succeed on its own?
2. Why does Paine believe that mystery and Miracles are incompatible with religion?
3. What opinion does Paine have of people who believe and follow Christianity?
4. What is the view of Gideon that Paine uses as an example?
5. What bold prediction does Paine make about the future of the monarchy and why?
6. How did the American army defeat General Howe?
7. What is Paine's belief about land distribution at birth and why does he think it is impractical?
8. What are Paine's religious views when writing Age of Reason?
9. What is Paine's theory on how people who have been cheated of their land inheritance should be compensated?
10. What mistake do the British make in attacking a particular city during the American Revolution?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the letter to the Inhabitants of America that Paine writes about in the beginning years of the revolution. Include a description of his thoughts on the previous governments of Ancient Rome and Greece, as well as the similarities and differences between them and the new government that America is forming.
Essay Topic 2
Describe what America is like after the revolution, the new government, why Paine believes it will succeed where others have failed, and the impact it has on the other countries of the world. Use examples from the end of The Crisis to support your analysis and explain why Paine is grateful to the revolution for his literary career.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the deception that England uses with its people during the French Revolution. Why did the English government publicly support the war and how did their actions indicate their lack of support? What are the ways England increases the revenue to the government by using wars or conflicts with other countries? What happens when it appears that England and France might reconcile, and how does England make sure it has another country to dispute? Why do the actions of the English government confirm Paine's negative description of it throughout his works?
This section contains 2,189 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)