|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Paine refer to himself, with regards to Howe?
2. When did the English Revolution take place?
3. What does Paine attribute his literary career to?
4. Since all men are created equal, what does Paine consider aristocracy to be?
5. What grows along with a society?
Short Essay Questions
1. When does Paine wish the Revolution had begun and why?
2. According to Paine, how does England view the French Revolution?
3. How does Paine consider the state of America and his literary career after the revolution?
4. What would happen to the land in America if the country reconciles with England?
5. Why does Paine consider the English monarchy to be ineffective?
6. What does Paine hope the English people will do as a result of reading Burke's pamphlets?
7. Why does Paine write Common Sense anonymously and how does he think his work will be remembered?
8. What mistake do the British make in attacking a particular city during the American Revolution?
9. What does Paine think the effects of Burke's pamphlets will be and what are Burke's reasons for publishing them?
10. What is the difference between society and government?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Paine's reasons for delaying the release of the Rights of Man, Part II. Include an analysis of Burke's responses to the first part of the Rights of Man and how Paine replies to him and others who attempt to challenge his views.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the deception that England uses with its people during the French Revolution. Why did the English government publicly support the war and how did their actions indicate their lack of support? What are the ways England increases the revenue to the government by using wars or conflicts with other countries? What happens when it appears that England and France might reconcile, and how does England make sure it has another country to dispute? Why do the actions of the English government confirm Paine's negative description of it throughout his works?
Essay Topic 3
Age of Reason features Paine's views of religion as he questions certain aspects of the different churches and practices.
1) Describe Paine's personal opinions about religion, churches, and which one he ascribes to.
2) Analyze Paine's description of revelation and the way it is referred to by different religions.
3) Explain some of the different examples of how Paine questions some of the tales in Christianity, and his general views on how Christians live their lives.
4) Describe why Paine has doubts about the authenticity of the Old and New Testaments, what he believes is the most important proof of God's existence, and what guide people should refer to when seeking God's advice or wishes.
This section contains 1,014 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)