|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Gideon deny?
2. Which proverb does Paine refer to when commenting on the acts of Howe and Burgoyne?
3. What river are the American troops preparing to cross as Paine describes their trials and tribulations?
4. From where was English rule founded?
5. What are the rumors about the reason behind Burke's pamphlet?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the difference between society and government?
2. How does Paine think America's Continental Congress should be designed?
3. How did Paine and Burke become enemies and what are Paine's concerns about Burke's pamphlet?
4. What are the problems with using faith and religion for political purposes?
5. How does the government of England increase its revenue through its disagreements with other countries?
6. Why is it necessary for the states to be separated?
7. What disappoints Paine about the limited examples of solid government that are available?
8. What does Paine hope the English people will do as a result of reading Burke's pamphlets?
9. What does Paine think that America will gain by separating from England?
10. How does Paine consider the state of America and his literary career after the revolution?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the differences between democracy and representation using several examples from the Rights of Man, Part II. Be sure to include Paine's main points on each concept of government, which one he believes to be more effective, and why.
Essay Topic 2
Paine criticizes the British government on a variety of levels.
1) Describe the positive and negative aspects of the Parliament.
2) Explain Paine's objections to the monarchy and the examples he uses to reveal its hypocritical absurdity.
3) Analyze the two parts of the English Constitution, why Paine believes it is ineffective, and his suggestions to update it.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Paine's reasons for delaying the release of the Rights of Man, Part II. Include an analysis of Burke's responses to the first part of the Rights of Man and how Paine replies to him and others who attempt to challenge his views.
This section contains 899 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)