|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What concerns Paine about how Burke's pamphlet is published?
2. What grows along with a society?
3. What did Gideon deny?
4. What will the first twenty years of American independence not predict, according to Paine?
5. How did Paine originally view Burke, before he denounced the French Revolution?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Paine consider the state of America and his literary career after the revolution?
2. What are the problems with using faith and religion for political purposes?
3. What does Paine think the effects of Burke's pamphlets will be and what are Burke's reasons for publishing them?
4. According to Paine, how does England view the French Revolution?
5. How does the government of England increase its revenue through its disagreements with other countries?
6. What disappoints Paine about the limited examples of solid government that are available?
7. How did Paine and Burke become enemies and what are Paine's concerns about Burke's pamphlet?
8. What are some of the other criticisms that Paine has about Howe?
9. How does Paine recall the events surrounding George Washington's crossing of the Delaware?
10. How does Paine describes Benjamin Franklin's historical role in the French Constitution?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the Rights of Man, Part II, Paine elaborates on the role of government and whether a society can function without one. Explain what Paine believes the central responsibilities of government are, the tactics it uses to increase the control it has over its citizens, and why Paine believes that a society can exist in the absence of government. Include how America self-imposed its own laws during the beginning of the American Revolution as an example and describe what the key ingredients were in its success.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the differences between society and government as Paine refers to them in the Introduction. Use the examples that Paine provides and your analysis to explain the roles of each of them in a successful country, why and when a society needs a government, and what the priority of the elected officials in that government should be.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze Paine's letter to General Howe by including answers to the following:
1) Why does Paine write to Howe and what is the purpose of his letter?
2) What are some examples of Howe's mistakes and lack of skills in the war, and why did Paine consider him to be incapable of gaining a victory except by accident?
3) How does America defeat Howe and cause him to surrender?
4) In what way does Howe's approach to the war depict the difference in the mentality of each country involved?
5) What were America's reasons for fighting in the American Revolution and why was England unable to understand them?
This section contains 990 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)