|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Paine believe that America will succeed?
2. When did the English Revolution take place?
3. How many questions does Paine address in his final letter to the people of England?
4. According to Paine, what should not be confused with religion?
5. Which one of the following is not included in the natural rights Paine believes should be retained by people after they are born?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Burke misrepresent Dr. Price's speech and what is Paine's response?
2. How did the American army defeat General Howe?
3. What mistake do the British make in attacking a particular city during the American Revolution?
4. What are the problems with using faith and religion for political purposes?
5. Why is it necessary for the states to be separated?
6. What are the reasons Paine gives in support of America's Declaration of Independence?
7. Why does Paine consider the English monarchy to be ineffective?
8. What are the reasons Paine has in writing the Rights of Man and to whom is it presented?
9. What is the difference between society and government?
10. Why does Paine write Common Sense anonymously and how does he think his work will be remembered?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Thomas Paine's life and background, including where he is originally from and what his reputation was before, during, and after writing Common Sense. Also, discuss Paine's motives in writing his pamphlets and the reasons that he chose to remain anonymous at the time. Finally, use the information in Paine's work to explain why he believed strongly in the American Revolution and how his experiences qualified him to chronicle the events as America declared Independence.
Essay Topic 2
Describe what America is like after the revolution, the new government, why Paine believes it will succeed where others have failed, and the impact it has on the other countries of the world. Use examples from the end of The Crisis to support your analysis and explain why Paine is grateful to the revolution for his literary career.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Paine's reasons for delaying the release of the Rights of Man, Part II. Include an analysis of Burke's responses to the first part of the Rights of Man and how Paine replies to him and others who attempt to challenge his views.
This section contains 895 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)