Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Paine living when Burke's pamphlet is being published?
2. According to Paine, what does Burke lack?
3. What river are the American troops preparing to cross as Paine describes their trials and tribulations?
4. Why does England constantly need a foe to battle?
5. How did Paine originally view Burke, before he denounced the French Revolution?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the proof of God's existence that Paine also believes is a guide for people to live their lives?
2. According to Paine, how does England view the French Revolution?
3. What does Paine hope the English people will do as a result of reading Burke's pamphlets?
4. How does Paine define a revelation?
5. What are the reasons Paine gives in support of America's Declaration of Independence?
6. What is Paine's belief about land distribution at birth and why does he think it is impractical?
7. What is the view of Gideon that Paine uses as an example?
8. How does Paine think America's Continental Congress should be designed?
9. Why does Paine think that America will succeed on its own?
10. What would happen to the land in America if the country reconciles with England?
Essay Topic 1
Explain Paine's theory from the beginning of The Crisis about how America should approach the war and the conditions that face the country. Include how Paine believes it will not be an easy war to win, why he thinks America will be victorious, and his general ideas about rewards in proportion to the effort it takes to earn them.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the deception that England uses with its people during the French Revolution. Why did the English government publicly support the war and how did their actions indicate their lack of support? What are the ways England increases the revenue to the government by using wars or conflicts with other countries? What happens when it appears that England and France might reconcile, and how does England make sure it has another country to dispute? Why do the actions of the English government confirm Paine's negative description of it throughout his works?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the differences between democracy and representation using several examples from the Rights of Man, Part II. Be sure to include Paine's main points on each concept of government, which one he believes to be more effective, and why.
This section contains 906 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)