|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the main components of a civilized society?
(a) The affluent and the middle class.
(b) The middle class and the poor.
(c) The affluent and the poor.
(d) The affluent, the middle class, and the poor.
2. What do civilized states have that natural states do not?
(a) The absence of laws.
(b) The enforcement of laws.
3. In the Christian tale, where is Satan banished to by the Almighty?
(a) A pit.
(b) A desert.
(c) A mountain.
(d) A cave.
4. Where is the church located to which Paine subscribes?
(a) He does not subscribe to a church.
(b) In his mind.
5. How should people self-impose laws in order to exist harmoniously in the absence of government?
(a) There can be no laws without government.
(b) Only on a personal level.
(c) Only on a professional level.
(d) On a personal and professional level.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Paine, what happened as a result of the Christian tales?
2. To what does Paine compare kings?
3. When does Paine believe every person should be issued property?
4. What does Paine believe is possible with some of the cultures that are considered uncivilized?
5. What form does Satan take on in reappearing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the two reasons why Paine waited before writing and releasing the Rights of Man, Part II?
2. What is Paine's theory on how people who have been cheated of their land inheritance should be compensated?
3. What is the historical significance of the life of Jesus?
4. Why does Paine believe that mystery and Miracles are incompatible with religion?
5. What example of an uncivilized society does Paine use in Agrarian Justice?
6. What are some of the doubts Paine expresses about prophecies?
7. Does Paine think that a natural state and civilized state are exchangeable?
8. What is Paine's writing style throughout Common Sense and his other collected works, and how will Paine be remembered?
9. What is the difference between democracy and representation?
10. What should civilized states be concerned about ?
This section contains 866 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)