|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Paine find interesting about the Immaculate Conception?
(a) It cannot be disproven.
(b) Its meaning has changed with time.
(c) It can be disproven.
(d) Its meaning has not changed with time.
2. How does Paine describe the people of ancient times in Agrarian Justice?
3. What is Paine's opinion of the dispossession of property?
(a) It is a necessary thing.
(b) It is an unnecessary thing.
(c) It is one of the worst things to ever be invented.
(d) It is one of the best things to ever be invented.
4. How much of the New Testament did Jesus write?
(a) Very little.
(b) Only the first half.
(c) Only the second half.
5. How does Paine consider those who follow the Christian tales?
(a) He admires them.
(b) He does have disdain for them.
(c) He has pity for them.
(d) He does not have disdain for them.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Paine, what should each man strive for?
2. What sacrifice was made in the formation of some churches, according to Paine?
3. What does Paine compare to the limited freedom of people by the government?
4. What must be in place once a country becomes civilized?
5. According to Paine, which Greek mythological figure did the Virgin Mary replace in Christianity?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Paine define a revelation?
2. What is the historical significance of the life of Jesus?
3. What issue does Paine address concerning the Old and New Testaments?
4. How does Paine consider cultivation and dispossession?
5. What about the American Revolution causes the world to take notice?
6. What is Paine's writing style throughout Common Sense and his other collected works, and how will Paine be remembered?
7. What is the difference between democracy and representation?
8. What is Paine's definition of a civilized society?
9. Why does Paine have a favorable opinion of the Marquis de La Fayette and what is the one area where the two differ?
10. Why does Paine believe that mystery and Miracles are incompatible with religion?
This section contains 863 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)