|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many rebuttals did Burke make to Paine's Rights of Man?
2. What will happen to a person who denies another the right to practice a different religion?
(a) That person will never be able to criticize religion.
(b) That person will never be able to change anyone else's mind.
(c) That person will never be able to legitimately discuss religion.
(d) That person will never be able to change his or her own mind.
3. How does Paine describe life in an uncivilized culture?
(a) As an extended vacation.
(b) As a continual holiday.
(c) As an extended holiday.
(d) As a continual vacation.
4. Who does a person that owns property owe ground rent to?
(a) The government.
(b) The rest of society.
(c) Those who cannot afford land of their own.
(d) Those who can afford to purchase the land for more than it is worth.
5. According to Paine, what must civilized states be careful not to overlook?
(a) The preconceived notions in a civilization.
(b) The evils of civilization.
(c) The mistakes made in a civilization.
(d) The hypocrisy of civilization.
Short Answer Questions
1. What point does Paine make about the rights of people to believe in events that took place?
2. As mentioned by Paine in Age of Reason, what did Jesus preach?
3. Which one of Burke's books contained several pages quoted from the Rights of Man?
4. What ancient philosopher does Paine mention in Age of Reason?
5. How does Paine define a civilized society?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Paine's writing style throughout Common Sense and his other collected works, and how will Paine be remembered?
2. What is the difference between democracy and representation?
3. What example of an uncivilized society does Paine use in Agrarian Justice?
4. What are Paine's thoughts on the Immaculate Conception and the Resurrection?
5. What opinion does Paine have of people who believe and follow Christianity?
6. What is the proof of God's existence that Paine also believes is a guide for people to live their lives?
7. What is Paine's theory on how people who have been cheated of their land inheritance should be compensated?
8. What is the concept of land ownership and rent owned, and how does it compare to the approach to land that people had in ancient times?
9. What is Paine's definition of a civilized society?
10. What is Paine's theories on churches and which one does he ascribe to?
This section contains 1,014 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)