|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many rebuttals did Burke make to Paine's Rights of Man?
2. What does Paine explain about the Almighty's response after Eve bites the apple?
(a) The Almighty banishes Satan to a mountain.
(b) The Almighty banishes Satan to a cave.
(c) The Almighty banishes Satan to a pit.
(d) The Almighty allows Satan to remain on earth.
3. When does Paine believe every person should be issued property?
(a) At birth.
(b) At ten years of age.
(c) At twenty years of age.
(d) At fifteen years of age.
4. What happens if people refuse to obey a law they oppose?
(a) The argument against the law is weakened.
(b) The argument against the law is strengthened.
(c) The intentions of the argument are proven false.
(d) The intentions of the argument are misunderstood.
5. How does Paine consider those who follow the Christian tales?
(a) He does not have disdain for them.
(b) He has pity for them.
(c) He does have disdain for them.
(d) He admires them.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which Indians does Paine use as an example in Agrarian Justice?
2. What does Paine compare to the limited freedom of people by the government?
3. Why did people who lived in ancient times choose not to cultivate the land they occupied?
4. On which concept was the old Whig party based?
5. Why didn't Paine reply to any of the responses to the Rights of Man?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the concept of land ownership and rent owned, and how does it compare to the approach to land that people had in ancient times?
2. What is impressive about the way George Washington became the first president of the United States of America and the way he was compensated?
3. What is the difference between democracy and representation?
4. What is Paine's theories on churches and which one does he ascribe to?
5. What is the historical significance of the life of Jesus?
6. What does Paine believe is the general focus of any effective constitution?
7. What issue does Paine address concerning the Old and New Testaments?
8. What question does Paine pose to Burke after a comment made by Burke during a speech in Canada?
9. What opinion does Paine have of people who believe and follow Christianity?
10. What are Paine's religious views when writing Age of Reason?
This section contains 1,020 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)