|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which one of the following does Paine list as an example of an uncivilized culture?
(a) The poor in South America.
(b) The poor in Europe.
(c) The middle class in Europe.
(d) The middle class in South America.
2. What must be in place once a country becomes civilized?
(a) A system to prove the validity of the natural state.
(b) A system to preserve the natural state.
(c) A system to prevent the natural state from returning.
(d) A system to change the natural state.
3. Which one of Burke's books contained several pages quoted from the Rights of Man?
(a) A Vindication of Natural Society.
(b) Further Reflections on the French Revolution.
(c) Appeal from the New to the Old Whigs.
(d) Thoughts on the Present Discontents.
4. How many people are born equal in a natural state?
(a) All of them.
(b) None of them.
(c) Some of them.
(d) Most of them.
5. How does Paine describe the people of ancient times in Agrarian Justice?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the term canonization refer to?
2. What area do Paine and the Marquis differ on?
3. What war does Paine believe might have been the inspiration for a Christian tale about the Almighty?
4. How much was Washington compensated for his time as the first president?
5. In what way does the concept of holding property disinherit people?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Paine consider cultivation and dispossession?
2. What are the two reasons why Paine waited before writing and releasing the Rights of Man, Part II?
3. What is Paine's theories on churches and which one does he ascribe to?
4. What is impressive about the way George Washington became the first president of the United States of America and the way he was compensated?
5. What does Paine believe is the general focus of any effective constitution?
6. What should civilized states be concerned about ?
7. Does Paine think that a natural state and civilized state are exchangeable?
8. How are all people born in a natural state, and what does Paine think the responsibility of a civilized state is?
9. What opinion does Paine have of people who believe and follow Christianity?
10. What issue does Paine address concerning the Old and New Testaments?
This section contains 958 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)