|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What ancient philosopher does Paine mention in Age of Reason?
2. Which one of the following does Paine list as an example of an uncivilized culture?
(a) The poor in Europe.
(b) The middle class in Europe.
(c) The poor in South America.
(d) The middle class in South America.
3. What happens if people refuse to obey a law they oppose?
(a) The argument against the law is weakened.
(b) The intentions of the argument are misunderstood.
(c) The intentions of the argument are proven false.
(d) The argument against the law is strengthened.
4. According to Paine, what age should a person be to receive compensation for an disinheritance?
(a) Twenty-one years of age.
(b) Thirty years of age.
(c) Twenty-five years of age.
(d) Eighteen years of age.
5. As mentioned by Paine in Age of Reason, what did Jesus preach?
(a) Only morality.
(b) Only benevolence.
(c) Paine is unaware of the teachings of Jesus.
(d) Benevolence and morality.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the second part of the Rights of Man, when was Combining Principals and Practice written?
2. What term refers to a property that does not need to be maintained by the owner?
3. What season does Paine use in the metaphor that ends the second part of the Rights of Man?
4. How many rebuttals did Burke make to Paine's Rights of Man?
5. Who is hurt the most when a government tries to prohibit its people from reading a work the government disapproves of?
Short Essay Questions
1. What example of an uncivilized society does Paine use in Agrarian Justice?
2. What are Paine's religious views when writing Age of Reason?
3. What are the two reasons why Paine waited before writing and releasing the Rights of Man, Part II?
4. What about the American Revolution causes the world to take notice?
5. What is Paine's belief about land distribution at birth and why does he think it is impractical?
6. What does Paine believe is the general focus of any effective constitution?
7. What are some of the doubts Paine expresses about prophecies?
8. What is the historical significance of the life of Jesus?
9. Why does Paine have a favorable opinion of the Marquis de La Fayette and what is the one area where the two differ?
10. What are Paine's thoughts on the Immaculate Conception and the Resurrection?
This section contains 823 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)