|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many people witnessed and documented the Resurrection?
2. Why did people who lived in ancient times choose not to cultivate the land they occupied?
(a) To keep a constant supply of food and water.
(b) To remain safe from the animals in the wilderness.
(c) To prevent the theft of land.
(d) To prevent disputes over land rights.
3. After being banished by the Almighty, where did Satan later reappear?
(a) In a tree.
(b) In a river.
(c) In a garden.
(d) In a forest.
4. What makes Paine's goal of every person receiving property impossible?
(a) The proportion of the limited number of people to the available land.
(b) The proportion of limited land to the number of people on the earth.
(c) The inability of some to take care of a property.
(d) The inevitable greed of some in stealing property.
5. Besides the length, what is the reason Paine wanted to separate the sections of the Rights of Man?
(a) He did not want Burke to be able to refute the second section.
(b) He wanted Burke to be able to refute the first section.
(c) It was easier to release two sections on a limited budget.
(d) It was easier for the people of the world to understand the smaller sections.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the main components of a civilized society?
2. What does Paine believe about revelation?
3. What is the reason for the ground rent a land owner should owe?
4. According to Paine, what must civilized states be careful not to overlook?
5. In Paine's opinion, how is the admiration of a story determined?
Short Essay Questions
1. What example of an uncivilized society does Paine use in Agrarian Justice?
2. What is the historical significance of the life of Jesus?
3. What are Paine's thoughts on the Immaculate Conception and the Resurrection?
4. What is Paine's theories on churches and which one does he ascribe to?
5. What about the American Revolution causes the world to take notice?
6. What question does Paine pose to Burke after a comment made by Burke during a speech in Canada?
7. What is Paine's definition of a civilized society?
8. How are all people born in a natural state, and what does Paine think the responsibility of a civilized state is?
9. What issue does Paine address concerning the Old and New Testaments?
10. How does Paine feel about the bad laws that exist and whether to follow them?
This section contains 978 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)