|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does a person that owns property owe ground rent to?
(a) Those who cannot afford land of their own.
(b) The government.
(c) The rest of society.
(d) Those who can afford to purchase the land for more than it is worth.
2. What type of payment does Paine think should be paid to those who have been cheated of their inheritance?
(a) An annual payment.
(b) A quarterly payment.
(c) A one-time payment.
(d) A monthly payment.
3. What is the reason for the ground rent a land owner should owe?
(a) To maintain the property, but not purchase more land.
(b) To maintain the property and purchase more land.
(c) To maintain the property and cultivate it.
(d) To maintain the property, but not cultivate it.
4. Why did people who lived in ancient times choose not to cultivate the land they occupied?
(a) To remain safe from the animals in the wilderness.
(b) To keep a constant supply of food and water.
(c) To prevent disputes over land rights.
(d) To prevent the theft of land.
5. What point does Paine make about the rights of people to believe in events that took place?
(a) People have the right not to believe something they have not witnessed.
(b) People should believe in something they have not seen, only if it is reported by credible witnesses.
(c) People should believe in something they have not seen, only if it is reported by witnesses.
(d) People do not have the right to doubt something they have not witnessed.
Short Answer Questions
1. What must be in place once a country becomes civilized?
2. What is not present in the Indian culture?
3. To what does Paine compare kings?
4. What claim does Paine make about cultivation?
5. How much was Washington compensated for his time as the first president?
This section contains 383 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)