|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is hurt the most when a government tries to prohibit its people from reading a work the government disapproves of?
(a) The author.
(b) The people.
(c) The government.
(d) The publisher.
2. According to Paine, what age should a person be to receive compensation for an disinheritance?
(a) Thirty years of age.
(b) Eighteen years of age.
(c) Twenty-five years of age.
(d) Twenty-one years of age.
3. On which concept is the new Whig party based?
(c) A three-party system.
(d) A two-party system.
4. What does the term canonization refer to?
(a) The process in which a person becomes a saint.
(b) The process in which a person requests to become a saint.
(c) The ceremony performed after a person is declared a saint.
(d) The ceremony performed before a person can request to become a saint.
5. What does Paine believe about revelation?
(a) It cannot be achieved in church.
(b) It can only be achieved secondhand.
(c) It can only be achieved in church.
(d) It cannot be achieved secondhand.
Short Answer Questions
1. From where does Paine think Christianity adapted a lot of its philosophies?
2. How does Paine describe the people of ancient times in Agrarian Justice?
3. In what way does the concept of holding property disinherit people?
4. What sacrifice was made in the formation of some churches, according to Paine?
5. What term refers to a property that does not need to be maintained by the owner?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Paine's religious views when writing Age of Reason?
2. What issue does Paine address concerning the Old and New Testaments?
3. Why does Paine have a favorable opinion of the Marquis de La Fayette and what is the one area where the two differ?
4. What is impressive about the way George Washington became the first president of the United States of America and the way he was compensated?
5. What opinion does Paine have of people who believe and follow Christianity?
6. What is Paine's theory on how people who have been cheated of their land inheritance should be compensated?
7. Why does Paine believe that mystery and Miracles are incompatible with religion?
8. What bold prediction does Paine make about the future of the monarchy and why?
9. What is the historical significance of the life of Jesus?
10. What are the two reasons why Paine waited before writing and releasing the Rights of Man, Part II?
This section contains 872 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)