|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What term refers to a property that does not need to be maintained by the owner?
(a) Landed property.
(b) Unfixed property.
(c) Fixed property.
(d) Unlanded property.
2. How much of the New Testament did Jesus write?
(b) Only the second half.
(c) Only the first half.
(d) Very little.
3. How does Paine think that Christians are taught about the tales they learn?
(a) As questionable events.
(b) As lessons.
(c) As events open to many interpretations.
(d) As history.
4. When does Paine believe every person should be issued property?
(a) At fifteen years of age.
(b) At ten years of age.
(c) At birth.
(d) At twenty years of age.
5. How many of the pamphlets printed in response to the Rights of Man does Paine consider worth remembering?
Short Answer Questions
1. How much of the earth's population does the concept of holding property disinherit?
2. What type of payment does Paine think should be paid to those who have been cheated of their inheritance?
3. In Paine's opinion, how is the admiration of a story determined?
4. What is Paine's opinion of the dispossession of property?
5. After being banished by the Almighty, where did Satan later reappear?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Paine's definition of a civilized society?
2. What is Paine's theory on how people who have been cheated of their land inheritance should be compensated?
3. What should civilized states be concerned about ?
4. What is Paine's writing style throughout Common Sense and his other collected works, and how will Paine be remembered?
5. What bold prediction does Paine make about the future of the monarchy and why?
6. How does Paine feel about the bad laws that exist and whether to follow them?
7. Why does Paine have a favorable opinion of the Marquis de La Fayette and what is the one area where the two differ?
8. What example of an uncivilized society does Paine use in Agrarian Justice?
9. What is the difference between democracy and representation?
10. What is the concept of land ownership and rent owned, and how does it compare to the approach to land that people had in ancient times?
This section contains 921 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)