|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Paine consider those who follow the Christian tales?
(a) He does not have disdain for them.
(b) He admires them.
(c) He does have disdain for them.
(d) He has pity for them.
2. What are the main components of a civilized society?
(a) The affluent and the poor.
(b) The middle class and the poor.
(c) The affluent and the middle class.
(d) The affluent, the middle class, and the poor.
3. What war does Paine believe might have been the inspiration for a Christian tale about the Almighty?
(a) The Giants against Neptune.
(b) The Giants against Saturn.
(c) The Giants against Jupiter.
(d) The Giants against Mercury.
4. How did the conquerors treat defeated enemies in the earliest known governments?
(a) As property.
(b) As paid employees.
(c) As equals.
(d) As individuals.
5. Why does Paine admire the Marquis?
(a) For his work with trade agreements between America and other countries.
(b) For his cooperation and wisdom during the American Revolution.
(c) For his writings against the English.
(d) For his economic support of the American Revolution.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Paine compare to the limited freedom of people by the government?
2. If the American Revolution had been fought only to separate America from England, how much attention does Paine think it would have received?
3. What point does Paine make about the rights of people to believe in events that took place?
4. How does Paine think that Christians are taught about the tales they learn?
5. On which concept is the new Whig party based?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Paine's thoughts on the Immaculate Conception and the Resurrection?
2. What should civilized states be concerned about ?
3. How are all people born in a natural state, and what does Paine think the responsibility of a civilized state is?
4. Why does Paine believe that mystery and Miracles are incompatible with religion?
5. What is the concept of land ownership and rent owned, and how does it compare to the approach to land that people had in ancient times?
6. What is the proof of God's existence that Paine also believes is a guide for people to live their lives?
7. What are the two reasons why Paine waited before writing and releasing the Rights of Man, Part II?
8. What question does Paine pose to Burke after a comment made by Burke during a speech in Canada?
9. What does Paine believe is the general focus of any effective constitution?
10. What bold prediction does Paine make about the future of the monarchy and why?
This section contains 949 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)