|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what does Paine compare kings?
2. Why didn't Paine reply to any of the responses to the Rights of Man?
(a) He did not have the resources.
(b) He did not know about many of the responses written.
(c) He did not think any of them could rival his own work.
(d) He did not have the time.
3. What area do Paine and the Marquis differ on?
(a) When political reform can occur.
(b) Where political reform needs to occur.
(c) Why political reform should occur.
(d) How political reform can occur.
4. What will happen to a person who denies another the right to practice a different religion?
(a) That person will never be able to change his or her own mind.
(b) That person will never be able to criticize religion.
(c) That person will never be able to legitimately discuss religion.
(d) That person will never be able to change anyone else's mind.
5. What does Paine explain about the Almighty's response after Eve bites the apple?
(a) The Almighty allows Satan to remain on earth.
(b) The Almighty banishes Satan to a mountain.
(c) The Almighty banishes Satan to a cave.
(d) The Almighty banishes Satan to a pit.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Paine describe life in an uncivilized culture?
2. What is Paine's opinion of the dispossession of property?
3. On which concept was the old Whig party based?
4. What makes Paine's goal of every person receiving property impossible?
5. What form does Satan take on in reappearing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Paine think that a natural state and civilized state are exchangeable?
2. What does Paine believe is the general focus of any effective constitution?
3. What is Paine's belief about land distribution at birth and why does he think it is impractical?
4. What about the American Revolution causes the world to take notice?
5. What is Paine's definition of a civilized society?
6. Why does Paine believe that mystery and Miracles are incompatible with religion?
7. What is Paine's writing style throughout Common Sense and his other collected works, and how will Paine be remembered?
8. What opinion does Paine have of people who believe and follow Christianity?
9. What are some of the doubts Paine expresses about prophecies?
10. How does Paine feel about the bad laws that exist and whether to follow them?
This section contains 932 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)