|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is the church located to which Paine subscribes?
(a) In his mind.
(d) He does not subscribe to a church.
2. What war does Paine believe might have been the inspiration for a Christian tale about the Almighty?
(a) The Giants against Jupiter.
(b) The Giants against Saturn.
(c) The Giants against Mercury.
(d) The Giants against Neptune.
3. How does Paine describe life in an uncivilized culture?
(a) As an extended vacation.
(b) As an extended holiday.
(c) As a continual holiday.
(d) As a continual vacation.
4. What does Paine believe about revelation?
(a) It cannot be achieved in church.
(b) It can only be achieved in church.
(c) It cannot be achieved secondhand.
(d) It can only be achieved secondhand.
5. Why does Paine admire the Marquis?
(a) For his cooperation and wisdom during the American Revolution.
(b) For his work with trade agreements between America and other countries.
(c) For his writings against the English.
(d) For his economic support of the American Revolution.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Paine think is odd about the conversation between Eve and Satan?
2. According to Paine, what should each man strive for?
3. What should the main purpose of a Constitution be?
4. In the Christian tale, where is Satan banished to by the Almighty?
5. What sacrifice was made in the formation of some churches, according to Paine?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are all people born in a natural state, and what does Paine think the responsibility of a civilized state is?
2. What are Paine's religious views when writing Age of Reason?
3. What does Paine believe is the general focus of any effective constitution?
4. What should civilized states be concerned about ?
5. What is the proof of God's existence that Paine also believes is a guide for people to live their lives?
6. What is impressive about the way George Washington became the first president of the United States of America and the way he was compensated?
7. What bold prediction does Paine make about the future of the monarchy and why?
8. What is the difference between democracy and representation?
9. How does Paine handle the responses to the Rights of Man by Burke and others?
10. What are Paine's thoughts on the Immaculate Conception and the Resurrection?
This section contains 962 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)