Final Test - Medium
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Paine think civilized states need to develop remedies for?
(a) To cure illness.
(b) To cure evil.
(c) To cure ignorance.
(d) To cure apathy.
2. What does Paine believe is possible with some of the cultures that are considered uncivilized?
(a) There are not enough of them to discuss.
(b) There are too many of them for the world to reach its goals.
(c) They might still have a better way to live.
(d) They will never have a better way to live.
3. What is the reason for the ground rent a land owner should owe?
(a) To maintain the property and cultivate it.
(b) To maintain the property, but not cultivate it.
(c) To maintain the property and purchase more land.
(d) To maintain the property, but not purchase more land.
4. What does Paine prove in order to dispel a myth about government?
(a) Most societies need government.
(b) Society will not fail without government.
(c) Society will fail without government.
(d) Only certain societies need government.
5. Which party did Washington belong to when he became the first president of the United States?
(b) The Republican Party.
(c) The Democratic Party.
(d) The Whig Party.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which one of the following does Paine list as an example of an uncivilized culture?
2. How important is it for a civilized society to guarantee a better life for its people than if they had been born before civilization?
3. According to Paine, what is Burke incapable of understanding about the way government works?
4. How many of the pamphlets printed in response to the Rights of Man does Paine consider worth remembering?
5. How many rebuttals did Burke make to Paine's Rights of Man?
This section contains 342 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)