|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the Christian tale, where is Satan banished to by the Almighty?
(a) A desert.
(b) A cave.
(c) A mountain.
(d) A pit.
2. Does Paine believe it is possible to evolve from a civilized state to a natural state?
(a) Only in certain cases.
(b) He is not sure.
3. Which one of Burke's books contained several pages quoted from the Rights of Man?
(a) A Vindication of Natural Society.
(b) Further Reflections on the French Revolution.
(c) Appeal from the New to the Old Whigs.
(d) Thoughts on the Present Discontents.
4. Which Indians does Paine use as an example in Agrarian Justice?
(a) The East American Indians.
(b) The South American Indians.
(c) The West American Indians.
(d) The North American Indians.
5. According to Paine, what must civilized states be careful not to overlook?
(a) The evils of civilization.
(b) The hypocrisy of civilization.
(c) The preconceived notions in a civilization.
(d) The mistakes made in a civilization.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which years of the American Revolution did America have no government?
2. What is the reason for the ground rent a land owner should owe?
3. Why does Paine admire the Marquis?
4. On which concept was the old Whig party based?
5. If the American Revolution had been fought only to separate America from England, how much attention does Paine think it would have received?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Paine's religious views when writing Age of Reason?
2. What is Paine's belief about land distribution at birth and why does he think it is impractical?
3. What bold prediction does Paine make about the future of the monarchy and why?
4. What are the two reasons why Paine waited before writing and releasing the Rights of Man, Part II?
5. What question does Paine pose to Burke after a comment made by Burke during a speech in Canada?
6. What opinion does Paine have of people who believe and follow Christianity?
7. How are all people born in a natural state, and what does Paine think the responsibility of a civilized state is?
8. What should civilized states be concerned about ?
9. What are some of the doubts Paine expresses about prophecies?
10. Why does Paine have a favorable opinion of the Marquis de La Fayette and what is the one area where the two differ?
This section contains 933 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)