|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the Christian tale, where is Satan banished to by the Almighty?
(a) A desert.
(b) A pit.
(c) A cave.
(d) A mountain.
2. What must be in place once a country becomes civilized?
(a) A system to prove the validity of the natural state.
(b) A system to preserve the natural state.
(c) A system to prevent the natural state from returning.
(d) A system to change the natural state.
3. As mentioned by Paine in Age of Reason, what did Jesus preach?
(a) Paine is unaware of the teachings of Jesus.
(b) Benevolence and morality.
(c) Only benevolence.
(d) Only morality.
4. On which concept is the new Whig party based?
(b) A two-party system.
(c) A three-party system.
5. What does Paine believe is possible with some of the cultures that are considered uncivilized?
(a) They might still have a better way to live.
(b) They will never have a better way to live.
(c) There are too many of them for the world to reach its goals.
(d) There are not enough of them to discuss.
Short Answer Questions
1. What claim does Paine make about cultivation?
2. Which years of the American Revolution did America have no government?
3. How does Paine view the story of Eve and the apple?
4. What form does Satan take on in reappearing?
5. What does Paine think is created between religions by the existence of certain churches?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Paine's definition of a civilized society?
2. What is the concept of land ownership and rent owned, and how does it compare to the approach to land that people had in ancient times?
3. What issue does Paine address concerning the Old and New Testaments?
4. What about the American Revolution causes the world to take notice?
5. Does Paine think that a natural state and civilized state are exchangeable?
6. What is the historical significance of the life of Jesus?
7. What should civilized states be concerned about ?
8. How does Paine define a revelation?
9. How does Paine handle the responses to the Rights of Man by Burke and others?
10. How does Paine consider cultivation and dispossession?
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)