|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of payment does Paine think should be paid to those who have been cheated of their inheritance?
(a) A quarterly payment.
(b) A monthly payment.
(c) An annual payment.
(d) A one-time payment.
2. What should the main purpose of a Constitution be?
(a) To provide for other countries who are unwilling or unable to provide for themselves.
(b) To create and maintain the happiness of its citizens.
(c) To provide for people who are unwilling or unable to provide for themselves.
(d) To create and maintain the happiness of its government.
3. What does Paine think is odd about the conversation between Eve and Satan?
(a) Eve is not confused.
(b) Eve is not frightened.
(c) The shortness of the conversation.
(d) The extensive length of the conversation.
4. How does Paine think that Christians are taught about the tales they learn?
(a) As events open to many interpretations.
(b) As history.
(c) As lessons.
(d) As questionable events.
5. What does the term canonization refer to?
(a) The ceremony performed before a person can request to become a saint.
(b) The process in which a person becomes a saint.
(c) The process in which a person requests to become a saint.
(d) The ceremony performed after a person is declared a saint.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Paine define a civilized society?
2. What area do Paine and the Marquis differ on?
3. Which party did Washington belong to when he became the first president of the United States?
4. How should people self-impose laws in order to exist harmoniously in the absence of government?
5. What does Paine explain about the Almighty's response after Eve bites the apple?
Short Essay Questions
1. What about the American Revolution causes the world to take notice?
2. What example of an uncivilized society does Paine use in Agrarian Justice?
3. What is Paine's theories on churches and which one does he ascribe to?
4. What is Paine's definition of a civilized society?
5. What is Paine's theory on how people who have been cheated of their land inheritance should be compensated?
6. What are some of the doubts Paine expresses about prophecies?
7. What are the two reasons why Paine waited before writing and releasing the Rights of Man, Part II?
8. What does Paine believe is the general focus of any effective constitution?
9. How does Paine consider cultivation and dispossession?
10. What is the concept of land ownership and rent owned, and how does it compare to the approach to land that people had in ancient times?
This section contains 941 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)