|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As mentioned by Paine in Age of Reason, what did Jesus preach?
(a) Only benevolence.
(b) Benevolence and morality.
(c) Only morality.
(d) Paine is unaware of the teachings of Jesus.
2. How should people self-impose laws in order to exist harmoniously in the absence of government?
(a) Only on a personal level.
(b) Only on a professional level.
(c) There can be no laws without government.
(d) On a personal and professional level.
3. How well were Paine's views on religion known when Age of Reason was written?
(a) He was well known for not advocating freedom of religion.
(b) His views on religion were only known by his friends.
(c) He was well known for advocating freedom of religion.
(d) His views on religion were not known.
4. How does Paine view the story of Eve and the apple?
(a) He thinks it is derogatory towards Eve.
(b) He thinks it is a testament to the intelligence of Eve.
(c) He thinks it is a testament to the powers of the Almighty.
(d) He thinks it is derogatory towards the Almighty.
5. If the American Revolution had been fought only to separate America from England, how much attention does Paine think it would have received?
(a) A considerable amount of attention.
(b) Very little attention.
(c) No attention.
(d) The attention of the world.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Paine, what must civilized states be careful not to overlook?
2. How does Paine consider those who follow the Christian tales?
3. Through his belief in God, what does Paine hope for?
4. How many people witnessed and documented the Resurrection?
5. From where does Paine think Christianity adapted a lot of its philosophies?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Paine's writing style throughout Common Sense and his other collected works, and how will Paine be remembered?
2. What are Paine's thoughts on the Immaculate Conception and the Resurrection?
3. What bold prediction does Paine make about the future of the monarchy and why?
4. How does Paine feel about the bad laws that exist and whether to follow them?
5. What should civilized states be concerned about ?
6. What question does Paine pose to Burke after a comment made by Burke during a speech in Canada?
7. What is Paine's theory on how people who have been cheated of their land inheritance should be compensated?
8. What issue does Paine address concerning the Old and New Testaments?
9. What are the two reasons why Paine waited before writing and releasing the Rights of Man, Part II?
10. What about the American Revolution causes the world to take notice?
This section contains 912 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)