Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Paine living when Burke's pamphlet is being published?
2. According to Paine, what does Burke lack?
(a) An understanding of history.
(b) An understanding of government.
(c) An understanding of liberty.
(d) An understanding of economics.
3. What river are the American troops preparing to cross as Paine describes their trials and tribulations?
(a) The Delaware.
(b) The Missouri.
(c) The Mississippi.
(d) The Hudson.
4. Why does England constantly need a foe to battle?
(a) To increase jobs through war.
(b) To prove their place in the world.
(c) To increase trade agreements.
(d) To provide a reason for its high taxes.
5. How did Paine originally view Burke, before he denounced the French Revolution?
(a) As a possible ally.
(b) As an enemy.
(c) As a possible threat.
(d) As an ally.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the questions about in Paine's last letter to the people of England?
2. Which country has England chosen as its new foe when Paine writes the Rights of Man?
3. How does Thomas Paine write the book <i>Common Sense</i>?
4. In the Introduction, what does Paine state about the thoughts of the book?
5. How does Paine refer to himself, with regards to Howe?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the proof of God's existence that Paine also believes is a guide for people to live their lives?
2. According to Paine, how does England view the French Revolution?
3. What does Paine hope the English people will do as a result of reading Burke's pamphlets?
4. How does Paine define a revelation?
5. What are the reasons Paine gives in support of America's Declaration of Independence?
6. What is Paine's belief about land distribution at birth and why does he think it is impractical?
7. What is the view of Gideon that Paine uses as an example?
8. How does Paine think America's Continental Congress should be designed?
9. Why does Paine think that America will succeed on its own?
10. What would happen to the land in America if the country reconciles with England?
This section contains 847 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)