|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the result of using faith for political reasons?
(a) It undermines the right to practice religion freely.
(b) It undermines only the religion involved.
(c) It undermines the religions that are not involved.
(d) It undermines all religions.
2. What concerns Paine about how Burke's pamphlet is published?
(a) The translation.
(b) The small print.
(c) The incorrect order of pages.
(d) The colors used.
3. From where was English rule founded?
4. Why does Paine state that America took up arms against England?
(a) England forced the hand of America.
(b) America had become more prosperous than almost all other countries.
(c) Other countries forced the hand of America.
(d) America had become more prosperous than England.
5. How did the men in the American army fight Howe?
(a) They fought neither for an ideal nor property.
(b) They fought for an ideal and property.
(c) They fought for an ideal, not property.
(d) They fought for property, not an ideal.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Paine living when Burke's pamphlet is being published?
2. What does Paine hope the English people will realize from Burke's pamphlet?
3. What does Paine believe should never separate the elected from the electors?
4. Which proverb does Paine refer to when commenting on the acts of Howe and Burgoyne?
5. What does a strong government assure against?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Burke misrepresent Dr. Price's speech and what is Paine's response?
2. What does Paine think that America will gain by separating from England?
3. Why does Paine write Common Sense anonymously and how does he think his work will be remembered?
4. Why does Paine think that America will succeed on its own?
5. What is Paine's definition of a Quaker?
6. Why does Paine consider the English monarchy to be ineffective?
7. How does Paine recall the events surrounding George Washington's crossing of the Delaware?
8. Why is it necessary for the states to be separated?
9. What is the difference between society and government?
10. What are the reasons Paine gives in support of America's Declaration of Independence?
This section contains 903 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)