|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the questions about in Paine's last letter to the people of England?
(a) Power, honor, and authority.
(b) Only power.
(c) Only honor.
(d) Power and honor.
2. How does Thomas Paine write the book Common Sense?
(a) With a co-writer.
(b) With two co-writers.
(c) With a ghost writer.
3. What is the famous quote by Paine that starts the section, The Crisis?
(a) These are the men whose soul's have been tried.
(b) These are the men whose soul's need to be tested.
(c) These are the times that men's souls are tested.
(d) These are the times that try men's souls.
4. How did the men in the American army fight Howe?
(a) They fought for an ideal and property.
(b) They fought for an ideal, not property.
(c) They fought for property, not an ideal.
(d) They fought neither for an ideal nor property.
5. What replaced hopelessness during a long battle, as Paine recounts?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Paine believe that America will succeed?
2. What types of goals should the members of the elected have?
3. What does Burke continue to perpetuate with his actions?
4. What point does Paine use Joan of Arc as an example to support?
5. How does Paine refer to himself, with regards to Howe?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Burke misrepresent Dr. Price's speech and what is Paine's response?
2. Why does Paine consider the English monarchy to be ineffective?
3. What mistake do the British make in attacking a particular city during the American Revolution?
4. What are the problems with using faith and religion for political purposes?
5. What is Paine's definition of a Quaker?
6. Why is there a need for regulations and government in general?
7. How does Paine think America's Continental Congress should be designed?
8. Why does Paine think that America will succeed on its own?
9. How does Paine recall the events surrounding George Washington's crossing of the Delaware?
10. What is the difference between society and government?
This section contains 908 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)