|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When was the law invented that took the freedom away from the English subjects?
(a) The seventeenth century.
(b) The fourteenth century.
(c) The sixteenth century.
(d) The fifteenth century.
2. According to Paine, what goes against human nature?
(a) An absence of government.
(b) A self-sufficient government.
(c) Partial governments.
(d) Absolute governments.
3. Why do Englishmen defend their king?
(a) Out of neither reason nor national pride.
(b) Out of national pride, rather than reason.
(c) Out of reason, rather than national pride.
(d) Out of both reason and national pride.
4. What does Paine wish America could have used against the British?
(a) The heat of summer.
(b) The element of surprise.
(c) The harshness of winter.
(d) The use of inside information.
5. How does Thomas Paine write the book Common Sense?
(a) With a co-writer.
(c) With two co-writers.
(d) With a ghost writer.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Paine, what is the difference between society and government?
2. When does Paine wish the Revolution had begun?
3. What does Paine use examples from scripture to explain?
4. What does Paine believe should never separate the elected from the electors?
5. Why does England constantly need a foe to battle?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the civil rights that Paine believes should be applied to government?
2. What would happen to the land in America if the country reconciles with England?
3. How did the American army defeat General Howe?
4. How does Paine describes Benjamin Franklin's historical role in the French Constitution?
5. Why does Paine consider the English monarchy to be ineffective?
6. What are some of the other criticisms that Paine has about Howe?
7. How does the government of England increase its revenue through its disagreements with other countries?
8. What are the reasons Paine gives in support of America's Declaration of Independence?
9. What mistake do the British make in attacking a particular city during the American Revolution?
10. What is the view of Gideon that Paine uses as an example?
This section contains 855 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)