|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Paine describe the Quakers?
(a) Quiet but offensive.
(b) Quiet and inoffensive.
(c) Inoffensive but loud.
(d) Offensive and loud.
2. What types of goals should the members of the elected have?
(a) The same goals as half of the body.
(b) The same goals as the largest populated cities.
(c) The same goals as the body.
(d) The same goals as other countries.
3. Which religious group of people does Paine think are persecuted?
(a) Those who pretend to be Christians.
(b) Those who pretend to be Quakers.
4. At what age can a monarch be appointed in Britain?
(a) At age fifteen.
(b) At age ten.
(c) At any age.
(d) At age twenty.
5. Which one of the following is not included in the natural rights Paine believes should be retained by people after they are born?
(a) The right to practice religion.
(b) The right to stand up for a cause.
(c) The right to procure happiness.
(d) The right to be provided for.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does England constantly need a foe to battle?
2. Why does Paine state that America took up arms against England?
3. What does Burke continue to perpetuate with his actions?
4. How does Paine respond to the people who cannot follow his logic?
5. What does Paine wish America could have used against the British?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Paine and Burke become enemies and what are Paine's concerns about Burke's pamphlet?
2. Why does Paine think that America will succeed on its own?
3. Why does Paine write Common Sense anonymously and how does he think his work will be remembered?
4. How does Paine think America's Continental Congress should be designed?
5. According to Paine, how does England view the French Revolution?
6. How does the government of England increase its revenue through its disagreements with other countries?
7. Why is it necessary for the states to be separated?
8. When does Paine wish the Revolution had begun and why?
9. What would happen to the land in America if the country reconciles with England?
10. What disappoints Paine about the limited examples of solid government that are available?
This section contains 898 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)