|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Paine believe that America will succeed?
(a) Because of its economic status.
(b) Because of unity.
(c) Because of great numbers.
(d) Because of its political status.
2. According to Paine, whose role in the French Revolution should not be diminished?
(a) John Adams.
(b) Abraham Lincoln.
(c) Benjamin Franklin.
(d) George Washington.
3. What grows along with a society?
(a) A need for less taxation.
(b) A need for more regulations.
(c) A need for more taxation.
(d) A need for fewer regulations.
4. What river are the American troops preparing to cross as Paine describes their trials and tribulations?
(a) The Delaware.
(b) The Hudson.
(c) The Missouri.
(d) The Mississippi.
5. In his letter to Howe, what comparison does Paine make about arguing with a man who has no use for authority?
(a) Giving medicine to the dead.
(b) Talking to the dead.
(c) Reasoning with a wall.
(d) Talking to a wall.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Paine, what is the difference between society and government?
2. Why does Paine state that America took up arms against England?
3. As Paine states in The Crisis, what word should never replace the word "Christian"?
4. How long does Burke think English subjects should serve in the Parliament?
5. What does Paine believe will happen with time?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the problems with using faith and religion for political purposes?
2. What are some of the other criticisms that Paine has about Howe?
3. What are the civil rights that Paine believes should be applied to government?
4. What is the difference between society and government?
5. What would happen to the land in America if the country reconciles with England?
6. Why does Paine write Common Sense anonymously and how does he think his work will be remembered?
7. What are the reasons Paine gives in support of America's Declaration of Independence?
8. When does Paine wish the Revolution had begun and why?
9. How does the government of England increase its revenue through its disagreements with other countries?
10. How does Burke misrepresent Dr. Price's speech and what is Paine's response?
This section contains 881 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)