|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Thomas Paine write the book Common Sense?
(b) With a co-writer.
(c) With two co-writers.
(d) With a ghost writer.
2. In his letter to Howe, what comparison does Paine make about arguing with a man who has no use for authority?
(a) Giving medicine to the dead.
(b) Reasoning with a wall.
(c) Talking to the dead.
(d) Talking to a wall.
3. What city did the British incorrectly assume was the center of America when they attacked it?
(d) New York.
4. What will the first twenty years of American independence not predict, according to Paine?
(a) The next ten years.
(b) The next twenty years.
(c) The next five years.
(d) The next fifteen years.
5. How did Paine originally view Burke, before he denounced the French Revolution?
(a) As a possible ally.
(b) As a possible threat.
(c) As an ally.
(d) As an enemy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does society promote?
2. How does Paine describe Burke's analysis of France?
3. How long would news take to travel from England to America if the two countries were to reconcile at this point?
4. Which proverb does Paine refer to when commenting on the acts of Howe and Burgoyne?
5. What does Paine believe each generation should have?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Paine hope the English people will do as a result of reading Burke's pamphlets?
2. Why is it necessary for the states to be separated?
3. Why is there a need for regulations and government in general?
4. What are some of the other criticisms that Paine has about Howe?
5. Why does Paine consider the English monarchy to be ineffective?
6. How does the government of England increase its revenue through its disagreements with other countries?
7. What are the problems with using faith and religion for political purposes?
8. What is the difference between society and government?
9. How did the American army defeat General Howe?
10. When does Paine wish the Revolution had begun and why?
This section contains 883 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)