|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many questions does Paine address in his final letter to the people of England?
2. Why does England constantly need a foe to battle?
(a) To provide a reason for its high taxes.
(b) To increase jobs through war.
(c) To increase trade agreements.
(d) To prove their place in the world.
3. How many total pages is Burke's denouncement of the French Revolution?
(a) Four hundred and sixty five.
(b) Five hundred and thirty four.
(c) Three hundred and fifty six.
(d) Six hundred and forty three.
4. When does Paine wish the Revolution had begun?
(a) Eight months later.
(b) Eight months earlier.
(c) Eight days later.
(d) Eight days earlier.
5. What does Paine use examples from scripture to explain?
(a) How, but not why kings became prominent.
(b) How, why, and when kings became prominent.
(c) Why, but not how or when kings became prominent.
(d) How and why kings became prominent.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what age can a monarch be appointed in Britain?
2. What prevents the British from effectively governing America?
3. How did the men in the American army fight Howe?
4. What concerns Paine about how Burke's pamphlet is published?
5. Why does Paine think the British are incapable of ruling America justly?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Paine hope the English people will do as a result of reading Burke's pamphlets?
2. What does Paine think that America will gain by separating from England?
3. How does Paine think America's Continental Congress should be designed?
4. What would happen to the land in America if the country reconciles with England?
5. How does Paine consider the state of America and his literary career after the revolution?
6. What is the view of Gideon that Paine uses as an example?
7. How does Burke misrepresent Dr. Price's speech and what is Paine's response?
8. What are the civil rights that Paine believes should be applied to government?
9. What mistake do the British make in attacking a particular city during the American Revolution?
10. How did Paine and Burke become enemies and what are Paine's concerns about Burke's pamphlet?
This section contains 935 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)