|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Paine refer to himself, with regards to Howe?
(a) A friend and countryman.
(b) A friend, enemy, and countryman.
(c) A friend and an enemy.
(d) An enemy and countryman.
2. How does Paine describe Burke's analysis of France?
(a) Darkness attempting to deny light.
(b) Darkness attempting to destroy light.
(c) Darkness attempting to illuminate light.
(d) Darkness attempting to conceal light.
3. Where is Paine living when Burke's pamphlet is being published?
4. According to Paine, what should not be confused with religion?
(a) A warm soul.
(b) An empty soul.
(c) A cold soul.
(d) A full soul.
5. How does Paine describe the Quakers?
(a) Quiet and inoffensive.
(b) Quiet but offensive.
(c) Inoffensive but loud.
(d) Offensive and loud.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many times does Burke mention the Bastille in his book?
2. What is the result of using faith for political reasons?
3. How did the men in the American army fight Howe?
4. How many questions does Paine address in his final letter to the people of England?
5. Which proverb does Paine refer to when commenting on the acts of Howe and Burgoyne?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the difference between society and government?
2. How does Paine think America's Continental Congress should be designed?
3. What are the problems with using faith and religion for political purposes?
4. Why does Paine think that America will succeed on its own?
5. Why does Paine consider the English monarchy to be ineffective?
6. Why is it necessary for the states to be separated?
7. What mistake do the British make in attacking a particular city during the American Revolution?
8. What is the view of Gideon that Paine uses as an example?
9. What does Paine think the effects of Burke's pamphlets will be and what are Burke's reasons for publishing them?
10. How does Burke misrepresent Dr. Price's speech and what is Paine's response?
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)