|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did the men in the American army fight Howe?
(a) They fought for an ideal, not property.
(b) They fought neither for an ideal nor property.
(c) They fought for property, not an ideal.
(d) They fought for an ideal and property.
2. How does Paine describe tyranny?
(a) An opponent that is not easily defeated now, but will be in the future.
(b) An opponent that once could have been easily defeated, but no longer.
(c) An opponent that is not easily defeated.
(d) An opponent that is easily defeated.
3. How many total pages is Burke's denouncement of the French Revolution?
(a) Five hundred and thirty four.
(b) Three hundred and fifty six.
(c) Six hundred and forty three.
(d) Four hundred and sixty five.
4. Where is Paine living when Burke's pamphlet is being published?
5. What did Gideon deny?
(a) The benefits of being a leader.
(b) The drawbacks of being a leader.
(c) The idea of being given the role of leader.
(d) The role of leader.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many ancient tyrannies does Paine think comprise the English Constitution?
2. At what age can a monarch be appointed in Britain?
3. Whom was the Rights of Man presented to?
4. What does Paine wish America could have used against the British?
5. How does Paine categorize Howe's victories?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Paine consider the state of America and his literary career after the revolution?
2. What disappoints Paine about the limited examples of solid government that are available?
3. What does Paine think that America will gain by separating from England?
4. When does Paine wish the Revolution had begun and why?
5. What does Paine hope the English people will do as a result of reading Burke's pamphlets?
6. What are the problems with using faith and religion for political purposes?
7. What is the difference between society and government?
8. Why is there a need for regulations and government in general?
9. What would happen to the land in America if the country reconciles with England?
10. How does the government of England increase its revenue through its disagreements with other countries?
This section contains 881 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)