|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Paine describe Burke's analysis of France?
(a) Darkness attempting to destroy light.
(b) Darkness attempting to illuminate light.
(c) Darkness attempting to deny light.
(d) Darkness attempting to conceal light.
2. How does Burke describe Louis XVI?
(a) A mild monarch.
(b) A beaten monarch.
(c) A fearful monarch.
(d) A resourceful monarch.
3. Why does Paine believe that America will succeed?
(a) Because of great numbers.
(b) Because of its economic status.
(c) Because of its political status.
(d) Because of unity.
4. What grows along with a society?
(a) A need for more regulations.
(b) A need for fewer regulations.
(c) A need for more taxation.
(d) A need for less taxation.
5. How does Paine describe society?
(a) As a good example.
(b) As a gift.
(c) As a perfect model.
(d) As a blessing.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many days before the taking of the Bastille did Marquis de La Fayette make a speech?
2. What does Paine profess about himself in The Crisis?
3. What tactic will the king use to gain favor in the long run if he cannot rule through force in the short run?
4. According to Paine, what goes against human nature?
5. What are the decrees outlining the foundation for a new French government called?
Short Essay Questions
1. What example of an uncivilized society does Paine use in Agrarian Justice?
2. What opinion does Paine have of people who believe and follow Christianity?
3. According to Paine, how does England view the French Revolution?
4. What is Paine's belief about land distribution at birth and why does he think it is impractical?
5. What are Paine's religious views when writing Age of Reason?
6. Why does Paine consider the English monarchy to be ineffective?
7. What are the reasons Paine has in writing the Rights of Man and to whom is it presented?
8. What are some of the other criticisms that Paine has about Howe?
9. What is the difference between society and government?
10. Does Paine think that a natural state and civilized state are exchangeable?
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)