|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Paine, what is Burke incapable of understanding about the way government works?
(a) The difference between representation and a monarchy.
(b) The difference between democracy, representation, and a monarchy.
(c) The difference between democracy and representation.
(d) The difference between democracy and a monarchy.
2. What does Paine think is created between religions by the existence of certain churches?
3. Does Paine believe it is possible to evolve from a civilized state to a natural state?
(c) He is not sure.
(d) Only in certain cases.
4. What happens if people refuse to obey a law they oppose?
(a) The argument against the law is strengthened.
(b) The argument against the law is weakened.
(c) The intentions of the argument are misunderstood.
(d) The intentions of the argument are proven false.
5. Why didn't Paine reply to any of the responses to the Rights of Man?
(a) He did not have the time.
(b) He did not have the resources.
(c) He did not know about many of the responses written.
(d) He did not think any of them could rival his own work.
6. What ancient philosopher does Paine mention in Age of Reason?
7. What type of payment does Paine think should be paid to those who have been cheated of their inheritance?
(a) An annual payment.
(b) A one-time payment.
(c) A quarterly payment.
(d) A monthly payment.
8. Why does Paine admire the Marquis?
(a) For his writings against the English.
(b) For his economic support of the American Revolution.
(c) For his cooperation and wisdom during the American Revolution.
(d) For his work with trade agreements between America and other countries.
9. How much was Washington compensated for his time as the first president?
(a) He received a large financial reward.
(b) He received a small financial reward.
(c) He received no financial reward.
(d) It is unknown how he was financially rewarded.
10. Without a guarantee of a better life, how does Paine compare the lives of people in a civilized society with life in the wilderness?
(a) They would be much better off living in the wilderness.
(b) They would be slightly better off living in the wilderness.
(c) They would almost be better off living in the wilderness.
(d) They would not be better off living in the wilderness.
11. Who does Paine think should be eligible to receive compensation for their disinheritance?
(a) Everyone, including land owners.
(b) Only land owners and those who plan to purchase land.
(c) Everyone, excluding land owners.
(d) Only land owners.
12. What part of the American Revolution received the most attention, according to Paine?
(a) The separation of America from England.
(b) The sacrifices made by the American people.
(c) The formation of a new government in America.
(d) The sacrifices made by the American soldiers.
13. According to Paine, which Greek mythological figure did the Virgin Mary replace in Christianity?
(b) Artemis of Ephesus.
(d) Diana of Ephesus.
14. In what way does the concept of holding property disinherit people?
(a) Gradually, at a slower pace.
(b) Gradually, at an even pace.
(d) Evenly, at a quicker pace.
15. What does Paine believe is possible with some of the cultures that are considered uncivilized?
(a) They might still have a better way to live.
(b) There are too many of them for the world to reach its goals.
(c) They will never have a better way to live.
(d) There are not enough of them to discuss.
Short Answer Questions
1. How should people self-impose laws in order to exist harmoniously in the absence of government?
2. How important is it for a civilized society to guarantee a better life for its people than if they had been born before civilization?
3. How many people are born equal in a natural state?
4. In the Christian tale, where is Satan banished to by the Almighty?
5. How old is the president of the United States required to be in order to presumably prevent inexperienced people from having the position?
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)