|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What term refers to a property that does not need to be maintained by the owner?
(a) Unlanded property.
(b) Landed property.
(c) Unfixed property.
(d) Fixed property.
2. Which years of the American Revolution did America have no government?
(a) The last two.
(b) The first two.
(c) The first three.
(d) The last three.
3. What is the reason for the ground rent a land owner should owe?
(a) To maintain the property, but not cultivate it.
(b) To maintain the property and cultivate it.
(c) To maintain the property, but not purchase more land.
(d) To maintain the property and purchase more land.
4. How many books did Burke publish after the Rights of Man was released?
5. How does Paine describe life in an uncivilized culture?
(a) As an extended vacation.
(b) As a continual vacation.
(c) As a continual holiday.
(d) As an extended holiday.
6. What form does Satan take on in reappearing?
(a) A raven.
(b) A wolf.
(c) A snake.
(d) A crow.
7. What does Paine believe is possible with some of the cultures that are considered uncivilized?
(a) There are not enough of them to discuss.
(b) They will never have a better way to live.
(c) There are too many of them for the world to reach its goals.
(d) They might still have a better way to live.
8. What does Paine surmise Burke's view of government entails?
(a) Government should be controlled by the people.
(b) Government should only control some people.
(c) People should be controlled by government.
(d) People should only control some forms of government.
9. To what does Paine compare kings?
10. What does Paine explain about the Almighty's response after Eve bites the apple?
(a) The Almighty banishes Satan to a cave.
(b) The Almighty allows Satan to remain on earth.
(c) The Almighty banishes Satan to a pit.
(d) The Almighty banishes Satan to a mountain.
11. What does Paine think civilized states need to develop remedies for?
(a) To cure ignorance.
(b) To cure illness.
(c) To cure evil.
(d) To cure apathy.
12. How much of the earth's population does the concept of holding property disinherit?
(a) All of it.
(b) Half of it.
(c) Three fourths of it.
(d) One fourth of it.
13. According to Paine, what is Burke incapable of understanding about the way government works?
(a) The difference between democracy and representation.
(b) The difference between democracy, representation, and a monarchy.
(c) The difference between representation and a monarchy.
(d) The difference between democracy and a monarchy.
14. When does Paine believe every person should be issued property?
(a) At fifteen years of age.
(b) At ten years of age.
(c) At twenty years of age.
(d) At birth.
15. What will happen to a person who denies another the right to practice a different religion?
(a) That person will never be able to change his or her own mind.
(b) That person will never be able to criticize religion.
(c) That person will never be able to legitimately discuss religion.
(d) That person will never be able to change anyone else's mind.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the term canonization refer to?
2. In the Christian tale, where is Satan banished to by the Almighty?
3. Which countries have left room in their Constitution for revision if necessary in the future?
4. According to Paine, what should each man strive for?
5. On which concept was the old Whig party based?
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)