|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What makes Paine's goal of every person receiving property impossible?
(a) The inevitable greed of some in stealing property.
(b) The proportion of the limited number of people to the available land.
(c) The proportion of limited land to the number of people on the earth.
(d) The inability of some to take care of a property.
2. Which one of Burke's books contained several pages quoted from the Rights of Man?
(a) Appeal from the New to the Old Whigs.
(b) Further Reflections on the French Revolution.
(c) A Vindication of Natural Society.
(d) Thoughts on the Present Discontents.
3. What will happen to a person who denies another the right to practice a different religion?
(a) That person will never be able to criticize religion.
(b) That person will never be able to change anyone else's mind.
(c) That person will never be able to legitimately discuss religion.
(d) That person will never be able to change his or her own mind.
4. How does Paine describe the Resurrection?
(a) It was a public event.
(b) It was an incomparable event.
(c) It was a timeless event.
(d) It was a private event.
5. On which concept was the old Whig party based?
(a) A three-party system.
(c) A two-party system.
6. How does Paine describe life in an uncivilized culture?
(a) As a continual vacation.
(b) As an extended vacation.
(c) As a continual holiday.
(d) As an extended holiday.
7. According to Paine, what must civilized states be careful not to overlook?
(a) The hypocrisy of civilization.
(b) The evils of civilization.
(c) The mistakes made in a civilization.
(d) The preconceived notions in a civilization.
8. How well were Paine's views on religion known when Age of Reason was written?
(a) He was well known for advocating freedom of religion.
(b) He was well known for not advocating freedom of religion.
(c) His views on religion were only known by his friends.
(d) His views on religion were not known.
9. Who does a person that owns property owe ground rent to?
(a) The rest of society.
(b) Those who can afford to purchase the land for more than it is worth.
(c) Those who cannot afford land of their own.
(d) The government.
10. What does Paine compare to the limited freedom of people by the government?
11. As mentioned by Paine in Age of Reason, what did Jesus preach?
(a) Paine is unaware of the teachings of Jesus.
(b) Benevolence and morality.
(c) Only morality.
(d) Only benevolence.
12. According to Paine, what age should a person be to receive compensation for an disinheritance?
(a) Twenty-five years of age.
(b) Eighteen years of age.
(c) Twenty-one years of age.
(d) Thirty years of age.
13. Does Paine believe it is possible to evolve from a civilized state to a natural state?
(b) Only in certain cases.
(d) He is not sure.
14. What term refers to a property that does not need to be maintained by the owner?
(a) Unfixed property.
(b) Fixed property.
(c) Unlanded property.
(d) Landed property.
15. Who is hurt the most when a government tries to prohibit its people from reading a work the government disapproves of?
(a) The people.
(b) The publisher.
(c) The author.
(d) The government.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many rebuttals did Burke make to Paine's Rights of Man?
2. Which countries have left room in their Constitution for revision if necessary in the future?
3. What area do Paine and the Marquis differ on?
4. Which Indians does Paine use as an example in Agrarian Justice?
5. According to Paine, what is Burke incapable of understanding about the way government works?
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)