|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Paine, what age should a person be to receive compensation for an disinheritance?
(a) Twenty-five years of age.
(b) Twenty-one years of age.
(c) Eighteen years of age.
(d) Thirty years of age.
2. According to Paine, what must civilized states be careful not to overlook?
(a) The preconceived notions in a civilization.
(b) The hypocrisy of civilization.
(c) The evils of civilization.
(d) The mistakes made in a civilization.
3. According to Paine, what should each man strive for?
(a) To make the world a decent place.
(b) To make the world a noteworthy place.
(c) To make the world a happy place.
(d) To make the world a powerful place.
4. What does Paine think is created between religions by the existence of certain churches?
5. How did the conquerors treat defeated enemies in the earliest known governments?
(a) As paid employees.
(b) As individuals.
(c) As property.
(d) As equals.
6. When does Paine believe every person should be issued property?
(a) At ten years of age.
(b) At fifteen years of age.
(c) At twenty years of age.
(d) At birth.
7. What does Paine think is odd about the conversation between Eve and Satan?
(a) Eve is not confused.
(b) Eve is not frightened.
(c) The shortness of the conversation.
(d) The extensive length of the conversation.
8. How many people witnessed and documented the Resurrection?
9. What type of payment does Paine think should be paid to those who have been cheated of their inheritance?
(a) A one-time payment.
(b) An annual payment.
(c) A monthly payment.
(d) A quarterly payment.
10. Which one of Burke's books contained several pages quoted from the Rights of Man?
(a) A Vindication of Natural Society.
(b) Further Reflections on the French Revolution.
(c) Appeal from the New to the Old Whigs.
(d) Thoughts on the Present Discontents.
11. How many of the pamphlets printed in response to the Rights of Man does Paine consider worth remembering?
12. What does Paine think civilized states need to develop remedies for?
(a) To cure illness.
(b) To cure evil.
(c) To cure apathy.
(d) To cure ignorance.
13. What is not present in the Indian culture?
(a) Several different views.
(b) Extreme similarities.
(c) Extreme opposites.
(d) One dominant view.
14. Why did people who lived in ancient times choose not to cultivate the land they occupied?
(a) To remain safe from the animals in the wilderness.
(b) To keep a constant supply of food and water.
(c) To prevent disputes over land rights.
(d) To prevent the theft of land.
15. What area do Paine and the Marquis differ on?
(a) Where political reform needs to occur.
(b) How political reform can occur.
(c) Why political reform should occur.
(d) When political reform can occur.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what does Paine compare kings?
2. How much was Washington compensated for his time as the first president?
3. According to Paine, what is Burke incapable of understanding about the way government works?
4. What claim does Paine make about cultivation?
5. On which concept is the new Whig party based?
This section contains 563 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)