Final Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What must be in place once a country becomes civilized?
(a) A system to prevent the natural state from returning.
(b) A system to prove the validity of the natural state.
(c) A system to change the natural state.
(d) A system to preserve the natural state.
2. What claim does Paine make about cultivation?
(a) It is an unnecessary thing.
(b) It is a necessary thing.
(c) It is one of the best things to ever be invented.
(d) It is one of the worst things to ever be invented.
3. What does Paine think is created between religions by the existence of certain churches?
4. What is not present in the Indian culture?
(a) Extreme opposites.
(b) Extreme similarities.
(c) One dominant view.
(d) Several different views.
5. Does Paine believe it is possible to evolve from a natural state to a civilized state?
(b) He is unsure.
(c) Only in certain cases.
6. According to Paine, what happened as a result of the Christian tales?
(a) A few moral standards improved.
(b) Many moral standards improved.
(c) Many great lives were lived.
(d) A few great lives were lived.
7. How does Paine describe life in an uncivilized culture?
(a) As an extended holiday.
(b) As a continual vacation.
(c) As a continual holiday.
(d) As an extended vacation.
8. According to the second part of the Rights of Man, when was Combining Principals and Practice written?
9. Why does Paine admire the Marquis?
(a) For his economic support of the American Revolution.
(b) For his work with trade agreements between America and other countries.
(c) For his cooperation and wisdom during the American Revolution.
(d) For his writings against the English.
10. After being banished by the Almighty, where did Satan later reappear?
(a) In a forest.
(b) In a garden.
(c) In a tree.
(d) In a river.
11. What does Paine think civilized states need to develop remedies for?
(a) To cure apathy.
(b) To cure ignorance.
(c) To cure illness.
(d) To cure evil.
12. When does Paine believe every person should be issued property?
(a) At fifteen years of age.
(b) At ten years of age.
(c) At twenty years of age.
(d) At birth.
13. In what way does the concept of holding property disinherit people?
(b) Gradually, at a slower pace.
(c) Evenly, at a quicker pace.
(d) Gradually, at an even pace.
14. Who does Paine think should be eligible to receive compensation for their disinheritance?
(a) Only land owners.
(b) Everyone, excluding land owners.
(c) Everyone, including land owners.
(d) Only land owners and those who plan to purchase land.
15. What does Paine believe about revelation?
(a) It can only be achieved secondhand.
(b) It can only be achieved in church.
(c) It cannot be achieved secondhand.
(d) It cannot be achieved in church.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which one of the following does Paine list as an example of an uncivilized culture?
2. According to Paine, which Greek mythological figure did the Virgin Mary replace in Christianity?
3. What makes Paine's goal of every person receiving property impossible?
4. What are the main components of a civilized society?
5. What ancient philosopher does Paine mention in Age of Reason?
This section contains 579 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)