|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What point does Paine make about the rights of people to believe in events that took place?
(a) People should believe in something they have not seen, only if it is reported by credible witnesses.
(b) People should believe in something they have not seen, only if it is reported by witnesses.
(c) People do not have the right to doubt something they have not witnessed.
(d) People have the right not to believe something they have not witnessed.
2. How much was Washington compensated for his time as the first president?
(a) He received no financial reward.
(b) It is unknown how he was financially rewarded.
(c) He received a large financial reward.
(d) He received a small financial reward.
3. Who is hurt the most when a government tries to prohibit its people from reading a work the government disapproves of?
(a) The publisher.
(b) The government.
(c) The people.
(d) The author.
4. How many years does Paine think the aristocracy or monarchy will last after the writing of his pamphlet?
(a) Not more than seven years.
(b) Not more than twelve years.
(c) Not more than ten years.
(d) Not more than twenty five years.
5. What term refers to a property that does not need to be maintained by the owner?
(a) Unlanded property.
(b) Unfixed property.
(c) Landed property.
(d) Fixed property.
6. What does Paine believe about revelation?
(a) It can only be achieved secondhand.
(b) It cannot be achieved secondhand.
(c) It cannot be achieved in church.
(d) It can only be achieved in church.
7. What does Paine find interesting about the Immaculate Conception?
(a) Its meaning has changed with time.
(b) It can be disproven.
(c) Its meaning has not changed with time.
(d) It cannot be disproven.
8. How many people witnessed and documented the Resurrection?
9. Who does Paine think should be eligible to receive compensation for their disinheritance?
(a) Everyone, excluding land owners.
(b) Everyone, including land owners.
(c) Only land owners and those who plan to purchase land.
(d) Only land owners.
10. What is not present in the Indian culture?
(a) Several different views.
(b) Extreme similarities.
(c) One dominant view.
(d) Extreme opposites.
11. Besides the length, what is the reason Paine wanted to separate the sections of the Rights of Man?
(a) It was easier to release two sections on a limited budget.
(b) It was easier for the people of the world to understand the smaller sections.
(c) He did not want Burke to be able to refute the second section.
(d) He wanted Burke to be able to refute the first section.
12. If the American Revolution had been fought only to separate America from England, how much attention does Paine think it would have received?
(a) A considerable amount of attention.
(b) The attention of the world.
(c) Very little attention.
(d) No attention.
13. How old is the president of the United States required to be in order to presumably prevent inexperienced people from having the position?
(a) Thirty years of age.
(b) Forty years of age.
(c) Twenty-five years of age.
(d) Thirty-five years of age.
14. Which one of the following does Paine list as an example of an uncivilized culture?
(a) The middle class in South America.
(b) The poor in Europe.
(c) The poor in South America.
(d) The middle class in Europe.
15. When does Paine believe every person should be issued property?
(a) At ten years of age.
(b) At twenty years of age.
(c) At birth.
(d) At fifteen years of age.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Paine describe the people of ancient times in Agrarian Justice?
2. How many people are born equal in a natural state?
3. What type of payment does Paine think should be paid to those who have been cheated of their inheritance?
4. How much of the earth's population does the concept of holding property disinherit?
5. As mentioned by Paine in Age of Reason, what did Jesus preach?
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)