|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Paine, what should each man strive for?
(a) To make the world a decent place.
(b) To make the world a powerful place.
(c) To make the world a happy place.
(d) To make the world a noteworthy place.
2. Does Paine believe it is possible to evolve from a civilized state to a natural state?
(a) He is not sure.
(d) Only in certain cases.
3. What ancient philosopher does Paine mention in Age of Reason?
4. In what way does the concept of holding property disinherit people?
(a) Gradually, at an even pace.
(b) Gradually, at a slower pace.
(c) Evenly, at a quicker pace.
5. What does Paine think is odd about the conversation between Eve and Satan?
(a) The shortness of the conversation.
(b) Eve is not confused.
(c) The extensive length of the conversation.
(d) Eve is not frightened.
6. Which Indians does Paine use as an example in Agrarian Justice?
(a) The North American Indians.
(b) The West American Indians.
(c) The South American Indians.
(d) The East American Indians.
7. What are the main components of a civilized society?
(a) The affluent and the middle class.
(b) The middle class and the poor.
(c) The affluent and the poor.
(d) The affluent, the middle class, and the poor.
8. Which party did Washington belong to when he became the first president of the United States?
(a) The Whig Party.
(b) The Republican Party.
(c) The Democratic Party.
9. How does Paine describe the people of ancient times in Agrarian Justice?
10. To what does Paine compare kings?
11. Who is hurt the most when a government tries to prohibit its people from reading a work the government disapproves of?
(a) The government.
(b) The publisher.
(c) The people.
(d) The author.
12. How much of the earth's population does the concept of holding property disinherit?
(a) Half of it.
(b) All of it.
(c) Three fourths of it.
(d) One fourth of it.
13. What does Paine believe about revelation?
(a) It cannot be achieved secondhand.
(b) It cannot be achieved in church.
(c) It can only be achieved in church.
(d) It can only be achieved secondhand.
14. How should people self-impose laws in order to exist harmoniously in the absence of government?
(a) Only on a personal level.
(b) There can be no laws without government.
(c) On a personal and professional level.
(d) Only on a professional level.
15. Who does Paine think should be eligible to receive compensation for their disinheritance?
(a) Only land owners and those who plan to purchase land.
(b) Only land owners.
(c) Everyone, excluding land owners.
(d) Everyone, including land owners.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Paine, what age should a person be to receive compensation for an disinheritance?
2. What does Paine think civilized states need to develop remedies for?
3. In the Christian tale, where is Satan banished to by the Almighty?
4. What makes Paine's goal of every person receiving property impossible?
5. How does Paine describe the Resurrection?
This section contains 560 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)