|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Paine consider those who follow the Christian tales?
(a) He has pity for them.
(b) He does not have disdain for them.
(c) He does have disdain for them.
(d) He admires them.
2. What are the main components of a civilized society?
(a) The affluent, the middle class, and the poor.
(b) The affluent and the middle class.
(c) The affluent and the poor.
(d) The middle class and the poor.
3. Why didn't Paine reply to any of the responses to the Rights of Man?
(a) He did not have the time.
(b) He did not think any of them could rival his own work.
(c) He did not have the resources.
(d) He did not know about many of the responses written.
4. Which countries have left room in their Constitution for revision if necessary in the future?
(a) America and France.
(b) America, France, and England.
(c) America and England.
(d) France and England.
5. According to Paine, what is Burke incapable of understanding about the way government works?
(a) The difference between democracy and representation.
(b) The difference between representation and a monarchy.
(c) The difference between democracy, representation, and a monarchy.
(d) The difference between democracy and a monarchy.
6. What must be in place once a country becomes civilized?
(a) A system to preserve the natural state.
(b) A system to change the natural state.
(c) A system to prevent the natural state from returning.
(d) A system to prove the validity of the natural state.
7. How does Paine define a civilized society?
(a) One that has only one point of view.
(b) One that has extreme similarities.
(c) One that has extreme opposites.
(d) One that has three different points of views.
8. According to the second part of the Rights of Man, when was Combining Principals and Practice written?
9. When does Paine believe every person should be issued property?
(a) At birth.
(b) At twenty years of age.
(c) At ten years of age.
(d) At fifteen years of age.
10. Besides the length, what is the reason Paine wanted to separate the sections of the Rights of Man?
(a) He wanted Burke to be able to refute the first section.
(b) He did not want Burke to be able to refute the second section.
(c) It was easier for the people of the world to understand the smaller sections.
(d) It was easier to release two sections on a limited budget.
11. How does Paine describe life in an uncivilized culture?
(a) As an extended vacation.
(b) As a continual holiday.
(c) As an extended holiday.
(d) As a continual vacation.
12. What is Paine's opinion of the dispossession of property?
(a) It is a necessary thing.
(b) It is one of the best things to ever be invented.
(c) It is one of the worst things to ever be invented.
(d) It is an unnecessary thing.
13. According to Paine, what should each man strive for?
(a) To make the world a powerful place.
(b) To make the world a happy place.
(c) To make the world a decent place.
(d) To make the world a noteworthy place.
14. On which concept was the old Whig party based?
(c) A three-party system.
(d) A two-party system.
15. Why does Paine admire the Marquis?
(a) For his cooperation and wisdom during the American Revolution.
(b) For his writings against the English.
(c) For his economic support of the American Revolution.
(d) For his work with trade agreements between America and other countries.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Paine, which Greek mythological figure did the Virgin Mary replace in Christianity?
2. What makes Paine's goal of every person receiving property impossible?
3. What does Paine think is odd about the conversation between Eve and Satan?
4. How important is it for a civilized society to guarantee a better life for its people than if they had been born before civilization?
5. According to Paine, what age should a person be to receive compensation for an disinheritance?
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)