|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Paine, what happened as a result of the Christian tales?
(a) Many great lives were lived.
(b) Many moral standards improved.
(c) A few great lives were lived.
(d) A few moral standards improved.
2. What makes Paine's goal of every person receiving property impossible?
(a) The inability of some to take care of a property.
(b) The inevitable greed of some in stealing property.
(c) The proportion of the limited number of people to the available land.
(d) The proportion of limited land to the number of people on the earth.
3. How does Paine describe the Resurrection?
(a) It was a public event.
(b) It was an incomparable event.
(c) It was a private event.
(d) It was a timeless event.
4. What does Paine believe about revelation?
(a) It can only be achieved in church.
(b) It cannot be achieved secondhand.
(c) It can only be achieved secondhand.
(d) It cannot be achieved in church.
5. Which countries have left room in their Constitution for revision if necessary in the future?
(a) France and England.
(b) America and France.
(c) America, France, and England.
(d) America and England.
6. How old is the president of the United States required to be in order to presumably prevent inexperienced people from having the position?
(a) Thirty years of age.
(b) Forty years of age.
(c) Twenty-five years of age.
(d) Thirty-five years of age.
7. What does Paine prove in order to dispel a myth about government?
(a) Society will fail without government.
(b) Only certain societies need government.
(c) Most societies need government.
(d) Society will not fail without government.
8. What will happen to a person who denies another the right to practice a different religion?
(a) That person will never be able to criticize religion.
(b) That person will never be able to change anyone else's mind.
(c) That person will never be able to legitimately discuss religion.
(d) That person will never be able to change his or her own mind.
9. Where is the church located to which Paine subscribes?
(a) He does not subscribe to a church.
(c) In his mind.
10. What does Paine compare to the limited freedom of people by the government?
11. How much was Washington compensated for his time as the first president?
(a) It is unknown how he was financially rewarded.
(b) He received a large financial reward.
(c) He received a small financial reward.
(d) He received no financial reward.
12. How does Paine describe the people of ancient times in Agrarian Justice?
13. Which Indians does Paine use as an example in Agrarian Justice?
(a) The East American Indians.
(b) The South American Indians.
(c) The West American Indians.
(d) The North American Indians.
14. What do civilized states have that natural states do not?
(a) The enforcement of laws.
(c) The absence of laws.
15. According to Paine, what is Burke incapable of understanding about the way government works?
(a) The difference between democracy and a monarchy.
(b) The difference between representation and a monarchy.
(c) The difference between democracy and representation.
(d) The difference between democracy, representation, and a monarchy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of payment does Paine think should be paid to those who have been cheated of their inheritance?
2. In the Christian tale, where is Satan banished to by the Almighty?
3. What ancient philosopher does Paine mention in Age of Reason?
4. When does Paine believe every person should be issued property?
5. To what does Paine compare kings?
This section contains 581 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)