|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Paine explain about the Almighty's response after Eve bites the apple?
(a) The Almighty banishes Satan to a cave.
(b) The Almighty banishes Satan to a mountain.
(c) The Almighty banishes Satan to a pit.
(d) The Almighty allows Satan to remain on earth.
2. Who is hurt the most when a government tries to prohibit its people from reading a work the government disapproves of?
(a) The publisher.
(b) The people.
(c) The author.
(d) The government.
3. What part of the American Revolution received the most attention, according to Paine?
(a) The separation of America from England.
(b) The sacrifices made by the American people.
(c) The sacrifices made by the American soldiers.
(d) The formation of a new government in America.
4. To what does Paine compare kings?
5. What does Paine think is odd about the conversation between Eve and Satan?
(a) The shortness of the conversation.
(b) Eve is not frightened.
(c) The extensive length of the conversation.
(d) Eve is not confused.
6. According to Paine, what must civilized states be careful not to overlook?
(a) The evils of civilization.
(b) The hypocrisy of civilization.
(c) The preconceived notions in a civilization.
(d) The mistakes made in a civilization.
7. According to Paine, what is Burke incapable of understanding about the way government works?
(a) The difference between representation and a monarchy.
(b) The difference between democracy and representation.
(c) The difference between democracy and a monarchy.
(d) The difference between democracy, representation, and a monarchy.
8. Who does Paine think should be eligible to receive compensation for their disinheritance?
(a) Only land owners and those who plan to purchase land.
(b) Everyone, excluding land owners.
(c) Only land owners.
(d) Everyone, including land owners.
9. In what way does the concept of holding property disinherit people?
(a) Gradually, at an even pace.
(c) Gradually, at a slower pace.
(d) Evenly, at a quicker pace.
10. What does Paine find interesting about the Immaculate Conception?
(a) It can be disproven.
(b) Its meaning has not changed with time.
(c) It cannot be disproven.
(d) Its meaning has changed with time.
11. Which one of Burke's books contained several pages quoted from the Rights of Man?
(a) <i>A Vindication of Natural Society.</i>
(b) <i>Further Reflections on the French Revolution.</i>
(c) <i>Thoughts on the Present Discontents.</i>
(d) <i>Appeal from the New to the Old Whigs.</i>
12. What form does Satan take on in reappearing?
(a) A raven.
(b) A crow.
(c) A snake.
(d) A wolf.
13. According to Paine, what happened as a result of the Christian tales?
(a) A few moral standards improved.
(b) A few great lives were lived.
(c) Many great lives were lived.
(d) Many moral standards improved.
14. According to Paine, what age should a person be to receive compensation for an disinheritance?
(a) Twenty-five years of age.
(b) Eighteen years of age.
(c) Thirty years of age.
(d) Twenty-one years of age.
15. Which Indians does Paine use as an example in Agrarian Justice?
(a) The West American Indians.
(b) The North American Indians.
(c) The East American Indians.
(d) The South American Indians.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Paine, what should each man strive for?
2. How important is it for a civilized society to guarantee a better life for its people than if they had been born before civilization?
3. What does Paine think civilized states need to develop remedies for?
4. How does Paine define a civilized society?
5. Does Paine believe it is possible to evolve from a civilized state to a natural state?
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)