|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Paine consider those who follow the Christian tales?
(a) He has pity for them.
(b) He does have disdain for them.
(c) He admires them.
(d) He does not have disdain for them.
2. Why didn't Paine reply to any of the responses to the Rights of Man?
(a) He did not think any of them could rival his own work.
(b) He did not know about many of the responses written.
(c) He did not have the resources.
(d) He did not have the time.
3. Through his belief in God, what does Paine hope for?
(a) To convince others to believe in God.
(b) A joyful afterlife.
(c) To make a difference in his lifetime.
(d) A joyful end of life.
4. What do civilized states have that natural states do not?
(b) The absence of laws.
(c) The enforcement of laws.
5. According to Paine, what is Burke incapable of understanding about the way government works?
(a) The difference between democracy and a monarchy.
(b) The difference between representation and a monarchy.
(c) The difference between democracy and representation.
(d) The difference between democracy, representation, and a monarchy.
6. What does Paine believe about revelation?
(a) It cannot be achieved secondhand.
(b) It can only be achieved in church.
(c) It can only be achieved secondhand.
(d) It cannot be achieved in church.
7. If the American Revolution had been fought only to separate America from England, how much attention does Paine think it would have received?
(a) The attention of the world.
(b) Very little attention.
(c) A considerable amount of attention.
(d) No attention.
8. How much was Washington compensated for his time as the first president?
(a) He received a large financial reward.
(b) He received no financial reward.
(c) It is unknown how he was financially rewarded.
(d) He received a small financial reward.
9. What type of payment does Paine think should be paid to those who have been cheated of their inheritance?
(a) A monthly payment.
(b) A one-time payment.
(c) An annual payment.
(d) A quarterly payment.
10. How old is the president of the United States required to be in order to presumably prevent inexperienced people from having the position?
(a) Twenty-five years of age.
(b) Forty years of age.
(c) Thirty-five years of age.
(d) Thirty years of age.
11. What sacrifice was made in the formation of some churches, according to Paine?
12. What happens if people refuse to obey a law they oppose?
(a) The intentions of the argument are misunderstood.
(b) The argument against the law is weakened.
(c) The intentions of the argument are proven false.
(d) The argument against the law is strengthened.
13. What is the reason for the ground rent a land owner should owe?
(a) To maintain the property, but not cultivate it.
(b) To maintain the property, but not purchase more land.
(c) To maintain the property and cultivate it.
(d) To maintain the property and purchase more land.
14. What does Paine think civilized states need to develop remedies for?
(a) To cure ignorance.
(b) To cure apathy.
(c) To cure illness.
(d) To cure evil.
15. Which party did Washington belong to when he became the first president of the United States?
(a) The Republican Party.
(b) The Whig Party.
(c) The Democratic Party.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Paine describe the people of ancient times in Agrarian Justice?
2. What should the main purpose of a Constitution be?
3. What does the term canonization refer to?
4. When does Paine believe every person should be issued property?
5. What ancient philosopher does Paine mention in Age of Reason?
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)