|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Without a guarantee of a better life, how does Paine compare the lives of people in a civilized society with life in the wilderness?
(a) They would not be better off living in the wilderness.
(b) They would be much better off living in the wilderness.
(c) They would almost be better off living in the wilderness.
(d) They would be slightly better off living in the wilderness.
2. How much was Washington compensated for his time as the first president?
(a) He received a large financial reward.
(b) It is unknown how he was financially rewarded.
(c) He received a small financial reward.
(d) He received no financial reward.
3. What form does Satan take on in reappearing?
(a) A wolf.
(b) A snake.
(c) A raven.
(d) A crow.
4. How much of the New Testament did Jesus write?
(a) Very little.
(c) Only the first half.
(d) Only the second half.
5. How many people are born equal in a natural state?
(a) Most of them.
(b) All of them.
(c) Some of them.
(d) None of them.
6. How many years does Paine think the aristocracy or monarchy will last after the writing of his pamphlet?
(a) Not more than twelve years.
(b) Not more than ten years.
(c) Not more than seven years.
(d) Not more than twenty five years.
7. How many of the pamphlets printed in response to the Rights of Man does Paine consider worth remembering?
8. What type of payment does Paine think should be paid to those who have been cheated of their inheritance?
(a) An annual payment.
(b) A quarterly payment.
(c) A one-time payment.
(d) A monthly payment.
9. How important is it for a civilized society to guarantee a better life for its people than if they had been born before civilization?
(a) It is not important.
(b) It should be the primary goal.
(c) It should be the secondary goal.
(d) It should be one of many lesser goals.
10. Why does Paine admire the Marquis?
(a) For his work with trade agreements between America and other countries.
(b) For his cooperation and wisdom during the American Revolution.
(c) For his writings against the English.
(d) For his economic support of the American Revolution.
11. How did the conquerors treat defeated enemies in the earliest known governments?
(a) As equals.
(b) As property.
(c) As individuals.
(d) As paid employees.
12. Does Paine believe it is possible to evolve from a civilized state to a natural state?
(b) Only in certain cases.
(d) He is not sure.
13. According to the second part of the Rights of Man, when was Combining Principals and Practice written?
14. If the American Revolution had been fought only to separate America from England, how much attention does Paine think it would have received?
(a) The attention of the world.
(b) A considerable amount of attention.
(c) No attention.
(d) Very little attention.
15. Which one of the following does Paine list as an example of an uncivilized culture?
(a) The poor in Europe.
(b) The poor in South America.
(c) The middle class in Europe.
(d) The middle class in South America.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what way does the concept of holding property disinherit people?
2. Which Indians does Paine use as an example in Agrarian Justice?
3. How many books did Burke publish after the Rights of Man was released?
4. What does Paine compare to the limited freedom of people by the government?
5. Which party did Washington belong to when he became the first president of the United States?
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)