|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the second part of the Rights of Man, when was Combining Principals and Practice written?
2. What term refers to a property that does not need to be maintained by the owner?
(a) Unlanded property.
(b) Landed property.
(c) Fixed property.
(d) Unfixed property.
3. What form does Satan take on in reappearing?
(a) A snake.
(b) A raven.
(c) A crow.
(d) A wolf.
4. How old is the president of the United States required to be in order to presumably prevent inexperienced people from having the position?
(a) Thirty-five years of age.
(b) Forty years of age.
(c) Twenty-five years of age.
(d) Thirty years of age.
5. How many books did Burke publish after the Rights of Man was released?
6. According to Paine, what must civilized states be careful not to overlook?
(a) The preconceived notions in a civilization.
(b) The mistakes made in a civilization.
(c) The evils of civilization.
(d) The hypocrisy of civilization.
7. What do civilized states have that natural states do not?
(b) The enforcement of laws.
(d) The absence of laws.
8. How does Paine think that Christians are taught about the tales they learn?
(a) As history.
(b) As lessons.
(c) As events open to many interpretations.
(d) As questionable events.
9. What label does Paine give to revelations that have not been witnessed?
10. What does Paine believe is possible with some of the cultures that are considered uncivilized?
(a) There are not enough of them to discuss.
(b) They will never have a better way to live.
(c) There are too many of them for the world to reach its goals.
(d) They might still have a better way to live.
11. What claim does Paine make about cultivation?
(a) It is an unnecessary thing.
(b) It is one of the worst things to ever be invented.
(c) It is one of the best things to ever be invented.
(d) It is a necessary thing.
12. What does the term canonization refer to?
(a) The process in which a person requests to become a saint.
(b) The ceremony performed before a person can request to become a saint.
(c) The process in which a person becomes a saint.
(d) The ceremony performed after a person is declared a saint.
13. What area do Paine and the Marquis differ on?
(a) How political reform can occur.
(b) Where political reform needs to occur.
(c) Why political reform should occur.
(d) When political reform can occur.
14. From where does Paine think Christianity adapted a lot of its philosophies?
(a) Popular stories.
(b) Previous scriptures.
15. If the American Revolution had been fought only to separate America from England, how much attention does Paine think it would have received?
(a) A considerable amount of attention.
(b) Very little attention.
(c) The attention of the world.
(d) No attention.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the church located to which Paine subscribes?
2. What does Paine believe about revelation?
3. What is the reason for the ground rent a land owner should owe?
4. How does Paine consider those who follow the Christian tales?
5. What ancient philosopher does Paine mention in Age of Reason?
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)