|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many books did Burke publish after the Rights of Man was released?
2. How much of the earth's population does the concept of holding property disinherit?
(a) All of it.
(b) Half of it.
(c) One fourth of it.
(d) Three fourths of it.
3. What term refers to a property that does not need to be maintained by the owner?
(a) Unlanded property.
(b) Fixed property.
(c) Unfixed property.
(d) Landed property.
4. Where is the church located to which Paine subscribes?
(b) In his mind.
(d) He does not subscribe to a church.
5. How does Paine view the story of Eve and the apple?
(a) He thinks it is derogatory towards Eve.
(b) He thinks it is a testament to the powers of the Almighty.
(c) He thinks it is a testament to the intelligence of Eve.
(d) He thinks it is derogatory towards the Almighty.
6. What type of payment does Paine think should be paid to those who have been cheated of their inheritance?
(a) An annual payment.
(b) A one-time payment.
(c) A monthly payment.
(d) A quarterly payment.
7. What does Paine prove in order to dispel a myth about government?
(a) Only certain societies need government.
(b) Most societies need government.
(c) Society will not fail without government.
(d) Society will fail without government.
8. What does Paine believe about revelation?
(a) It cannot be achieved in church.
(b) It can only be achieved in church.
(c) It cannot be achieved secondhand.
(d) It can only be achieved secondhand.
9. What does Paine think civilized states need to develop remedies for?
(a) To cure evil.
(b) To cure ignorance.
(c) To cure illness.
(d) To cure apathy.
10. How many people are born equal in a natural state?
(a) Some of them.
(b) All of them.
(c) Most of them.
(d) None of them.
11. Who does a person that owns property owe ground rent to?
(a) The rest of society.
(b) Those who can afford to purchase the land for more than it is worth.
(c) Those who cannot afford land of their own.
(d) The government.
12. What must be in place once a country becomes civilized?
(a) A system to preserve the natural state.
(b) A system to change the natural state.
(c) A system to prevent the natural state from returning.
(d) A system to prove the validity of the natural state.
13. If the American Revolution had been fought only to separate America from England, how much attention does Paine think it would have received?
(a) A considerable amount of attention.
(b) The attention of the world.
(c) Very little attention.
(d) No attention.
14. Which Indians does Paine use as an example in Agrarian Justice?
(a) The North American Indians.
(b) The South American Indians.
(c) The West American Indians.
(d) The East American Indians.
15. Which party did Washington belong to when he became the first president of the United States?
(a) The Republican Party.
(b) The Whig Party.
(d) The Democratic Party.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Paine think that Christians are taught about the tales they learn?
2. Which one of the following does Paine list as an example of an uncivilized culture?
3. How well were Paine's views on religion known when Age of Reason was written?
4. According to Paine, what age should a person be to receive compensation for an disinheritance?
5. What does Paine surmise Burke's view of government entails?
This section contains 627 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)