|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much of the earth's population does the concept of holding property disinherit?
(a) One fourth of it.
(b) Three fourths of it.
(c) All of it.
(d) Half of it.
2. Which one of the following does Paine list as an example of an uncivilized culture?
(a) The middle class in Europe.
(b) The poor in Europe.
(c) The middle class in South America.
(d) The poor in South America.
3. What season does Paine use in the metaphor that ends the second part of the Rights of Man?
4. In Paine's opinion, how is the admiration of a story determined?
(a) The more fantastic a story is, the more it will be admired.
(b) The more admired a story is, the more it will be doubted.
(c) The more admired a story is, the less it will be doubted.
(d) The more fantastic a story is, the less it will be admired.
5. According to Paine, what must civilized states be careful not to overlook?
(a) The preconceived notions in a civilization.
(b) The hypocrisy of civilization.
(c) The mistakes made in a civilization.
(d) The evils of civilization.
6. Who is hurt the most when a government tries to prohibit its people from reading a work the government disapproves of?
(a) The publisher.
(b) The people.
(c) The author.
(d) The government.
7. How much was Washington compensated for his time as the first president?
(a) It is unknown how he was financially rewarded.
(b) He received no financial reward.
(c) He received a small financial reward.
(d) He received a large financial reward.
8. Which one of Burke's books contained several pages quoted from the Rights of Man?
(a) <i>Appeal from the New to the Old Whigs.</i>
(b) <i>A Vindication of Natural Society.</i>
(c) <i>Further Reflections on the French Revolution.</i>
(d) <i>Thoughts on the Present Discontents.</i>
9. What war does Paine believe might have been the inspiration for a Christian tale about the Almighty?
(a) The Giants against Jupiter.
(b) The Giants against Neptune.
(c) The Giants against Mercury.
(d) The Giants against Saturn.
10. What does Paine think is created between religions by the existence of certain churches?
11. How does Paine describe life in an uncivilized culture?
(a) As a continual vacation.
(b) As an extended vacation.
(c) As a continual holiday.
(d) As an extended holiday.
12. What is Paine's opinion of the dispossession of property?
(a) It is one of the best things to ever be invented.
(b) It is a necessary thing.
(c) It is one of the worst things to ever be invented.
(d) It is an unnecessary thing.
13. According to Paine, what is Burke incapable of understanding about the way government works?
(a) The difference between democracy, representation, and a monarchy.
(b) The difference between representation and a monarchy.
(c) The difference between democracy and representation.
(d) The difference between democracy and a monarchy.
14. How does Paine define a civilized society?
(a) One that has three different points of views.
(b) One that has extreme opposites.
(c) One that has only one point of view.
(d) One that has extreme similarities.
15. To what does Paine compare kings?
Short Answer Questions
1. In what way does the concept of holding property disinherit people?
2. Through his belief in God, what does Paine hope for?
3. Where is the church located to which Paine subscribes?
4. What are the main components of a civilized society?
5. What does Paine surmise Burke's view of government entails?
This section contains 639 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)