|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What part of the American Revolution received the most attention, according to Paine?
(a) The sacrifices made by the American people.
(b) The formation of a new government in America.
(c) The separation of America from England.
(d) The sacrifices made by the American soldiers.
2. Which countries have left room in their Constitution for revision if necessary in the future?
(a) America, France, and England.
(b) America and England.
(c) America and France.
(d) France and England.
3. According to the second part of the Rights of Man, when was Combining Principals and Practice written?
4. What are the main components of a civilized society?
(a) The affluent, the middle class, and the poor.
(b) The affluent and the middle class.
(c) The affluent and the poor.
(d) The middle class and the poor.
5. What does Paine think is odd about the conversation between Eve and Satan?
(a) The extensive length of the conversation.
(b) Eve is not confused.
(c) Eve is not frightened.
(d) The shortness of the conversation.
6. In what way does the concept of holding property disinherit people?
(b) Evenly, at a quicker pace.
(c) Gradually, at a slower pace.
(d) Gradually, at an even pace.
7. After being banished by the Almighty, where did Satan later reappear?
(a) In a tree.
(b) In a garden.
(c) In a forest.
(d) In a river.
8. As mentioned by Paine in Age of Reason, what did Jesus preach?
(a) Only benevolence.
(b) Benevolence and morality.
(c) Paine is unaware of the teachings of Jesus.
(d) Only morality.
9. How much was Washington compensated for his time as the first president?
(a) He received a small financial reward.
(b) He received a large financial reward.
(c) It is unknown how he was financially rewarded.
(d) He received no financial reward.
10. What happens if people refuse to obey a law they oppose?
(a) The intentions of the argument are misunderstood.
(b) The intentions of the argument are proven false.
(c) The argument against the law is strengthened.
(d) The argument against the law is weakened.
11. What season does Paine use in the metaphor that ends the second part of the Rights of Man?
12. How does Paine describe the people of ancient times in Agrarian Justice?
13. If the American Revolution had been fought only to separate America from England, how much attention does Paine think it would have received?
(a) No attention.
(b) The attention of the world.
(c) A considerable amount of attention.
(d) Very little attention.
14. What form does Satan take on in reappearing?
(a) A snake.
(b) A wolf.
(c) A raven.
(d) A crow.
15. How much of the earth's population does the concept of holding property disinherit?
(a) One fourth of it.
(b) Three fourths of it.
(c) All of it.
(d) Half of it.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Paine think should be eligible to receive compensation for their disinheritance?
2. Through his belief in God, what does Paine hope for?
3. How should people self-impose laws in order to exist harmoniously in the absence of government?
4. What does Paine prove in order to dispel a myth about government?
5. What type of payment does Paine think should be paid to those who have been cheated of their inheritance?
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)