|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. If the American Revolution had been fought only to separate America from England, how much attention does Paine think it would have received?
(a) A considerable amount of attention.
(b) No attention.
(c) The attention of the world.
(d) Very little attention.
2. What area do Paine and the Marquis differ on?
(a) How political reform can occur.
(b) Why political reform should occur.
(c) When political reform can occur.
(d) Where political reform needs to occur.
3. Who does a person that owns property owe ground rent to?
(a) The rest of society.
(b) Those who can afford to purchase the land for more than it is worth.
(c) The government.
(d) Those who cannot afford land of their own.
4. What does Paine think is created between religions by the existence of certain churches?
5. According to the second part of the Rights of Man, when was Combining Principals and Practice written?
6. What does Paine think is odd about the conversation between Eve and Satan?
(a) Eve is not frightened.
(b) The shortness of the conversation.
(c) Eve is not confused.
(d) The extensive length of the conversation.
7. As mentioned by Paine in Age of Reason, what did Jesus preach?
(a) Only morality.
(b) Only benevolence.
(c) Paine is unaware of the teachings of Jesus.
(d) Benevolence and morality.
8. Who does Paine think should be eligible to receive compensation for their disinheritance?
(a) Everyone, excluding land owners.
(b) Only land owners.
(c) Everyone, including land owners.
(d) Only land owners and those who plan to purchase land.
9. How many people are born equal in a natural state?
(a) Some of them.
(b) Most of them.
(c) None of them.
(d) All of them.
10. According to Paine, what must civilized states be careful not to overlook?
(a) The mistakes made in a civilization.
(b) The hypocrisy of civilization.
(c) The evils of civilization.
(d) The preconceived notions in a civilization.
11. Besides the length, what is the reason Paine wanted to separate the sections of the Rights of Man?
(a) It was easier to release two sections on a limited budget.
(b) It was easier for the people of the world to understand the smaller sections.
(c) He wanted Burke to be able to refute the first section.
(d) He did not want Burke to be able to refute the second section.
12. What makes Paine's goal of every person receiving property impossible?
(a) The proportion of limited land to the number of people on the earth.
(b) The inability of some to take care of a property.
(c) The inevitable greed of some in stealing property.
(d) The proportion of the limited number of people to the available land.
13. How well were Paine's views on religion known when Age of Reason was written?
(a) He was well known for not advocating freedom of religion.
(b) His views on religion were not known.
(c) His views on religion were only known by his friends.
(d) He was well known for advocating freedom of religion.
14. How does Paine think that Christians are taught about the tales they learn?
(a) As history.
(b) As questionable events.
(c) As events open to many interpretations.
(d) As lessons.
15. How many years does Paine think the aristocracy or monarchy will last after the writing of his pamphlet?
(a) Not more than twelve years.
(b) Not more than twenty five years.
(c) Not more than seven years.
(d) Not more than ten years.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Paine believe is possible with some of the cultures that are considered uncivilized?
2. What does Paine think civilized states need to develop remedies for?
3. After being banished by the Almighty, where did Satan later reappear?
4. On which concept was the old Whig party based?
5. What does the term canonization refer to?
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)