|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Does Paine believe it is possible to evolve from a natural state to a civilized state?
(a) Only in certain cases.
(b) He is unsure.
2. How does Paine describe life in an uncivilized culture?
(a) As a continual vacation.
(b) As an extended vacation.
(c) As an extended holiday.
(d) As a continual holiday.
3. How old is the president of the United States required to be in order to presumably prevent inexperienced people from having the position?
(a) Thirty years of age.
(b) Twenty-five years of age.
(c) Thirty-five years of age.
(d) Forty years of age.
4. Does Paine believe it is possible to evolve from a civilized state to a natural state?
(a) Only in certain cases.
(d) He is not sure.
5. What area do Paine and the Marquis differ on?
(a) How political reform can occur.
(b) When political reform can occur.
(c) Where political reform needs to occur.
(d) Why political reform should occur.
6. What part of the American Revolution received the most attention, according to Paine?
(a) The sacrifices made by the American people.
(b) The sacrifices made by the American soldiers.
(c) The formation of a new government in America.
(d) The separation of America from England.
7. According to Paine, what happened as a result of the Christian tales?
(a) Many great lives were lived.
(b) A few moral standards improved.
(c) A few great lives were lived.
(d) Many moral standards improved.
8. After being banished by the Almighty, where did Satan later reappear?
(a) In a tree.
(b) In a river.
(c) In a garden.
(d) In a forest.
9. According to Paine, what is Burke incapable of understanding about the way government works?
(a) The difference between democracy and a monarchy.
(b) The difference between democracy and representation.
(c) The difference between democracy, representation, and a monarchy.
(d) The difference between representation and a monarchy.
10. How many years does Paine think the aristocracy or monarchy will last after the writing of his pamphlet?
(a) Not more than twenty five years.
(b) Not more than twelve years.
(c) Not more than seven years.
(d) Not more than ten years.
11. As mentioned by Paine in Age of Reason, what did Jesus preach?
(a) Only benevolence.
(b) Benevolence and morality.
(c) Paine is unaware of the teachings of Jesus.
(d) Only morality.
12. What type of payment does Paine think should be paid to those who have been cheated of their inheritance?
(a) A monthly payment.
(b) An annual payment.
(c) A quarterly payment.
(d) A one-time payment.
13. What is the reason for the ground rent a land owner should owe?
(a) To maintain the property, but not cultivate it.
(b) To maintain the property and cultivate it.
(c) To maintain the property, but not purchase more land.
(d) To maintain the property and purchase more land.
14. How many of the pamphlets printed in response to the Rights of Man does Paine consider worth remembering?
15. In what way does the concept of holding property disinherit people?
(a) Gradually, at a slower pace.
(c) Evenly, at a quicker pace.
(d) Gradually, at an even pace.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Paine, what must civilized states be careful not to overlook?
2. What does the term canonization refer to?
3. How should people self-impose laws in order to exist harmoniously in the absence of government?
4. In the Christian tale, where is Satan banished to by the Almighty?
5. Who does a person that owns property owe ground rent to?
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)