|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Paine describe the Resurrection?
(a) It was an incomparable event.
(b) It was a timeless event.
(c) It was a public event.
(d) It was a private event.
2. What does Paine find interesting about the Immaculate Conception?
(a) It can be disproven.
(b) It cannot be disproven.
(c) Its meaning has changed with time.
(d) Its meaning has not changed with time.
3. What type of payment does Paine think should be paid to those who have been cheated of their inheritance?
(a) An annual payment.
(b) A monthly payment.
(c) A one-time payment.
(d) A quarterly payment.
4. What will happen to a person who denies another the right to practice a different religion?
(a) That person will never be able to criticize religion.
(b) That person will never be able to legitimately discuss religion.
(c) That person will never be able to change his or her own mind.
(d) That person will never be able to change anyone else's mind.
5. How many of the pamphlets printed in response to the Rights of Man does Paine consider worth remembering?
6. After being banished by the Almighty, where did Satan later reappear?
(a) In a river.
(b) In a garden.
(c) In a tree.
(d) In a forest.
7. According to Paine, what is Burke incapable of understanding about the way government works?
(a) The difference between democracy and representation.
(b) The difference between representation and a monarchy.
(c) The difference between democracy, representation, and a monarchy.
(d) The difference between democracy and a monarchy.
8. How much of the earth's population does the concept of holding property disinherit?
(a) Three fourths of it.
(b) All of it.
(c) One fourth of it.
(d) Half of it.
9. How does Paine describe life in an uncivilized culture?
(a) As an extended vacation.
(b) As a continual vacation.
(c) As a continual holiday.
(d) As an extended holiday.
10. Which one of the following does Paine list as an example of an uncivilized culture?
(a) The middle class in Europe.
(b) The poor in Europe.
(c) The poor in South America.
(d) The middle class in South America.
11. Through his belief in God, what does Paine hope for?
(a) To make a difference in his lifetime.
(b) A joyful end of life.
(c) A joyful afterlife.
(d) To convince others to believe in God.
12. What are the main components of a civilized society?
(a) The affluent and the middle class.
(b) The affluent and the poor.
(c) The middle class and the poor.
(d) The affluent, the middle class, and the poor.
13. How many books did Burke publish after the Rights of Man was released?
14. How did the conquerors treat defeated enemies in the earliest known governments?
(a) As property.
(b) As paid employees.
(c) As individuals.
(d) As equals.
15. What is not present in the Indian culture?
(a) One dominant view.
(b) Several different views.
(c) Extreme opposites.
(d) Extreme similarities.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Paine, which Greek mythological figure did the Virgin Mary replace in Christianity?
2. What does Paine surmise Burke's view of government entails?
3. In what way does the concept of holding property disinherit people?
4. Which party did Washington belong to when he became the first president of the United States?
5. To what does Paine compare kings?
This section contains 563 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)