|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Howe support that draws Paine's criticism?
(a) The theft of American money.
(b) The counterfeiting of American money.
(c) The decreasing costs of American products.
(d) The rising costs of American products.
2. What does Paine believe would end government through hereditary?
(a) Having each king elected.
(b) Having each king only serve for five years.
(c) Having each king only serve for ten years.
(d) Having each king only serve two terms.
3. What did the lack of monarchy result in for Britain before the kings?
(a) A lack of commerce.
(b) A lack of war.
(c) A need for war.
(d) A need for commerce.
4. What are the questions about in Paine's last letter to the people of England?
(a) Only power.
(b) Only honor.
(c) Power and honor.
(d) Power, honor, and authority.
5. Whom was the Rights of Man presented to?
(a) George Washington.
(b) Benjamin Franklin.
(c) Abraham Lincoln.
(d) John Adams.
6. When did the English Revolution take place?
7. How does Paine describe society?
(a) As a perfect model.
(b) As a gift.
(c) As a blessing.
(d) As a good example.
8. What are the decrees outlining the foundation for a new French government called?
(a) The December Decrees.
(b) The August Decrees.
(c) The September Decrees.
(d) The November Decrees.
9. According to Paine, what should not be confused with religion?
(a) A cold soul.
(b) A warm soul.
(c) An empty soul.
(d) A full soul.
10. Which religious group of people does Paine think are persecuted?
(c) Those who pretend to be Quakers.
(d) Those who pretend to be Christians.
11. How many ancient tyrannies does Paine think comprise the English Constitution?
12. What does Burke continue to perpetuate with his actions?
(a) A false sense of security for the nations.
(b) Animosity between the nations.
(c) France's decreased status in the world.
(d) England's decreased status in the world.
13. How does Paine describe Burke's analysis of France?
(a) Darkness attempting to deny light.
(b) Darkness attempting to illuminate light.
(c) Darkness attempting to conceal light.
(d) Darkness attempting to destroy light.
14. How long would news take to travel from England to America if the two countries were to reconcile at this point?
(a) Two or three weeks.
(b) Four or five weeks.
(c) Two or three months.
(d) Four or five months.
15. What does Paine think about the idea of being a king through heredity?
(a) He thinks it is reasonable and unflawed.
(b) He thinks it is absurd and unnatural.
(c) He thinks it is flawed, but not unreasonable.
(d) He thinks it is unnatural, but not absurd.
Short Answer Questions
1. What types of goals should the members of the elected have?
2. According to Paine, whose role in the French Revolution should not be diminished?
3. According to Paine, what is the difference between society and government?
4. What does Paine profess about himself in The Crisis?
5. What does society promote?
This section contains 507 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)