|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does government promote?
2. According to Paine, what should not be confused with religion?
(a) An empty soul.
(b) A full soul.
(c) A warm soul.
(d) A cold soul.
3. How many questions does Paine address in his final letter to the people of England?
4. Where is Paine living when Burke's pamphlet is being published?
5. What does Paine profess about himself in The Crisis?
(a) He is not superstitious.
(b) He does not believe in miracles.
(c) He does believe in miracles.
(d) He is superstitious.
6. What tactic will the king use to gain favor in the long run if he cannot rule through force in the short run?
7. How many days before the taking of the Bastille did Marquis de La Fayette make a speech?
8. According to Paine, whose role in the French Revolution should not be diminished?
(a) George Washington.
(b) Abraham Lincoln.
(c) John Adams.
(d) Benjamin Franklin.
9. What does Paine wish America could have used against the British?
(a) The harshness of winter.
(b) The element of surprise.
(c) The use of inside information.
(d) The heat of summer.
10. Why does Paine state that America took up arms against England?
(a) England forced the hand of America.
(b) America had become more prosperous than almost all other countries.
(c) Other countries forced the hand of America.
(d) America had become more prosperous than England.
11. From where was English rule founded?
12. What does Paine attribute his literary career to?
(a) Only the revolution.
(b) The revolution and his dedication to independence.
(c) The revolution, his dedication to independence, and the will of the American people.
(d) Only his dedication to independence.
13. When did Edmund Burke attack the French Revolution in a book?
14. What is the result of using faith for political reasons?
(a) It undermines only the religion involved.
(b) It undermines the religions that are not involved.
(c) It undermines all religions.
(d) It undermines the right to practice religion freely.
15. What does Paine believe would end government through hereditary?
(a) Having each king only serve two terms.
(b) Having each king elected.
(c) Having each king only serve for ten years.
(d) Having each king only serve for five years.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long would news take to travel from England to America if the two countries were to reconcile at this point?
2. How does Paine categorize Howe's victories?
3. As Paine states in The Crisis, what word should never replace the word "Christian"?
4. What does Paine consider the government to be?
5. Which country has England chosen as its new foe when Paine writes the Rights of Man?
This section contains 462 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)