|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Paine, what is the difference between society and government?
(a) Positivism versus negativism.
(b) East versus West.
(c) Right versus wrong.
(d) North versus South.
2. How does Burke describe Louis XVI?
(a) A resourceful monarch.
(b) A mild monarch.
(c) A fearful monarch.
(d) A beaten monarch.
3. What replaced hopelessness during a long battle, as Paine recounts?
4. What does Paine wish America could have used against the British?
(a) The harshness of winter.
(b) The element of surprise.
(c) The use of inside information.
(d) The heat of summer.
5. What will the first twenty years of American independence not predict, according to Paine?
(a) The next twenty years.
(b) The next five years.
(c) The next ten years.
(d) The next fifteen years.
6. What are the decrees outlining the foundation for a new French government called?
(a) The December Decrees.
(b) The September Decrees.
(c) The November Decrees.
(d) The August Decrees.
7. What does society promote?
8. In his letter to Howe, what comparison does Paine make about arguing with a man who has no use for authority?
(a) Giving medicine to the dead.
(b) Talking to a wall.
(c) Talking to the dead.
(d) Reasoning with a wall.
9. What does Paine use as a miserable example of the Constitution that America is trying to adopt?
10. Which country has England chosen as its new foe when Paine writes the Rights of Man?
11. According to Paine, whose role in the French Revolution should not be diminished?
(a) Benjamin Franklin.
(b) John Adams.
(c) Abraham Lincoln.
(d) George Washington.
12. How many questions does Paine address in his final letter to the people of England?
13. In an ideal world, who would make decisions regarding regulations?
(a) All members of society.
(b) All members of government.
(c) A select few members of society.
(d) A select few members of government.
14. How does Paine describe Burke's descriptions of the French during the Revolution?
(a) Disturbing and predictable.
(b) Vulgar and predictable.
(c) Disturbing, vulgar, and predictable.
(d) Disturbing and vulgar.
15. What does Paine believe would end government through hereditary?
(a) Having each king only serve for ten years.
(b) Having each king only serve two terms.
(c) Having each king elected.
(d) Having each king only serve for five years.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many total pages is Burke's denouncement of the French Revolution?
2. How many years of the Revolution does Paine discuss in a letter to the Inhabitants of America?
3. How did Paine originally view Burke, before he denounced the French Revolution?
4. How long does Burke think English subjects should serve in the Parliament?
5. What types of goals should the members of the elected have?
This section contains 510 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)