|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Paine respond to the people who cannot follow his logic?
(a) He is angered.
(b) He is confused.
(c) He is shocked.
(d) He is ambivalent.
2. Which one of the following is not included in the natural rights Paine believes should be retained by people after they are born?
(a) The right to stand up for a cause.
(b) The right to be provided for.
(c) The right to practice religion.
(d) The right to procure happiness.
3. Why does Paine believe that America will succeed?
(a) Because of unity.
(b) Because of great numbers.
(c) Because of its economic status.
(d) Because of its political status.
4. What types of goals should the members of the elected have?
(a) The same goals as other countries.
(b) The same goals as half of the body.
(c) The same goals as the body.
(d) The same goals as the largest populated cities.
5. What does Paine profess about himself in The Crisis?
(a) He is not superstitious.
(b) He does not believe in miracles.
(c) He is superstitious.
(d) He does believe in miracles.
6. How many years of the Revolution does Paine discuss in a letter to the Inhabitants of America?
(a) The last four.
(b) The last three.
(c) The first four.
(d) The first three.
7. What does government promote?
8. What does Howe support that draws Paine's criticism?
(a) The counterfeiting of American money.
(b) The decreasing costs of American products.
(c) The theft of American money.
(d) The rising costs of American products.
9. When did Edmund Burke attack the French Revolution in a book?
10. How did Paine originally view Burke, before he denounced the French Revolution?
(a) As a possible ally.
(b) As an ally.
(c) As a possible threat.
(d) As an enemy.
11. When does Paine wish the Revolution had begun?
(a) Eight months earlier.
(b) Eight days earlier.
(c) Eight months later.
(d) Eight days later.
12. At what age can a monarch be appointed in Britain?
(a) At age twenty.
(b) At any age.
(c) At age ten.
(d) At age fifteen.
13. What does society promote?
14. How does Thomas Paine write the book Common Sense?
(b) With a co-writer.
(c) With a ghost writer.
(d) With two co-writers.
15. According to Paine, what goes against human nature?
(a) Absolute governments.
(b) An absence of government.
(c) Partial governments.
(d) A self-sufficient government.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Gideon deny?
2. What point does Paine use Joan of Arc as an example to support?
3. What concerns Paine about how Burke's pamphlet is published?
4. What does Paine attribute his literary career to?
5. How does Paine categorize Howe's victories?
This section contains 484 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)