|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Age of Reason.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is the church located to which Paine subscribes?
(c) In his mind.
(d) He does not subscribe to a church.
2. In his letter to Howe, what comparison does Paine make about arguing with a man who has no use for authority?
(a) Giving medicine to the dead.
(b) Talking to the dead.
(c) Talking to a wall.
(d) Reasoning with a wall.
3. What does society promote?
4. What does Paine think is odd about the conversation between Eve and Satan?
(a) Eve is not confused.
(b) Eve is not frightened.
(c) The extensive length of the conversation.
(d) The shortness of the conversation.
5. What point does Paine make about the rights of people to believe in events that took place?
(a) People have the right not to believe something they have not witnessed.
(b) People should believe in something they have not seen, only if it is reported by credible witnesses.
(c) People should believe in something they have not seen, only if it is reported by witnesses.
(d) People do not have the right to doubt something they have not witnessed.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Paine think about the idea of being a king through heredity?
2. How long would news take to travel from England to America if the two countries were to reconcile at this point?
3. How many rebuttals did Burke make to Paine's Rights of Man?
4. How did Paine originally view Burke, before he denounced the French Revolution?
5. How does Paine describe Burke's analysis of France?
This section contains 323 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)