|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Rights of Man, Part I.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Paine state that America took up arms against England?
(a) England forced the hand of America.
(b) America had become more prosperous than England.
(c) Other countries forced the hand of America.
(d) America had become more prosperous than almost all other countries.
2. When did Edmund Burke attack the French Revolution in a book?
3. What did the lack of monarchy result in for Britain before the kings?
(a) A need for war.
(b) A lack of war.
(c) A lack of commerce.
(d) A need for commerce.
4. What does Paine consider the government to be?
(a) An unnecessary evil.
(b) A necessary evil.
(c) A necessary problem.
(d) An unnecessary problem.
5. In his letter to Howe, what comparison does Paine make about arguing with a man who has no use for authority?
(a) Talking to the dead.
(b) Giving medicine to the dead.
(c) Reasoning with a wall.
(d) Talking to a wall.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does a strong government assure against?
2. How many ancient tyrannies does Paine think comprise the English Constitution?
3. What does Paine hope the English people will realize from Burke's pamphlet?
4. At what age can a monarch be appointed in Britain?
5. How many questions does Paine address in his final letter to the people of England?
This section contains 263 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)