|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Rights of Man, Part I.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Paine, what does Burke lack?
(a) An understanding of government.
(b) An understanding of economics.
(c) An understanding of history.
(d) An understanding of liberty.
2. In an ideal world, who would make decisions regarding regulations?
(a) All members of government.
(b) A select few members of society.
(c) All members of society.
(d) A select few members of government.
3. Which religious group of people does Paine think are persecuted?
(b) Those who pretend to be Christians.
(c) Those who pretend to be Quakers.
4. What does Paine attribute his literary career to?
(a) The revolution, his dedication to independence, and the will of the American people.
(b) The revolution and his dedication to independence.
(c) Only his dedication to independence.
(d) Only the revolution.
5. What does Paine believe would end government through hereditary?
(a) Having each king only serve for ten years.
(b) Having each king only serve for five years.
(c) Having each king only serve two terms.
(d) Having each king elected.
Short Answer Questions
1. What tactic will the king use to gain favor in the long run if he cannot rule through force in the short run?
2. In his letter to Howe, what comparison does Paine make about arguing with a man who has no use for authority?
3. How does Paine refer to himself, with regards to Howe?
4. How long does Burke think English subjects should serve in the Parliament?
5. Why does the monarchy no longer work in Paine's opinion?
This section contains 320 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)