|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Crisis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which religious group of people does Paine think are persecuted?
(c) Those who pretend to be Christians.
(d) Those who pretend to be Quakers.
2. What is the famous quote by Paine that starts the section, The Crisis?
(a) These are the times that men's souls are tested.
(b) These are the men whose soul's need to be tested.
(c) These are the men whose soul's have been tried.
(d) These are the times that try men's souls.
3. According to Paine, what is the difference between society and government?
(a) Right versus wrong.
(b) East versus West.
(c) Positivism versus negativism.
(d) North versus South.
4. In his letter to Howe, what comparison does Paine make about arguing with a man who has no use for authority?
(a) Talking to a wall.
(b) Talking to the dead.
(c) Reasoning with a wall.
(d) Giving medicine to the dead.
5. According to Paine, what goes against human nature?
(a) Absolute governments.
(b) An absence of government.
(c) Partial governments.
(d) A self-sufficient government.
Short Answer Questions
1. From where was English rule founded?
2. What does Paine wish America could have used against the British?
3. What city did the British incorrectly assume was the center of America when they attacked it?
4. How does Paine describe tyranny?
5. What grows along with a society?
This section contains 282 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)