|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Crisis.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the Introduction, what does Paine state about the thoughts of the book?
(a) They are popular for half of the country.
(b) They are popular for all of the country.
(c) They may have been popular at an earlier date.
(d) They may not be popular.
2. What replaced hopelessness during a long battle, as Paine recounts?
3. Why do Englishmen defend their king?
(a) Out of reason, rather than national pride.
(b) Out of neither reason nor national pride.
(c) Out of both reason and national pride.
(d) Out of national pride, rather than reason.
4. What will the first twenty years of American independence not predict, according to Paine?
(a) The next five years.
(b) The next twenty years.
(c) The next ten years.
(d) The next fifteen years.
5. Why does Paine believe that America will succeed?
(a) Because of great numbers.
(b) Because of unity.
(c) Because of its economic status.
(d) Because of its political status.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long would news take to travel from England to America if the two countries were to reconcile at this point?
2. What prevents the British from effectively governing America?
3. What does Howe support that draws Paine's criticism?
4. What are the questions about in Paine's last letter to the people of England?
5. For what does Paine compliment Washington?
This section contains 282 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)