|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Introduction and Appendix.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Paine, what is the difference between society and government?
(a) North versus South.
(b) Positivism versus negativism.
(c) East versus West.
(d) Right versus wrong.
2. Why does the monarchy no longer work in Paine's opinion?
(a) Because the king has stopped listening to the people.
(b) Because the king is not far enough away from the people.
(c) Because the king is too far away from the people.
(d) Because the king has stopped talking to the people.
3. According to British law, how long do the children of the king have the right to rule over every common person?
(a) As long as the government reigns.
(b) Only up until the third generation.
(c) Only up until the second generation.
(d) Only for the first generation.
4. How many ancient tyrannies does Paine think comprise the English Constitution?
5. Why does Paine state that America took up arms against England?
(a) England forced the hand of America.
(b) America had become more prosperous than almost all other countries.
(c) America had become more prosperous than England.
(d) Other countries forced the hand of America.
Short Answer Questions
1. From where was English rule founded?
2. What types of goals should the members of the elected have?
3. What does Paine believe should never separate the elected from the electors?
4. What does a strong government assure against?
5. What will the first twenty years of American independence not predict, according to Paine?
This section contains 306 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)