|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Introduction and Appendix.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Paine believe should never separate the elected from the electors?
(a) Belief, action, or money.
(b) Belief or action.
(c) Belief, but not action.
(d) Action, but not belief.
2. Why does Paine state that America took up arms against England?
(a) America had become more prosperous than almost all other countries.
(b) England forced the hand of America.
(c) America had become more prosperous than England.
(d) Other countries forced the hand of America.
3. Why does Paine believe that America will succeed?
(a) Because of its political status.
(b) Because of unity.
(c) Because of its economic status.
(d) Because of great numbers.
4. How many ancient tyrannies does Paine think comprise the English Constitution?
5. What does Paine consider the government to be?
(a) A necessary evil.
(b) An unnecessary evil.
(c) An unnecessary problem.
(d) A necessary problem.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Englishmen defend their king?
2. In the Introduction, what does Paine state about the thoughts of the book?
3. What did the lack of monarchy result in for Britain before the kings?
4. According to Paine, what is the difference between society and government?
5. How long would news take to travel from England to America if the two countries were to reconcile at this point?
This section contains 294 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)