|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Introduction and Appendix.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do Englishmen defend their king?
(a) Out of reason, rather than national pride.
(b) Out of national pride, rather than reason.
(c) Out of both reason and national pride.
(d) Out of neither reason nor national pride.
2. Why does the monarchy no longer work in Paine's opinion?
(a) Because the king has stopped talking to the people.
(b) Because the king has stopped listening to the people.
(c) Because the king is too far away from the people.
(d) Because the king is not far enough away from the people.
3. What does Paine believe would end government through hereditary?
(a) Having each king only serve two terms.
(b) Having each king elected.
(c) Having each king only serve for five years.
(d) Having each king only serve for ten years.
4. How does Thomas Paine write the book Common Sense?
(a) With two co-writers.
(c) With a co-writer.
(d) With a ghost writer.
5. What does a strong government assure against?
(a) Poverty, but not civil war or treason.
(b) Civil war, poverty, and treason.
(c) Civil war and poverty.
(d) Civil war, but not poverty.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many ancient tyrannies does Paine think comprise the English Constitution?
2. What did the lack of monarchy result in for Britain before the kings?
3. What did Gideon deny?
4. Why does Paine state that America took up arms against England?
5. What grows along with a society?
This section contains 307 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)