|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Introduction and Appendix.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What tactic will the king use to gain favor in the long run if he cannot rule through force in the short run?
2. In the Introduction, what does Paine state about the thoughts of the book?
(a) They may have been popular at an earlier date.
(b) They are popular for all of the country.
(c) They are popular for half of the country.
(d) They may not be popular.
3. Why does Paine state that America took up arms against England?
(a) England forced the hand of America.
(b) Other countries forced the hand of America.
(c) America had become more prosperous than England.
(d) America had become more prosperous than almost all other countries.
4. According to Paine, what is the difference between society and government?
(a) Positivism versus negativism.
(b) Right versus wrong.
(c) East versus West.
(d) North versus South.
5. What does a strong government assure against?
(a) Civil war, poverty, and treason.
(b) Poverty, but not civil war or treason.
(c) Civil war and poverty.
(d) Civil war, but not poverty.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Paine believe should never separate the elected from the electors?
2. How many ancient tyrannies does Paine think comprise the English Constitution?
3. From where was English rule founded?
4. What does Paine believe will happen with time?
5. What does Paine believe would end government through hereditary?
This section contains 290 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)