|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Rights of Man, Part II.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the Rights of Man considered?
(a) A treatise.
(b) An essay.
(c) A novel.
(d) A speech.
2. What does Paine wish America could have used against the British?
(a) The harshness of winter.
(b) The element of surprise.
(c) The heat of summer.
(d) The use of inside information.
3. What does Burke continue to perpetuate with his actions?
(a) Animosity between the nations.
(b) England's decreased status in the world.
(c) France's decreased status in the world.
(d) A false sense of security for the nations.
4. What should the main purpose of a Constitution be?
(a) To create and maintain the happiness of its citizens.
(b) To create and maintain the happiness of its government.
(c) To provide for people who are unwilling or unable to provide for themselves.
(d) To provide for other countries who are unwilling or unable to provide for themselves.
5. What does Paine use examples from scripture to explain?
(a) How, why, and when kings became prominent.
(b) How and why kings became prominent.
(c) How, but not why kings became prominent.
(d) Why, but not how or when kings became prominent.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Paine, what is Burke incapable of understanding about the way government works?
2. What tactic will the king use to gain favor in the long run if he cannot rule through force in the short run?
3. What does Paine compare to the limited freedom of people by the government?
4. What concerns Paine about how Burke's pamphlet is published?
5. Which proverb does Paine refer to when commenting on the acts of Howe and Burgoyne?
This section contains 320 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)