|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Rights of Man, Part II.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In his letter to Howe, what comparison does Paine make about arguing with a man who has no use for authority?
(a) Talking to the dead.
(b) Giving medicine to the dead.
(c) Reasoning with a wall.
(d) Talking to a wall.
2. What does Paine surmise Burke's view of government entails?
(a) People should only control some forms of government.
(b) People should be controlled by government.
(c) Government should only control some people.
(d) Government should be controlled by the people.
3. Why does Paine state that America took up arms against England?
(a) America had become more prosperous than almost all other countries.
(b) England forced the hand of America.
(c) America had become more prosperous than England.
(d) Other countries forced the hand of America.
4. Besides the length, what is the reason Paine wanted to separate the sections of the Rights of Man?
(a) It was easier to release two sections on a limited budget.
(b) He did not want Burke to be able to refute the second section.
(c) It was easier for the people of the world to understand the smaller sections.
(d) He wanted Burke to be able to refute the first section.
5. How many years does Paine think the aristocracy or monarchy will last after the writing of his pamphlet?
(a) Not more than twenty five years.
(b) Not more than ten years.
(c) Not more than seven years.
(d) Not more than twelve years.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the lack of monarchy result in for Britain before the kings?
2. When does Paine wish the Revolution had begun?
3. According to the second part of the Rights of Man, when was Combining Principals and Practice written?
4. According to Paine, what does Burke lack?
5. How does Paine describe Burke's analysis of France?
This section contains 338 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)