|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Alice McGoff working for, at the start of Chapter 19?
2. What stores rented the commercial space in the Methunion Manor building, according to Chapter 21?
3. Why was Billy McGoff's class trip canceled at the beginning of the senior year?
4. What did Joan Diver become actively involved with, in Chapter 18?
5. What community did the Archdiocese support prior to Medeiros's arrival?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the invisible line, as discussed in Chapter 25?
2. Who was Cardinal Cushing, according to Chapter 20?
3. What happened at the newspaper company building on October 7, 1974, in Chapter 24?
4. Where was Alice McGoff working, at the start of Chapter 19?
5. What did Rachel institute?
6. What was published on the front page of the newspaper on October 9, 1975?
7. What did Alice do to avoid busing, in Chapter 15?
8. What was Lisa McGoff having nightmares of, in Chapter 26?
9. What difference was there between Alice and her family and friends?
10. What statement did the Cardinal make that caused an uproar?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Boston Globe was attacked two times and soon after, published a story about the rape of a Caucasian girl by five African American youths. Students should examine the impact of the Boston Globe on the local community and how the Boston Globe changed as a result of the attacks. Use the text and secondary sources to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 2
Boycotts and sit-ins over the busing situation put students' educations in jeopardy. Discuss the benefits and drawbacks of the boycotting and how the situation was resolved. Use the text and secondary sources to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 3
The book Common Ground focuses on the common threads of American families living in the area of Boston during the time following the Martin Luther King, Jr. assassination. Examine the title of the book and discuss its purpose, relevance, and significance. Use the text to support your discussion.
This section contains 703 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)