|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to the applicants requesting commercial space at the Methunion Manor?
2. What happened in Boston in 1976?
3. What did Danny join against his mother's will?
4. What project was Billy McGoff active in, according to Chapter 17?
5. What happened on October 7, 1974, at the Boston Globe, according to Chapter 24?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did parents of Bancroft students do together?
2. What was published on the front page of the newspaper on October 9, 1975?
3. What did Alice do to avoid busing, in Chapter 15?
4. What did Rachel's church start, in Chapter 21, and who pressured Methunion?
5. What happened by the end of the year, according to Chapter 17?
6. What was Joan Diver's son assigned to, in Chapter 18?
7. What happened with the trip to Boston, in Chapter 17?
8. Who received the Democratic Presidential nomination, according to Chapter 28?
9. What did Rachel institute?
10. What happened to Rachel's sons, Richard and George, as well as her daughter Rachel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Louise Day Hicks was well known for her dealings with school segregation and even claimed that Boston schools were not segregated. Discuss who Louise Day Hicks was and her involvement in the Boston School Committee. Examine popular opinion of Louise Day Hicks during the 1960s and conclude whether people's opinions of her were true. Use the text and secondary sources to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the draft for the Vietnam War and how it affected Colin Diver in Common Ground. Students should focus on how men avoided the draft and thoughts of the public on the Vietnam War. Use the text to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 3
McGovern offered the vice-presidential nomination to Mayor White and then retracted his offer. Students should examine the reasons for McGovern retracting his offer, as well as the effects of this issue. Use the text to support your discussion.
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)