|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of school did Rachel Twymon keep her children from attending?
2. What was Colin Diver not sure he wanted to do after finishing his studies, according to Chapter 1?
3. What does Chapter 13 say about Colin's expectations of what government could and couldn't do in the area of social justice?
4. Who or what did Bernie Kirk, Alice's father, not support despite of roots in his district?
5. Whom does Chapter 4 say was with Colin Diver when he listened to Mayor's White speech?
Short Essay Questions
1. When did Rachel first meet King?
2. Where were conditions worse for Rachel Twymon's children?
3. What did Hiran do to his name?
4. Who was the Jenkins family, according to Chapter 5?
5. How did the Boston School Committee react to a case study?
6. Who lived at the Bunker Hill housing project, according to Chapter 3?
7. What happened to Rachel?
8. What did Rachel Twymon become involved in, according to Chapter 8?
9. What does Chapter 1 say Colin Diver was affected by?
10. Who was Danny McGoff?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare the families discussed in Common Ground and discuss the issues each family experienced during the 1960s. Use the text and secondary sources to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 2
Rachel became involved in her church, including the founding of Methunion Manor, the Black Economic Development Program, and even proposed a shopping center for African American owned businesses. Students should discuss the difficulties with Methunion Manor and the shopping center, as well as examine what solutions were proposed to overcome the problems. Use the text and secondary sources to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the draft for the Vietnam War and how it affected Colin Diver in Common Ground. Students should focus on how men avoided the draft and thoughts of the public on the Vietnam War. Use the text to support your discussion.
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)