|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Chapter 13 say about Colin's ambition?
2. What does Chapter 5 say the Jenkins family had been?
3. Who was informed of the assassination of Martin Luther King at the start of Chapter 4?
4. Why did Alice McGoff lose her income?
5. What did Louise Day Hicks claim about the Boston schools?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Dr. John McKechnie, according to Chapter 7?
2. Where were conditions worse for Rachel Twymon's children?
3. What happened to Rachel Twymon, in Chapter 2?
4. What does Chapter 9 of Common Ground begin with, and why is Louise Day Hicks significant?
5. Who was informed of the King assassination, at the start of Chapter 4?
6. Who was the Jenkins family, according to Chapter 5?
7. What formed in Charlestown during Alice McGoff's childhood, in Chapter 10?
8. When did Rachel first meet King?
9. How did the Boston School Committee react to a case study?
10. Who did Ralph Hoaglund, founder of CVS, and others work for?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
South End underwent urban revitalization and was considered desirable for young professionals, but later became more dangerous with higher crime. Students should examine the changes that the South End area underwent and how these changes were viewed.
Essay Topic 2
The Boston Globe was attacked two times and soon after, published a story about the rape of a Caucasian girl by five African American youths. Students should examine the impact of the Boston Globe on the local community and how the Boston Globe changed as a result of the attacks. Use the text and secondary sources to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 3
Boycotts and sit-ins over the busing situation put students' educations in jeopardy. Discuss the benefits and drawbacks of the boycotting and how the situation was resolved. Use the text and secondary sources to support your discussion.
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)