Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Chapter 11 say the South End once was?
2. What position did Colin formulate after taking on more responsibilities at the Boston City Hall?
3. When did Owen Kirk move to Roodstown, according to Chapter 6?
4. What gang was Alice McGoff's son Danny a part of?
5. What area did Colin live in?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Colin Diver, according to Chapter 1 of Common Ground?
2. What projects did Colin work on, in Chapter 13, and how did Colin compare himself with the Boston mayor?
3. Where was Alice McGoff working, at the start of Chapter 19?
4. Who was informed of the King assassination, at the start of Chapter 4?
5. What was the decision released on June 21, 1974?
6. Why were people buying property in the South End area?
7. What was Joan Diver's son assigned to, in Chapter 18?
8. What difference was there between Alice and her family and friends?
9. What formed in Charlestown during Alice McGoff's childhood, in Chapter 10?
10. What was published on the front page of the newspaper on October 9, 1975?
Essay Topic 1
Lukas emphasizes the genealogy of the families he covers in Common Ground. Students should discuss the importance of genealogy in Common Ground and why Lukas thought it was significant or influential on the individuals and families. Use the text and secondary sources to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 2
The Boston School Committee rejected the report that showed there was a racial imbalance in the Boston schools. Discuss what the state study showed, the reasons behind segregation, and examine de facto segregation. Use the text and secondary sources to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the draft for the Vietnam War and how it affected Colin Diver in Common Ground. Students should focus on how men avoided the draft and thoughts of the public on the Vietnam War. Use the text to support your discussion.
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)