|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What position was Louise Day Hicks elected to in the spring of 1961?
2. What extra curricular activity did Colin Diver do that Chapter 1 says opened the door to the best jobs?
3. What did Colin and his wife want to do in the South End, according to Chapter 11?
4. What did Colin notice while driving the South End ?
5. Why was Heywood Twymon jailed several times?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to Rachel?
2. When did Rachel first meet King?
3. Who was Danny McGoff?
4. What did Hiran do to his name?
5. In Chapter 14, what judge was assigned to the civil rights case, Morgan v Hennigan?
6. Why were people buying property in the South End area?
7. What formed in Charlestown during Alice McGoff's childhood, in Chapter 10?
8. How did the Boston School Committee react to a case study?
9. Who lived at the Bunker Hill housing project, according to Chapter 3?
10. Which of Alice McGoff's family members immigrated to Boston, returned to Ireland, and then went back to Boston?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The book Common Ground focuses on the common threads of American families living in the area of Boston during the time following the Martin Luther King, Jr. assassination. Examine the title of the book and discuss its purpose, relevance, and significance. Use the text to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 2
Compare the families discussed in Common Ground and discuss the issues each family experienced during the 1960s. Use the text and secondary sources to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the draft for the Vietnam War and how it affected Colin Diver in Common Ground. Students should focus on how men avoided the draft and thoughts of the public on the Vietnam War. Use the text to support your discussion.
This section contains 721 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)