|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Colin learn about the Boston mayor's ambitions?
2. Whom did the Jenkins family migrate to Nova Scotia with?
3. Where was Ben Diver originally from, according to Chapter 7?
4. Where did Alice McGoff work according to Chapter 3?
5. What extra curricular activity did Colin Diver do that Chapter 1 says opened the door to the best jobs?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Bernie Kirk feel about the Kennedy family?
2. What did Rachel Twymon do in August 1967, according to Chapter 12?
3. What was the decision released on June 21, 1974?
4. Where were conditions worse for Rachel Twymon's children?
5. What did Rachel Twymon become involved in, according to Chapter 8?
6. Which of Alice McGoff's family members immigrated to Boston, returned to Ireland, and then went back to Boston?
7. What happened to Rachel?
8. What happened to Rachel Twymon, in Chapter 2?
9. Who was informed of the King assassination, at the start of Chapter 4?
10. How did the Boston School Committee react to a case study?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lukas emphasizes the genealogy of the families he covers in Common Ground. Students should discuss the importance of genealogy in Common Ground and why Lukas thought it was significant or influential on the individuals and families. Use the text and secondary sources to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 2
Boycotts and sit-ins over the busing situation put students' educations in jeopardy. Discuss the benefits and drawbacks of the boycotting and how the situation was resolved. Use the text and secondary sources to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 3
Alice McGoff worked as an operator at the New England Telephone Company, but participated in demonstrations in front of Mercer's home, the company's president,. Examine why Alice McGoff protested outside his home and also why she refused to donate to the organization for which he sat as a board chair. Use the text to support your discussion
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)