|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Chapter 11 say the South End once was?
2. What position did Colin formulate after taking on more responsibilities at the Boston City Hall?
3. When did Owen Kirk move to Roodstown, according to Chapter 6?
4. What gang was Alice McGoff's son Danny a part of?
5. What area did Colin live in?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Colin Diver, according to Chapter 1 of Common Ground?
2. What projects did Colin work on, in Chapter 13, and how did Colin compare himself with the Boston mayor?
3. Where was Alice McGoff working, at the start of Chapter 19?
4. Who was informed of the King assassination, at the start of Chapter 4?
5. What was the decision released on June 21, 1974?
6. Why were people buying property in the South End area?
7. What was Joan Diver's son assigned to, in Chapter 18?
8. What difference was there between Alice and her family and friends?
9. What formed in Charlestown during Alice McGoff's childhood, in Chapter 10?
10. What was published on the front page of the newspaper on October 9, 1975?
Essay Topic 1
Compare the families discussed in Common Ground and discuss the issues each family experienced during the 1960s. Use the text and secondary sources to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 2
South End underwent urban revitalization and was considered desirable for young professionals, but later became more dangerous with higher crime. Students should examine the changes that the South End area underwent and how these changes were viewed.
Essay Topic 3
Boycotts and sit-ins over the busing situation put students' educations in jeopardy. Discuss the benefits and drawbacks of the boycotting and how the situation was resolved. Use the text and secondary sources to support your discussion.
This section contains 1,576 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)