|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What event does Chapter 1 say affected Diver?
2. What does Chapter 13 say about Colin's ambition?
3. What does Chapter 12 say about Colin and the Boston mayor?
4. What does Chapter 5 say about Quinnie having many of?
5. What organization worked to raise money and improve the condition in the African-American community in Boston?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to Rachel Twymon, in Chapter 2?
2. What formed in Charlestown during Alice McGoff's childhood, in Chapter 10?
3. Where does Alice McGoff's family come from, according to Chapter 6?
4. In Chapter 14, what judge was assigned to the civil rights case, Morgan v Hennigan?
5. Why were people buying property in the South End area?
6. What was the decision released on June 21, 1974?
7. Who did Ralph Hoaglund, founder of CVS, and others work for?
8. When did Rachel first meet King?
9. Who lived at the Bunker Hill housing project, according to Chapter 3?
10. Where were conditions worse for Rachel Twymon's children?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
McGovern offered the vice-presidential nomination to Mayor White and then retracted his offer. Students should examine the reasons for McGovern retracting his offer, as well as the effects of this issue. Use the text to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 2
The Epilogue reveals the status of the people and families in the book after the book ended. Students should compare a family with how they were in the book with events that occurred after and examine how the situation of busing played a role in their life. Use the text to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 3
South End underwent urban revitalization and was considered desirable for young professionals, but later became more dangerous with higher crime. Students should examine the changes that the South End area underwent and how these changes were viewed.
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)