|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Ben Diver originally from, according to Chapter 7?
2. How many children did Alice McGoff have?
3. When did Fanny Walker relocate to Boston?
4. What performance did Rachel Twymon attend, at the start of Chapter 12?
5. Who was Joseph McKechnie?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 14, what judge was assigned to the civil rights case, Morgan v Hennigan?
2. Where does Alice McGoff's family come from, according to Chapter 6?
3. Why was Colin impressed with South End in Chapter 11?
4. Who was the Jenkins family, according to Chapter 5?
5. What did Rachel Twymon become involved in, according to Chapter 8?
6. What happened to Rachel?
7. Why were people buying property in the South End area?
8. Who lived at the Bunker Hill housing project, according to Chapter 3?
9. What does Chapter 1 say Colin Diver was affected by?
10. Who did Ralph Hoaglund, founder of CVS, and others work for?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Judge Garrity made the decision about the Morgan versus Hennigan case. Students should examine the case, the hearings, his decision, as well as the program formulated to deal with the segregation. Use the text to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 2
Lukas focuses on the politics of the time, particularly in regards to the Kennedy family, who were extremely influential in Boston. Students should examine the influence that the Kennedy family had on Boston at the time and discuss the significance of Lukas's decision to include this in Common Ground. Use the text to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 3
The Boston Globe was attacked two times and soon after, published a story about the rape of a Caucasian girl by five African American youths. Students should examine the impact of the Boston Globe on the local community and how the Boston Globe changed as a result of the attacks. Use the text and secondary sources to support your discussion.
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)