|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Chapter 11 say the South End once was?
2. What position did Colin formulate after taking on more responsibilities at the Boston City Hall?
3. When did Owen Kirk move to Roodstown, according to Chapter 6?
4. What gang was Alice McGoff's son Danny a part of?
5. What area did Colin live in?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Colin Diver, according to Chapter 1 of Common Ground?
2. What projects did Colin work on, in Chapter 13, and how did Colin compare himself with the Boston mayor?
3. Where was Alice McGoff working, at the start of Chapter 19?
4. Who was informed of the King assassination, at the start of Chapter 4?
5. What was the decision released on June 21, 1974?
6. Why were people buying property in the South End area?
7. What was Joan Diver's son assigned to, in Chapter 18?
8. What difference was there between Alice and her family and friends?
9. What formed in Charlestown during Alice McGoff's childhood, in Chapter 10?
10. What was published on the front page of the newspaper on October 9, 1975?
Essay Topic 1
Students should examine how the riots after the Martin Luther King, Jr. assassination were handled and discuss why the mayor's office decided to put it in the hands of African American leaders, examining the benefits and drawbacks of the decision. Use the text and secondary sources to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 2
Alice McGoff worked as an operator at the New England Telephone Company, but participated in demonstrations in front of Mercer's home, the company's president,. Examine why Alice McGoff protested outside his home and also why she refused to donate to the organization for which he sat as a board chair. Use the text to support your discussion
Essay Topic 3
Rachel became involved in her church, including the founding of Methunion Manor, the Black Economic Development Program, and even proposed a shopping center for African American owned businesses. Students should discuss the difficulties with Methunion Manor and the shopping center, as well as examine what solutions were proposed to overcome the problems. Use the text and secondary sources to support your discussion.
This section contains 1,576 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)