|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Arthur Garrity become a judge?
2. What gang was Alice McGoff's son Danny a part of?
3. When did Charles McKechnie die?
4. What school did Rachel Twymon send her younger children to?
5. What did Colin notice while driving the South End ?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Rachel help found after moving to Methunion Manor?
2. What did Colin do after he left his position at the mayor's office?
3. What happened to Rachel?
4. When did Rachel first meet King?
5. Which of Alice McGoff's family members immigrated to Boston, returned to Ireland, and then went back to Boston?
6. What happened to Rachel Twymon, in Chapter 2?
7. In Chapter 14, what judge was assigned to the civil rights case, Morgan v Hennigan?
8. What projects did Colin work on, in Chapter 13, and how did Colin compare himself with the Boston mayor?
9. What does Chapter 9 of Common Ground begin with, and why is Louise Day Hicks significant?
10. What did Bernie Kirk feel about the Kennedy family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Cardinal of the Archdiocese of Boston had an influence on the local community, but even the Cardinal feared for his safety. Students should discuss Cardinal Cushing's involvement in the Kiernan Commission, as well as focus on his replacement, discussing the similarities and differences between the two Cardinals. Use the text and secondary sources to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 2
The Epilogue reveals the status of the people and families in the book after the book ended. Students should compare a family with how they were in the book with events that occurred after and examine how the situation of busing played a role in their life. Use the text to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 3
McGovern offered the vice-presidential nomination to Mayor White and then retracted his offer. Students should examine the reasons for McGovern retracting his offer, as well as the effects of this issue. Use the text to support your discussion.
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)