|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What would be built at the place where the Americans landed?
2. What did Perry decide as far as Shimoda and Hakodate was concerned?
3. What was one thing the Americans did that amazed the Japanese?
4. With what were the Americans who accepted the invitation impressed about the Japanese?
5. What will the U.S. get compared to other nations in the future?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Hokkaido like and how did the first contact with them go for the Americans?
2. Where did Commodore Perry decide to visit?
3. How did the two cultures meet face to face and what did the people of the two countries think of the other?
4. Describe the exchange between Perry and the Japanese about shipwrecked sailors.
5. What was the Commodore's first impression of Shimoda.
6. What sort of gifts did the Americans give the higher ranked Japanese?
7. What were some of the impacts of the treaty signing between the Americans and the Japanese?
8. What did the Japanese do after the treaty and what impressed the Americans about the Japanese?
9. What were some of the squadron members permitted to do?
10. What horrified the Japanese about the Americans at the banquet, but how did the Japanese behave anyway?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Industrial Revolution is mentioned a number of times in the novel Commodore Perry in the Land of the Shogun. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast the level of technology present in Japan to the level present in the United States in the mid-1800s.
2. Research and discuss the technological inventions that amazed the Japanese people: These include the steam engine, telegraph, camera, telescope, rifles and folding ladder. When was each invented? How different was the invention then compared to a similar thing today? Are any of the "new" inventions from that time no longer in use now? Which ones? Why are they no longer in use?
3. The Shogunate deliberately kept Japan from becoming industrialized through keeping Japan isolated. Discuss why you think the Shogunate made this decision.
Essay Topic 2
Many technologically advanced cultures then as now often view those who were more agrarian or less technologically advanced as inferior. Discuss the following:
1. Discuss why you think technologically advanced cultures often believe they are superior to agrarian or less technologically advanced cultures. Include Japan and the United States from the perspective of what you have read in Commodore Perry in the Land of the Shogun.
2. Do you believe technologically advanced cultures are superior to agrarian or less technologically advanced cultures? Defend your view.
3. Research the topic of how technology has sometimes changed people's life for the worse and write an informative essay on the subject.
Essay Topic 3
Many authors if queried would admit that they have an agenda for writing a particular novel. Discuss the following:
1. Define and give examples of the concept of "author agenda."
2. Do you think Blumbeg has an agenda in mind when she writes Commodore Perry in the Land of the Shogun?
3. What do you think would be Blumberg's agenda(s) (if she has one)? Give examples to illustrate how the agenda is fulfilled.
4. Do you think writers who have an agenda for writing should point it out in a preface?
5. How often do you think fiction is written with a clear agenda in mind by the author?
This section contains 1,191 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)