|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who entertained the Commodore and his staff on the tour?
(a) The owner of the factory.
(b) One of the mayors.
(c) A Buddhist monk.
(d) The captain of the ship.
2. What was one major accomplishment by Emperor Meiji?
(a) Putting in place a fishing rights treaty.
(b) Winning the right to travel make decisions about Japan.
(c) Winning the right for Japan to have consuls in other countries.
(d) Bringing the Japanese out of feudalism.
3. Who finally came to one of the parties between the Japanese and Americans?
(a) The head Samurai.
(b) The Shogun.
(d) The Emperor.
4. Where were some members of the squadron permitted to walk?
(a) Around Edo.
(b) Around Hakate.
(c) They are not permitted to walk anywhere.
(d) Around Yokohama.
5. When did Commodore Perry arrive at the agreed-upon landing area?
(a) June 2.
(b) March 30.
(c) April 1.
(d) March 1.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the Japanese find odd about the Americans' eating habits?
2. What did Commodore Perry say could start a war?
3. What did the Americans undervalue of the Japanese gifts?
4. Who was Abigail Jernegan?
5. How many ships were in his sailing party this time?
Short Essay Questions
1. What gifts most fascinated the Japanese?
2. Enumerate the major points of the treaty that was signed between the United States and Japan.
3. How did the Americans impress the Japanese as the Americans came ashore?
4. What made Perry decide to sail to Japan despite the Shogun's death?
5. How did the Japanese believe they had saved face, but did they really?
6. When did the Shogun die and why was that of concern to Commodore Perry?
7. Where did Commodore Perry decide to visit?
8. What was the first approach the Japanese took towards the United States request for a treaty?
9. How did the behaviors of the Shimoda villagers change and what was the result?
10. What were some of the squadron members permitted to do?
This section contains 831 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)