|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did the Japanese want the Americans to land?
(a) Somewhere where the Japanese would feel safe.
(b) At the western end of Edo Harbor wharf.
(c) At the far end of Nagasaki harbor.
(d) They did not want them to land at all.
2. What did the Japanese say they would give to the American ships?
(a) Coal, wood, water and other supplies.
(b) A tour of Edo before the Americans left.
(c) A reasonable time to leave Japanese waters.
(d) They would give them nothing.
3. Who came to say goodbye Commodore Perry?
(a) The Japanese interpreters.
(b) The Shogun.
(c) The head of the Buddhist church.
(d) The Emperor.
4. What language could Yenosuke speak fluently?
5. What did Commodore Perry's arrival initiate?
(a) A war between Shoguns.
(b) A shutdown of the entire wharf area of Nagasaki.
(c) A shutdown of the entire wharf area of Edo.
(d) Weeks of negotiations.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what did the Japanese invite the Americans after the treaty signing?
2. When was the latest ratification that take place of the treaty?
3. What did the Americans do that really impressed the Japanese?
4. What was another reason Perry was happy with the treaty?
5. How did the people of Shimoda respond to Perry's arrival?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Hokkaido like and how did the first contact with them go for the Americans?
2. What did Commodore Perry say to the Japanese about wanting a treaty and the consequences of not getting one?
3. What made Perry decide to sail to Japan despite the Shogun's death?
4. How did the villagers of Shimoda behave at first?
5. What gifts most fascinated the Japanese?
6. Who was Sam Patch and why was he terrified? What happened?
7. Describe the exchange between Perry and the Japanese about shipwrecked sailors.
8. How did the Americans impress the Japanese as the Americans came ashore?
9. What horrified the Japanese about the Americans at the banquet, but how did the Japanese behave anyway?
10. Where did the Commodore and staff go and what bothered the Commodore about the women there?
This section contains 860 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)