|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did the Japanese want the Americans to land?
(a) At the far end of Nagasaki harbor.
(b) Somewhere where the Japanese would feel safe.
(c) At the western end of Edo Harbor wharf.
(d) They did not want them to land at all.
2. Who arrived in Japan 15 days after Commodore Perry left?
(a) A native American Indian.
(b) An American senator from Pennsylvania.
(c) The first American tourists.
(d) An American senator from California.
3. How did the Japanese negotiators think they saved face?
(a) By allowing only 2 ships and 2 consuls into Edo.
(b) By not allowing ships or consuls into Edo.
(c) By making the Americans land at a deserted area of Japan.
(d) By not letting Commodore Perry met the Emperor.
4. What did Perry decide as far as Shimoda and Hakodate was concerned?
(a) To establish consuls there and work his way inland.
(b) He had no plans as of yet.
(c) To visit them.
(d) To let half his ships go one place and half to the other.
5. How many Japanese commissioners met Commodore Perry and his group?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one thing the treaty called for?
2. What did the Japanese say about shipwrecked American sailors?
3. Who returned to negotiate with Commodore Perry?
4. What did the Japanese promise about American ships wrecked off Japan's coast?
5. When did Commodore Perry arrive at the agreed-upon landing area?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the Americans impress the Japanese as the Americans came ashore?
2. What was the Commodore's first impression of Shimoda.
3. On April 10th, 1854, where did the Commodore take one of his ships and what was the result?
4. Where did Commodore Perry decide to visit?
5. When was the Treaty House completed and what did Commodore Perry demand that they change?
6. What were some of the impacts of the treaty signing between the Americans and the Japanese?
7. What did Commodore Perry say to the Japanese about wanting a treaty and the consequences of not getting one?
8. How did the Japanese believe they had saved face, but did they really?
9. What horrified the Japanese about the Americans at the banquet, but how did the Japanese behave anyway?
10. What did Perry's arrival precipitate?
This section contains 953 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)