|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did the Japanese negotiators think they saved face?
(a) By not letting Commodore Perry met the Emperor.
(b) By allowing only 2 ships and 2 consuls into Edo.
(c) By making the Americans land at a deserted area of Japan.
(d) By not allowing ships or consuls into Edo.
2. What did the Sumo wrestlers do to demonstrate their strength?
(a) Lifted kegs of American whiskey.
(b) Lifted huge bales of rice.
(c) Lifted a ship's anchor.
(d) Cracked huge blocks of stone.
3. Who returned to negotiate with Commodore Perry?
(a) The Emperer.
(b) Shogun Ieyoshi.
(c) Sumarai Koyohito.
4. What did the merchants fail to do after being in Shimoda for three months?
(a) Interest the Japanese in their goods.
(b) Find an interpreter.
(c) Get any Japanese to talk to them.
(d) Establish a trading post.
5. When did the Japanese and Commodore Perry sign a treaty?
(a) April 30.
(b) July 22.
(c) March 31st.
(d) July 9.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the Japanese say about shipwrecked American sailors?
2. Where were some members of the squadron permitted to walk?
3. What did some of the Americans collect?
4. What did the people of Shimoda do for the American sailors?
5. When did Perry arrive back in Japan for his second visit?
Short Essay Questions
1. When did the Shogun die and why was that of concern to Commodore Perry?
2. What was the Commodore's first impression of Shimoda.
3. What were some of the impacts of the treaty signing between the Americans and the Japanese?
4. When was the Treaty House completed and what did Commodore Perry demand that they change?
5. What made Perry decide to sail to Japan despite the Shogun's death?
6. How did the behaviors of the Shimoda villagers change and what was the result?
7. What were some of the squadron members permitted to do?
8. What sort of gifts did the Americans give the higher ranked Japanese?
9. What gifts most fascinated the Japanese?
10. What did Perry's arrival precipitate?
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)