|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is the place where the enormous ships appear described?
(a) A small fishing village.
(b) A mid-sized city.
(c) A large city.
(d) An almost-deserted area where no villages were.
2. What were the Mississippi and Susquehanna?
(a) Two steamboats.
(b) The two merchant vessels who came along with the military vessels.
(c) Two top sailing vessels.
(d) The units deployed with the ships.
3. What was the period in Japan called during the era that Perry arrived?
(a) The Great Peace.
(b) The Sun Peace.
(c) The Great Uprising.
(d) The Great River Ran.
4. Of what does Manjiro assure the Shogun?
(a) That the Americans did not want Japan's land.
(b) That the Americans were less agressive than Europeans.
(c) That Commodore Perry is a high-ranking American.
(d) That the Americans were peaceful.
5. To whom did the Shoguns send a copy of the letter that Commodore Perry brought?
(a) No one; they did not want the contents to be known.
(b) The Dutch traders.
(c) The Governor of each district.
(d) The daimyos.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why couldn't the Americans stay in Edo Bay?
2. How large was the island?
3. What was one of the main missions of Commodore Perry's trip to Japan?
4. How did the Dutch live while maintaining trade status with the Japanese?
5. About how many naval men were aboard the ships?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Nakajima and what does he tell the Americans and what was Perry's response?
2. Who did the Americans awaken to see the next morning and what would they be considered today?
3. What was special about the Englishman, Will Adams?
4. Who were the daimyos?
5. What happened on Friday, July 8th, 1853, at the opening of the book?
6. Describe the scene as the ships steamed into the harbor.
7. What was the Tokugawa period and some of its positive aspects?
8. Describe the two opposing camps to the idea of a treaty with the Americans.
9. What were some of Commodore Perry's accomplishments in addition to convincing the Japanese to receive him?
10. Who held the real power in Japan?
This section contains 918 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)