|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was special about Edo?
(a) It had magicians who could work magic to rid the place of the ships.
(b) It was the largest city in the world at that time.
(c) It had thousands of underground hallways where many people could hide.
(d) It was where the largest army in the world was stationed.
2. What warned people to flee?
(a) The local militia.
(b) The priests of the temple.
(c) Temple bells ringing.
(d) The men who got off the ship.
3. Who were not even counted in the census?
(a) Foreigners who married Japanese.
(b) No one.
(c) Japanese who married foreigners.
4. What was one of the characteristics of this era in question #73?
(a) The arts flourished.
(b) The wars kept the food supplies scant.
(c) The peasants often were able to move into the upper classes.
(d) There was much fighting among the Shogun families.
5. What is the name of knights in Japan?
(d) Defenders of the Emperor.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is the place where the enormous ships appear described?
2. What do many historians think of Manjiro's influence?
3. About what percent of the population were farmers in the mid-nineteenth century in Japan?
4. What do the people wonder that the ships might mysteriously be pushing to shore?
5. In what year does the book open?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the time before this setting when the Japanese were not cut off from the rest of the world.
2. What was Edo's first response to the messengers and why is it amazing?
3. Who were the samurai?
4. What percentage of Japanese were farmers and what was their life like?
5. What was one consequence of the Japanese's isolation for the Japanese?
6. Who is Nakajima and what does he tell the Americans and what was Perry's response?
7. What was special about the Englishman, Will Adams?
8. Describe the two opposing camps to the idea of a treaty with the Americans.
9. What was one consequence of the Japanese's isolation for the Americans?
10. Describe the scene when the Susquehanna and Mississippi landed.
This section contains 927 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)