|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the rulers deliberately preserve in Japan?
(b) The right of the Emperor to mandate laws.
(c) Individual freedoms.
(d) An open policy towards foreigners.
2. What warned people to flee?
(a) The priests of the temple.
(b) Temple bells ringing.
(c) The men who got off the ship.
(d) The local militia.
3. Why is Shogun Ieyoshi depressed?
(a) Because he is dying.
(b) Because his son has just died.
(c) Because he had been ignored.
(d) Because his wife has just died.
4. Who was a mere puppet?
(a) The Emperor.
(b) The most powerful Shogun.
(c) The Head of the Council.
5. About how many samurai were there in Japan when Perry arrived?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of knights in Japan?
2. What was the smaller of the two swords that a samurai carried used for?
3. What was one of the characteristics of this era in question #73?
4. What were the Japanese "war correspondents" doing the next morning?
5. When did the Portuguese arrive?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who were the lower classes in the cities and what was one advantage to their class?
2. Who is Nakajima and what does he tell the Americans and what was Perry's response?
3. Who did the Americans awaken to see the next morning and what would they be considered today?
4. Who were the daimyos?
5. What did the Japanese try to do and what did Commodore Perry order his men to do and why?
6. What was one consequence of the Japanese's isolation for the Japanese?
7. What was Edo's first response to the messengers and why is it amazing?
8. Discuss the lead Shogun at the time of Commodore Perry's arrival.
9. What were some of Commodore Perry's accomplishments in addition to convincing the Japanese to receive him?
10. What was one consequence of the Japanese's isolation for the Americans?
This section contains 803 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)