|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Commodore Perry have for the Emperor from President Fillmore?
(a) A chest of gold.
(b) A letter.
(c) A stallion.
(d) A chest of rifles.
2. What was the meeting with the Shogun like for the Dutch?
3. Who was Komei?
(a) The Shogun to the Emperor.
(b) The head priest.
(c) The head of the Emperor's council.
(d) The Emperor.
4. Who in the time that Perry arrived were considered unproductive?
5. When did the Shogun end relations with the Spanish and Portuguese?
(b) When they were at war with England.
(c) When Commodore Perry arrived.
(d) About ten years after they arrived.
6. What was the impression of Japan by most of the Americans?
(a) They were bloodthirsty.
(b) They were a cultured, civilized nation.
(c) They were unreasonable.
(d) They were barbarians.
7. What is the name of knights in Japan?
(a) Defenders of the Emperor.
8. Under what conditions could the Dutch and English trade with the Japanese after the death of Shogun Ieyasu?
(a) Under no conditions.
(b) As long as they did not proselytize.
(c) As long as the products was nothing the Japanese produced.
(d) As long as the Emperor received 50 percent of the profits.
9. With what are the Americans impressed?
(a) The beauty of the city from the harbor.
(b) The numbers of their army.
(c) How kind the Japanese people are.
(d) The strict protocol they followed.
10. How long did it take the Dutch to travel to see the head Shogun in Edo?
(a) A week each way.
(b) A month each way.
(c) Several days each way.
(d) Two weeks each way.
11. What was forbidden to the farmers?
(b) Always staying on their land.
(c) Saki and smoking.
12. What Shoguns ruled Japan when Perry arrived?
(a) The Yoshinaki Shoguns.
(b) The Tokugawa Shoguns.
(c) The Kamakura Shoguns.
(d) The Ieyasu Shoguns.
13. About how many naval men were aboard the ships?
14. What did the Japanese do with the first Englishman to arrive?
(a) They put him in prison for the rest of his life.
(b) They sent him away.
(c) Eventually they killed him.
(d) Made him advisor and a samurai.
15. Who comprised the lower class in the cities?
(a) Artisans and merchants and craftsmen.
(b) The house servants.
(c) The untouchables.
(d) The priests.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Commodore Perry pretend to be?
2. What could the samurai do to commoners for disrespect?
3. Why did the Dutch submit to such control by the Japanese?
4. What were the Dutch and formerly Christian Japanese forced to do?
5. What is illegal for the Emperor to do without permission of the government?
This section contains 502 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)