|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did the English stop trading in 1623?
(a) It was no longer profitable.
(b) They were forced to after a Christian symbol was found on one of their traders.
(c) The King of England declared it illegal to trade with Japan.
(d) They had to get back home because of war.
2. How many families could live there at a time?
3. What is the name of knights in Japan?
(b) Defenders of the Emperor.
4. Who were not even counted in the census?
(a) No one.
(b) Japanese who married foreigners.
(c) Foreigners who married Japanese.
5. When did the Portuguese arrive?
6. To whom did the Shoguns send a copy of the letter that Commodore Perry brought?
(a) The daimyos.
(b) No one; they did not want the contents to be known.
(c) The Dutch traders.
(d) The Governor of each district.
7. What stunned the Japanese about the sailors?
(a) Some were black.
(b) How many there were.
(c) Some were women.
(d) Some were Chinese.
8. Who was a mere puppet?
(b) The most powerful Shogun.
(c) The Head of the Council.
(d) The Emperor.
9. Who was the first Englishman to arrive in Japan?
(a) Francis Drake.
(b) John Jakes.
(c) Will Adams.
(d) William Johnson.
10. What do the people wonder that the ships might mysteriously be pushing to shore?
(a) Active volcanoes.
(b) A huge oven of fire.
(c) A raging dragon.
11. What did Commodore Perry not know about the Emperor?
(a) He was a young boy.
(b) He was dead.
(c) He was basically a figurehead.
(d) He hated Westerners.
12. What was the meeting with the Shogun like for the Dutch?
13. Why couldn't the Japanese surround the ships?
(a) They didn't have any war ships of their own.
(b) They could not outrun the ships.
(c) They did not have enough manpower.
(d) They didn't want to surround the burning ships and catch their ships on fire.
14. What do many historians think of Manjiro's influence?
(a) He is not mentioned.
(c) That Manjiro was too close to the situation to effect change.
(d) That it kept Japan isolated for a lot longer than necessary.
15. About what time did the American ships finally anchor in Edo Bay?
(a) About 5 am the next day.
(b) 7 pm.
(c) 5 pm.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Commodore Perry still not understand even after help from the Dutch?
2. Who in the time that Perry arrived were considered unproductive?
3. What did the Japanese have no knowledge of?
4. How many troops were quickly rallied?
5. What warned people to flee?
This section contains 465 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)