|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 13-16, The Treaty, Excursions on Land and Sea, Shore Leave, In the Wake of the Black Ships, Afterword.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the smaller of the two swords that a samurai carried used for?
(a) Eating and cutting.
(b) To display their rank.
(d) Ritual suicide.
2. Why did Perry's ships avoid getting too close to Edo?
(a) They would have gotten stuck on the river's sand.
(b) They didn't want the people of Edo to see the smoking ships.
(c) The interpreters and negotiators would be be pressured to commit suicide.
(d) They were forbidden to do so.
3. When did the Shogun end relations with the Spanish and Portuguese?
(b) When Commodore Perry arrived.
(c) When they were at war with England.
(d) About ten years after they arrived.
4. What are two exports the United States is hoping to gain from Japan?
(a) Whale oil and jade.
(b) Coal and whale oil.
(c) Fish and coal.
(d) Fish and jade.
5. How many Japanese commissioners met Commodore Perry and his group?
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom did the Shoguns send a copy of the letter that Commodore Perry brought?
2. What were the rumors about devils with white faces?
3. What happened to the samurai class?
4. What was surprising about the Japanese behavior?
5. Why couldn't the Japanese surround the ships?
This section contains 335 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)