|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 13-16, The Treaty, Excursions on Land and Sea, Shore Leave, In the Wake of the Black Ships, Afterword.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was one major accomplishment by Emperor Meiji?
(a) Winning the right to travel make decisions about Japan.
(b) Winning the right for Japan to have consuls in other countries.
(c) Putting in place a fishing rights treaty.
(d) Bringing the Japanese out of feudalism.
2. To whom did the Shoguns send a copy of the letter that Commodore Perry brought?
(a) The Dutch traders.
(b) The Governor of each district.
(c) No one; they did not want the contents to be known.
(d) The daimyos.
3. When did the Shogun end relations with the Spanish and Portuguese?
(b) About ten years after they arrived.
(c) When they were at war with England.
(d) When Commodore Perry arrived.
4. What did the Japanese do as the Americans passed by?
(a) Raised their right hands.
(d) Made clicking noises with their tongues.
5. When did Spanish Jesuits settle in Japan?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was one thing Perry never did during his visits to Japan?
2. When does the lead shogun learn the news of the arrival of the ships?
3. What was one thing that was excellent about Shimoda?
4. What did the Shogun do?
5. Where could consuls and agents from the United States live?
This section contains 260 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)