|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 9-12, The Black Ships Return, The Treaty House, An Array of Gifts, The Grand Banquet.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Kayama pretending to be?
(a) The Emperor.
(b) The head priest.
(d) The local police chief.
2. About what percent of the population were farmers in the mid-nineteenth century in Japan?
3. What was special about Commodore Perry being received by the Japanese?
(a) They greeted him with a special designation no other white man had received.
(b) They ignored the Japanese laws against such a meeting.
(c) His parents had been missionaries to Japan.
(d) He was the first Western ambassador to be received in over two hundred years.
4. Who is Manjiro?
(a) The Emperor's son.
(b) The head Shogun's samurai bodyguard.
(c) A Japanese who spent time in the United States.
(d) The Emperor's brother.
5. What might the people resist upon Perry's next return?
(a) Trading with the Americans.
(b) Showing them their best goods rather than trading their best only with the Dutch.
(c) The Shogun's against their talking to the "white devils."
(d) Receiving foreigners.
Short Answer Questions
1. What warned people to flee?
2. How large was the island?
3. What was the Emperor required to study?
4. What are two exports the United States is hoping to gain from Japan?
5. How did the Army of Japan look?
This section contains 249 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)