|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 5-8, The Dutch Island Prison, Foreigners Forbidden, The Great Peace, Clouds Over the Land of the Rising Sun.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did the Japanese slowly become after the English quit trading?
(a) More open to foreign trade.
(b) More tolerant of other religions.
(c) Extreme isolationist.
(d) More set in their own religion.
2. What did Commodore Perry pretend to be?
(a) A Senator.
(b) No one but himself.
(c) A scientist.
(d) An Admiral.
3. What did the Shogun do?
(a) Dispensed justice.
(b) Carried out the Emperor's orders.
(c) Not much; it was mainly a ceremonial rank.
(d) Protected the nation.
4. Who were not even counted in the census?
(a) Japanese who married foreigners.
(b) Foreigners who married Japanese.
(d) No one.
5. Why couldn't the Americans stay in Edo Bay?
(a) They were not invited.
(b) They were polluting it.
(c) They were scaring the fish and depriving the city of food.
(d) It was against Japanese law.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was Japan last at war?
2. With what are the Americans impressed?
3. What did Commodore Perry do when the Japanese tried to board?
4. What is illegal for the Emperor to do without permission of the government?
5. Who was a mere puppet?
This section contains 237 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)