|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 5-8, The Dutch Island Prison, Foreigners Forbidden, The Great Peace, Clouds Over the Land of the Rising Sun.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was Nakajima?
(a) An American sailor born in Japan.
(b) The Emperor's First Councilor.
(c) A vice-governor of Uraga.
(d) An interpreter.
2. Why did Ido and Toda say nothing at the meeting with Perry?
(a) It is illegal to speak to foreigners.
(b) They were not authorized to speak for the Emperor.
(c) They did not like Admiral Perry.
(d) They did not know English.
3. When could the Dutch leave the island?
(a) Whenever they wanted to.
(b) Once a year.
(c) During the three great festivals of the year.
(d) Only with special permission.
4. What did many of the daimyos believe?
(a) That the Shoguns would benefit by trade.
(b) That the Emperor should rule in favor of trade.
(c) That the West was inferior and that trade would lead to the victimization of Japan.
(d) That the Americans were inferior to the Europeans.
5. Who were not even counted in the census?
(b) Foreigners who married Japanese.
(c) No one.
(d) Japanese who married foreigners.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Shogun Ieyoshi depressed?
2. What were the Japanese "war correspondents" doing the next morning?
3. What do many historians think of Manjiro's influence?
4. About how many samurai were there in Japan when Perry arrived?
5. When did Spanish Jesuits settle in Japan?
This section contains 265 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)