|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 5-8, The Dutch Island Prison, Foreigners Forbidden, The Great Peace, Clouds Over the Land of the Rising Sun.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Commodore Perry still not understand even after help from the Dutch?
(a) Why the Dutch did not resist the strictly-regulated relations with the Japanese.
(b) Who the Emperor favored.
(c) The cultural and social structure of the Japanese.
(d) Why the other countries gave up on trading with the Japanese.
2. What are the American ships ordered to do?
(a) Wait until the Emperor summoned them.
(b) Go to Nagasaki and use the Dutch as go-betweens.
(c) Pay for the opportunity to see the Emperor.
(d) Return to the United States immediately.
3. Where did messengers go as the ships were landing?
(b) To Mount Fiji to ask the oracle what to do.
4. What were the Dutch and formerly Christian Japanese forced to do?
(a) Give up their property rights.
(b) Live in small, isolated colonies.
(c) Leave Japan.
(d) Stamp on Christian symbols to show they no longer believed.
5. About what percent of the population were farmers in the mid-nineteenth century in Japan?
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the native inhabitants call the two ships?
2. To whom did the Shoguns send a copy of the letter that Commodore Perry brought?
3. What was Kayama pretending to be?
4. Why did the Dutch submit to such control by the Japanese?
5. Why did Ido and Toda say nothing at the meeting with Perry?
This section contains 322 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)