|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 5-8, The Dutch Island Prison, Foreigners Forbidden, The Great Peace, Clouds Over the Land of the Rising Sun.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did four enormous ships appear at the beginning of Chapter 1?
(a) Off the coast of Shimoda.
(b) Near Seoul.
(c) Off the coast of Saipan.
(d) Off the coast of Tokyo.
2. What did many of the daimyos believe?
(a) That the West was inferior and that trade would lead to the victimization of Japan.
(b) That the Shoguns would benefit by trade.
(c) That the Emperor should rule in favor of trade.
(d) That the Americans were inferior to the Europeans.
3. What were the Mississippi and Susquehanna?
(a) Two top sailing vessels.
(b) Two steamboats.
(c) The two merchant vessels who came along with the military vessels.
(d) The units deployed with the ships.
4. How is the place where the enormous ships appear described?
(a) An almost-deserted area where no villages were.
(b) A large city.
(c) A small fishing village.
(d) A mid-sized city.
5. What did Commodore Perry still not understand even after help from the Dutch?
(a) Who the Emperor favored.
(b) Why the other countries gave up on trading with the Japanese.
(c) The cultural and social structure of the Japanese.
(d) Why the Dutch did not resist the strictly-regulated relations with the Japanese.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are two of the ships doing that scares some of the inhabitants?
2. About what percent of the population were farmers in the mid-nineteenth century in Japan?
3. When did Spanish Jesuits settle in Japan?
4. Why were the feudal lords required to leave their wives and children in Edo?
5. How many people lived in Edo?
This section contains 274 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)