|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 1-4, Aliens Arrive, The Black Ships of the Evil Men, His High and Might Mysteriousness, Landing on Sacred Soil (The Audience Hall).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why couldn't the Japanese surround the ships?
(a) They didn't want to surround the burning ships and catch their ships on fire.
(b) They didn't have any war ships of their own.
(c) They did not have enough manpower.
(d) They could not outrun the ships.
2. What were the Japanese "war correspondents" doing the next morning?
(a) Drawing pictures of the ships.
(b) Drawing pictures of the officers in charge.
(c) Waiting by one American ship for permission to board.
(d) Interviewing some of the lower-ranked officers.
3. What type of structure did Japan have at this time?
(d) Constitutional monarchy.
4. What did Perry insist upon when the Japanese repeated their request that the Americans go to Nagasaki?
(a) They needed a few days to get water and wood.
(b) They could not make it all that far.
(c) They did not want to treat with the Dutch since they were at war with them.
(d) Perry wanted his letter answered first.
5. What warned people to flee?
(a) The local militia.
(b) Temple bells ringing.
(c) The priests of the temple.
(d) The men who got off the ship.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the impression of Japan by most of the Americans?
2. What does Commodore Perry have for the Emperor from President Fillmore?
3. How is the place where the enormous ships appear described?
4. Who was Nakajima?
5. What are two of the ships doing that scares some of the inhabitants?
This section contains 290 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)