|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 13-16, The Treaty, Excursions on Land and Sea, Shore Leave, In the Wake of the Black Ships, Afterword.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the Sumo wrestlers do to demonstrate their strength?
(a) Lifted huge bales of rice.
(b) Cracked huge blocks of stone.
(c) Lifted kegs of American whiskey.
(d) Lifted a ship's anchor.
2. What did Commodore Perry demand about the building the Japanese built for negotiations?
(a) That he be allowed a thorough inspection before any negotiations took place.
(b) That it have screens to keep the bugs out.
(c) That the screens be removed.
(d) That it be heated.
3. What did those in favor of trade want from the West?
(a) Their knowledge of the natural world.
(b) Their literature and poetry.
(d) Their science, industry and wealth from trade.
4. What enchanted Abigail about the Japanese?
(a) Their health.
(b) Their religious fervor.
(c) Their literacy rate.
(d) Their manners.
5. What surprised the Japanese about a U.S. consul?
(a) The consul brought his wife with him.
(b) The Americans did not want to send any consuls to Japan.
(c) One arrived in Edo.
(d) The consul was a woman.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many ships were in his sailing party this time?
2. Who was Sam Patch?
3. How did the Japanese slowly become after the English quit trading?
4. What was one thing that was excellent about Shimoda?
5. About what percent of the population were farmers in the mid-nineteenth century in Japan?
This section contains 252 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)