|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 13-16, The Treaty, Excursions on Land and Sea, Shore Leave, In the Wake of the Black Ships, Afterword.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To whom did the Shoguns send a copy of the letter that Commodore Perry brought?
(a) The daimyos.
(b) The Dutch traders.
(c) The Governor of each district.
(d) No one; they did not want the contents to be known.
2. When does the lead shogun learn the news of the arrival of the ships?
(a) The messenger went right to him.
(b) Within hours of the ships' arrival.
(c) Three days after the fact.
(d) They do not tell him at all because he is dying.
3. Who did Perry see still approaching Japan?
(a) The Germans.
(b) The British and French.
(c) The Italian.
(d) The Russians and French.
4. What did the Japanese promise about American ships wrecked off Japan's coast?
(a) Nothing was said about that.
(b) They would leave them be.
(c) Help and protection.
(d) The money from the salvage of the ships would be turned over to the American owners.
5. What happened when Shogun Ieyasu died in 1616?
(a) Trade was opened to any nation who came.
(b) Not much changed.
(c) Being a Christian became punishable by death.
(d) Trade was completely abandoned.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many ships were in his sailing party this time?
2. What was one thing Perry never did during his visits to Japan?
3. What was a geographical characteristic of Shimoda?
4. What enchanted Abigail about the Japanese?
5. How many Japanese commissioners met Commodore Perry and his group?
This section contains 257 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)