|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 13-16, The Treaty, Excursions on Land and Sea, Shore Leave, In the Wake of the Black Ships, Afterword.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did the Dutch submit to such control by the Japanese?
(a) To gain the enormous profits of trade with them.
(b) The Japanese didn't try to control the Dutch overly much.
(c) They were foreigners in a foreign land and did not want to offend.
(d) They believed the Japanese would continue to give them a monopoly.
2. What did the Sumo wrestlers do to demonstrate their strength?
(a) Cracked huge blocks of stone.
(b) Lifted huge bales of rice.
(c) Lifted kegs of American whiskey.
(d) Lifted a ship's anchor.
3. Why does Perry decide to move forward with plans to return to Japan?
(a) He was ordered to do so by the President of the United States.
(b) Seeing other ships approaching Japan.
(c) He received a letter from the Shogun inviting him back.
(d) He was paid a handsome commission by some investors.
4. What was Commodore Perry permitted to do?
(a) Establish a residency in Yokohama.
(b) Travel as close to Edo as the depth of the water would permit.
(c) Meet with the Emperor.
(d) Establish a residency in Edo.
5. What happened in Edo when the messengers arrived?
(a) The Emperor dispatches a huge army to meet the ships.
(b) The Emperor decided to go meet the ships.
(c) The people all calmly gathered to pray.
(d) The city fell into chaos.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of structure did Japan have at this time?
2. What was one thing Perry never did during his visits to Japan?
3. When did Commodore Perry arrive at the agreed-upon landing area?
4. When was Japan last at war?
5. What did many of the daimyos believe?
This section contains 310 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)