|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 5-8, The Dutch Island Prison, Foreigners Forbidden, The Great Peace, Clouds Over the Land of the Rising Sun.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many people lived in Edo?
(a) Over 100,000.
(b) About 500,000.
(c) About 44 thousand.
(d) Over a million.
2. What were the rumors about devils with white faces?
(a) That they were punishment from the gods.
(b) That they had guns that killed a hundred people at one shot.
(c) That they would take over the country.
(d) That they were kidnapping all the children.
3. About what percent of the population were farmers in the mid-nineteenth century in Japan?
4. About how many samurai were there in Japan when Perry arrived?
5. What do many historians think of Manjiro's influence?
(a) That Manjiro was too close to the situation to effect change.
(c) He is not mentioned.
(d) That it kept Japan isolated for a lot longer than necessary.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the groups of five families have to do?
2. Who is Manjiro?
3. How did the Japanese slowly become after the English quit trading?
4. What did Commodore Perry pretend to be?
5. When did Spanish Jesuits settle in Japan?
This section contains 227 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)