|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 9-12, The Black Ships Return, The Treaty House, An Array of Gifts, The Grand Banquet.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What would be built at the place where the Americans landed?
(a) A small palace for Commodore Perry.
(b) A Treaty House.
(d) A trading marketplace.
2. Why couldn't the Americans stay in Edo Bay?
(a) They were scaring the fish and depriving the city of food.
(b) It was against Japanese law.
(c) They were polluting it.
(d) They were not invited.
3. What did the groups of five families have to do?
(a) Pay seventy percent of all their earnings to the daimyo.
(b) Swear allegience to each other.
(c) Monitor one another's behavior.
(d) Go to Edo every year for census.
4. Under what conditions could the Dutch and English trade with the Japanese after the death of Shogun Ieyasu?
(a) As long as they did not proselytize.
(b) Under no conditions.
(c) As long as the products was nothing the Japanese produced.
(d) As long as the Emperor received 50 percent of the profits.
5. Who finally came to one of the parties between the Japanese and Americans?
(a) The head Samurai.
(c) The Emperor.
(d) The Shogun.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the Japanese do as the Americans passed by?
2. Where did messengers go as the ships were landing?
3. When did the Japanese say they would open a harbor?
4. What are the American ships ordered to do?
5. Why were the feudal lords required to leave their wives and children in Edo?
This section contains 302 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)