|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 9-12, The Black Ships Return, The Treaty House, An Array of Gifts, The Grand Banquet.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was special about Commodore Perry being received by the Japanese?
(a) He was the first Western ambassador to be received in over two hundred years.
(b) They ignored the Japanese laws against such a meeting.
(c) His parents had been missionaries to Japan.
(d) They greeted him with a special designation no other white man had received.
2. What is illegal for the Emperor to do without permission of the government?
(a) Leave the palace.
(b) Order an execution.
(c) Sign a law.
(d) Get married.
3. What did the people not know existed?
(c) Ships that could sail so close to land.
(d) Other lands.
4. Who comprised the lower class in the cities?
(a) The house servants.
(b) The priests.
(c) Artisans and merchants and craftsmen.
(d) The untouchables.
5. What did Commodore Perry want of the Japanese?
(a) Them to make the Dutch leave if the Japanese would not treat with any other country.
(b) A written guarnatee that the Americans could land on any Japanese island.
(c) Exclusive rights to fish in Japenese waters.
(d) An actual, written treaty.
Short Answer Questions
1. What would be built at the place where the Americans landed?
2. What did the Americans do that really impressed the Japanese?
3. When was Japan last at war?
4. What did many of the daimyos believe?
5. Why couldn't the Japanese surround the ships?
This section contains 320 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)