Essay Topic 1
The setting of Commodore Perry in the Land of the Shogun is quite important. Research the feudal system under which Japan existed in the mid 19th century and answer the following questions:
1. How was the feudal system organized? Could one move from the class of their birth to another class? Who was responsible for the protection of the peoples of Japan? Who made the decisions?
2. Discuss three advantages and three disadvantages of the feudal system.
3. What did the Americans seem to think of the feudal system? Give examples.
4. Did your research reveal any countries today that are organized in a feudal-like system? Discuss any that are mentioned.
5. Why do you think most countries abandoned the feudal system?
Essay Topic 2
The Industrial Revolution is mentioned a number of times in the novel Commodore Perry in the Land of the Shogun. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast the level...
This section contains 2,456 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)