|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of maneuver does Hornblower think the French will make on Riga?
2. What did Braun plan to use in his plan to disrupt the dinner?
3. What prevents Hornblower's flotilla from entering the dock at the destination after the ball?
4. What kind of fires are burning on the shore when Hornblower talks about the impossibility of war?
5. What title does the man hold that Hornblower meets on shore after he captures an important prisoner?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Hornblower's plan of attack when he reaches his destination after his surprise visitor has left?
2. Where does Hornblower decide to take his flotilla after his surprise visitor leaves?
3. What does Hornblower notice about the siege work of the French at Riga?
4. How does Hornblower learn about the local feelings about the destruction of the Blanchefleur?
5. What does Hornblower see on the coast of Riga, and how does he know what they are?
6. What happens as Hornblower is rowing to shore at Riga?
7. What does Hornblower do after the dinner, and what leads him to do this?
8. What does the message Hornblower receives the day after the ball say?
9. Where does General Essen take Hornblower when he gets to shore, and how does Hornblower enjoy it?
10. What does Hornblower discover when he reaches his destination after his surprise visitor has left?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are some of the key examples of gratitude in this book, and how do these instances affect that characters involved in those scenes?
Essay Topic 2
This book takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affected the course of the plot. Why might Forester have chosen these particular places for this plot to take place?
Essay Topic 3
Despair was a theme that was placed in a number of sensitive places in this plot. What are some of these places, and what role did despair play in this book?
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)