|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Braun sent after he is stopped from his plan at the dinner by Hornblower?
2. Where does Hornblower's crew go to celebrate the victory over the Blanchefleur?
3. How many ships does Hornblower put on nigh time alert at Riga?
4. Where is Hornblower sent to attack the French after the first bomb ketch attack in Riga?
5. What do the French armies construct as they approach the Russian villages?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hornblower do to get his bomb ketches in on the action at Riga?
2. What does Hornblower worry about as he heads to Riga?
3. How did Hornblower's plan at the blocked dock work?
4. What does Hornblower see on the coast of Riga, and how does he know what they are?
5. What do Hornblower and Wychwood talk about when they first meet?
6. What news does Hornblower hear from England after his plan with the bomb ketches works?
7. Where does Hornblower decide to take his flotilla after his surprise visitor leaves?
8. What terrible news is heard at the end of Chapter 21?
9. Who is marching against Russia after the destruction of the Blanchefleur, and how does Hornblower feel about this?
10. How does Hornblower learn about the local feelings about the destruction of the Blanchefleur?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Valor was a theme of this book that was very important to many of the characters involved. Where did this theme of valor present itself and how did these occurrences affect the characters involved in those scenes?
Essay Topic 2
Poverty was a very important theme in this book. Where did this theme appear, and how did Forester present the theme in a dynamic way?
Essay Topic 3
Betrayal was a theme introduced at the very beginning of this book. How does this constant stream of betrayal affect the outcome of the plot, and which characters were most affected by it?
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)