|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the men at dinner with Wychwood talk about?
2. Who is killed while the bomb ketches are in action at Riga?
3. What kind of ships does Hornblower put on nighttime alert at Riga?
4. What is the name of the ship that gives Hornblower the first signal of a French ship?
5. Where does Hornblower's crew go to celebrate the victory over the Blanchefleur?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hornblower discover when he reaches his destination after his surprise visitor has left?
2. What news does Hornblower hear from England after his plan with the bomb ketches works?
3. What happens as Hornblower is rowing to shore at Riga?
4. How does Hornblower treat his surprise visitor the day after the ball, and how is this treatment received?
5. How does Hornblower learn about the local feelings about the destruction of the Blanchefleur?
6. What does Hornblower talk about when a pilot comes to take him on shore at Riga?
7. What does Hornblower worry about as he heads to Riga?
8. What does Braun try to do at the dinner and how is he stopped?
9. What do the bomb ketches do to help the defenses at Riga when they are made useful?
10. What does Wychwood bring back from his diplomatic mission?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hornblower endures many different trials before the end of the book. What are some of these trials and what lessons does he learn through these experiences?
Essay Topic 2
Security and safety were two themes that were touched on a number of times throughout the course of this book. What are some of these instances, and how does this affect the characters in these scenes?
Essay Topic 3
The Countess was a minor character whose presence made a big difference in the plot. How did she accomplish this? What are some ways that her presence, however brief, altered the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if she had not been in the book at all?
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)