|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What prevents Hornblower's flotilla from entering the dock at the destination after the ball?
2. What does the dinner with Wychwood consist of?
3. Where is Diebitsch from?
4. Who does Wychwood say is at now at war with France?
5. What is the occupation of the important prisoner Hornblower captures as he heads to shore when he sees the smoke?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the bomb ketches do to help the defenses at Riga when they are made useful?
2. What does Hornblower do after the dinner, and what leads him to do this?
3. Where does General Essen take Hornblower when he gets to shore, and how does Hornblower enjoy it?
4. What does Wychwood bring back from his diplomatic mission?
5. What does Hornblower do to get his bomb ketches in on the action at Riga?
6. What terrible news is heard at the end of Chapter 21?
7. What is Hornblower's plan of attack when he reaches his destination after his surprise visitor has left?
8. What does Braun try to do at the dinner and how is he stopped?
9. How does Hornblower learn about the local feelings about the destruction of the Blanchefleur?
10. What does Hornblower talk about when a pilot comes to take him on shore at Riga?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Friendship is a strong theme throughout the book. Where are some places that this theme appears, and how do the characters touched by it react? How do certain friendships change over the course of the book, and what causes these changes?
Essay Topic 2
Many different characters in this book are persuaded to do things that they would not have done of their own accord. What are some of these instances, and how did persuasion affect the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 3
What are some of the key examples of gratitude in this book, and how do these instances affect that characters involved in those scenes?
This section contains 797 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)