|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Wychwood supposed to meet?
2. What kind of ships does Hornblower put on nighttime alert at Riga?
3. Where does Hornblower go to observe the movements of the armies at Riga?
4. What does Hornblower have prepared for his surprise visitor's lunch the day after the ball?
5. What flatters Hornblower most about being at the dinner with Wychwood?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the bomb ketches do to help the defenses at Riga when they are made useful?
2. What does Hornblower notice about the siege work of the French at Riga?
3. What terrible news is heard at the end of Chapter 21?
4. Who is marching against Russia after the destruction of the Blanchefleur, and how does Hornblower feel about this?
5. What does Cole do at Riga that is looked down on by Hornblower?
6. What does the message Hornblower receives the day after the ball say?
7. What news does Hornblower hear from England after his plan with the bomb ketches works?
8. What does Hornblower do after the dinner, and what leads him to do this?
9. Where does General Essen take Hornblower when he gets to shore, and how does Hornblower enjoy it?
10. What is Hornblower's plan of attack when he reaches his destination after his surprise visitor has left?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sacrifice was a theme that was very prevalent in this book. Who were the characters most affected by this theme, and how did they allow sacrifice to change their lives?
Essay Topic 2
Choosing sides was a theme that was presented in this play. What are some of the examples of this theme appearing, and how did it affect the characters involved?
Essay Topic 3
Valor was a theme of this book that was very important to many of the characters involved. Where did this theme of valor present itself and how did these occurrences affect the characters involved in those scenes?
This section contains 823 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)