|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many guns are on the Nonsuch?
2. What is the source of the sound that worries Hornblower on his first day aboard?
3. How does Hornblower act when he gives orders before traveling through the Sound?
4. What does Hornblower do in his room after receiving his orders from Richard Wellesley?
5. What is the name of Hornblower's wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hornblower do to keep his crew calm before entering the Sound?
2. What does Hornblower hear that alarms him on the ship, and what is the source of this noise?
3. Describe the gift that Barbara left for Hornblower on the ship.
4. How do Hornblower and his wife spend their last few moments together before Hornblower leaves?
5. What does Baron Basse say when he boards the Nonsuch?
6. Who does Hornblower call into a council before beginning his chase on the Blanchefleur?
7. What is Hornblower surprised and pleased about when he first boards his ship?
8. How do Hornblower and his wife feel about the news Hornblower receives after he is introduced to the city he is a Squire over?
9. What does Hornblower do after hearing about his mission?
10. How is Mr. Braun described when he is first introduced?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does symbolism play in the story and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
Essay Topic 2
Hornblower endures many different trials before the end of the book. What are some of these trials and what lessons does he learn through these experiences?
Essay Topic 3
The Countess was a minor character whose presence made a big difference in the plot. How did she accomplish this? What are some ways that her presence, however brief, altered the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if she had not been in the book at all?
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)