|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Braun from?
2. What kind of cargo is being carried by the first ship that Hornblower sees after his trip through the Sound?
3. Where does Hornblower place himself while traveling through the dangerous Sound?
4. What peculiar habit do Hornblower and his wife indulge in at the beginning of the book?
5. What kind of mission will Hornblower be embarking on in his secret mission for the Navy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Baron Basse say when he boards the Nonsuch?
2. What happens just before Hornblower goes to bed after hearing details about his mission?
3. What does Hornblower notice while Brown is stowing his luggage?
4. What happens when the Harvey is unmasted by Danish fire?
5. Describe the gift that Barbara left for Hornblower on the ship.
6. Who does Hornblower call into a council before beginning his chase on the Blanchefleur?
7. What does Hornblower learn about his mission when he gets to London?
8. How do Hornblower and his wife spend their last few moments together before Hornblower leaves?
9. What does Hornblower do after hearing about his mission?
10. What does Hornblower do to keep his crew calm before entering the Sound?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are some of the key examples of gratitude in this book, and how do these instances affect that characters involved in those scenes?
Essay Topic 2
Sacrifice was a theme that was very prevalent in this book. Who were the characters most affected by this theme, and how did they allow sacrifice to change their lives?
Essay Topic 3
The Countess was a minor character whose presence made a big difference in the plot. How did she accomplish this? What are some ways that her presence, however brief, altered the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if she had not been in the book at all?
This section contains 706 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)