|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What town does Hornblower live in when he is on land?
2. What is the name of the ship Hornblower will be sailing on?
3. Which of the following had allegiance to France?
4. Where is Clarke originally from?
5. Who notices from Hornblower's actions that something exciting will happen while passing through the Sound?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the Blanchefleur destroyed?
2. What happens just as the Blanchefleur is seen?
3. How is Mr. Braun described when he is first introduced?
4. What is Hornblower surprised and pleased about when he first boards his ship?
5. Who does Hornblower call into a council before beginning his chase on the Blanchefleur?
6. How is Hornblower introduced to the town he is a Squire over?
7. How does Bush feel about Braun when they are first introduced?
8. How does Hornblower feel to be on land for the first time in a long time?
9. What is Hornblower doing when he sees the sail of the Maggie Jones in the distance?
10. What is the peculiar practice that Hornblower and his wife do while he is on shore? Why is this considered peculiar for the time period of this book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Countess was a minor character whose presence made a big difference in the plot. How did she accomplish this? What are some ways that her presence, however brief, altered the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if she had not been in the book at all?
Essay Topic 2
Fear is a common theme in this book that is presented a number of times by a number of characters. What are some of these instances, and how does fear affect the characters in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Many different characters in this book are persuaded to do things that they would not have done of their own accord. What are some of these instances, and how did persuasion affect the course of the plot?
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)