|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who sends Hornblower a message shortly after he is introduced to the town?
2. How wide is the sea lane at the Sound?
3. What is the weather like when Hornblower departs?
4. What kind of weapon does Mound have on board his ship?
5. What kind of ship is the Harvey?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what order does Hornblower arrange the flotilla before entering the Sound, and why?
2. What does Hornblower notice while Brown is stowing his luggage?
3. How does Hornblower feel to be on land for the first time in a long time?
4. What happens when the Harvey is unmasted by Danish fire?
5. What does Hornblower do to keep his crew calm before entering the Sound?
6. What happens just as the Blanchefleur is seen?
7. What is the political situation at the time along the Baltic?
8. What happens when Hornblower orders his men to board the Maggie Jones?
9. What do Hornblower and Bush do on the deck when they begin traveling through the Sound?
10. What happens just before Hornblower goes to bed after hearing details about his mission?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Power and Greed were two common themes in this book. Where did they appear, and how do they differ in their manifestations?
Essay Topic 2
The characters in this book all have their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and write their main motivation throughout the book and how this goal affected the characters around them.
Essay Topic 3
Choosing sides was a theme that was presented in this play. What are some of the examples of this theme appearing, and how did it affect the characters involved?
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)