|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of ship is the Clam?
2. Which of the following countries is neutral towards England?
3. Where is Hornblower commanded to go at his earliest convenience at the beginning of the book?
4. What year does this book begin in?
5. What does Hornblower do on the deck of the ship while traveling through the Sound?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Hornblower call into a council before beginning his chase on the Blanchefleur?
2. What does Baron Basse say when he boards the Nonsuch?
3. What does Hornblower notice while Brown is stowing his luggage?
4. How is Mr. Braun described when he is first introduced?
5. How does Hornblower feel about Braun when they are first introduced?
6. What does Hornblower do after hearing about his mission?
7. How do Hornblower and his wife spend their last few moments together before Hornblower leaves?
8. What happens just before Hornblower goes to bed after hearing details about his mission?
9. How does Hornblower feel after the Blanchefleur has been destroyed?
10. What happens when the Harvey is unmasted by Danish fire?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Security and safety were two themes that were touched on a number of times throughout the course of this book. What are some of these instances, and how does this affect the characters in these scenes?
Essay Topic 2
Many different characters in this book are persuaded to do things that they would not have done of their own accord. What are some of these instances, and how did persuasion affect the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Fear is a common theme in this book that is presented a number of times by a number of characters. What are some of these instances, and how does fear affect the characters in the book?
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)