|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is Hornblower when this book begins?
2. What is the group of ships under Hornblower's command called?
(a) Sailing Troop.
3. How does Hornblower feel about Braun when he first meets him?
(a) He sees him the same as any other sailor.
(b) He immediately dislikes him.
(c) He does not know how to feel about him.
(d) He likes him very much.
4. What is the name of Hornblower's first mate?
5. Which of the following is NOT one of the captains of the flotilla?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which country is Hornblower afraid Braun will be biased against?
2. What is the name of Hornblower's most trusted manservant?
3. What do the town children do when Hornblower is introduced at the beginning of the book?
4. What is the name of the captain of the second ship that contacts Hornblower after he has trapped the Blanchefleur?
5. What country's neutrality is Hornblower hoping will keep him and his ship from heavier fire while traveling through the sound?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Mr. Braun described when he is first introduced?
2. Describe the gift that Barbara left for Hornblower on the ship.
3. Who does Hornblower call into a council before beginning his chase on the Blanchefleur?
4. What does Baron Basse say when he boards the Nonsuch?
5. What does Hornblower do after hearing about his mission?
6. What news does Hornblower receive after his formal introduction to the city he is a Squire over?
7. What does Hornblower do to keep his crew calm before entering the Sound?
8. What does Hornblower notice while Brown is stowing his luggage?
9. What does Hornblower hear that alarms him on the ship, and what is the source of this noise?
10. What is Hornblower surprised and pleased about when he first boards his ship?
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)