|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Hornblower commanded to go at his earliest convenience at the beginning of the book?
2. What country is Hornblower supposed to turn against France?
3. What is the name of the captain of the second ship that contacts Hornblower after he has trapped the Blanchefleur?
4. How wide is the sea lane at the Sound?
(a) 300 yards.
(b) 3 kilometers.
(c) 30 meters.
(d) 3 miles.
5. What peculiar habit do Hornblower and his wife indulge in at the beginning of the book?
(a) Open carriage rides.
(b) Fox hunts.
(c) Daily baths.
(d) Swims in the Thames.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Hornblower feel about Braun when he first meets him?
2. What do the town children do when Hornblower is introduced at the beginning of the book?
3. Who picks out all the clothes Hornblower wears when he is on land?
4. Which country is Hornblower afraid Braun will be biased against?
5. What kind of ship is the Harvey?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Hornblower orders his men to board the Maggie Jones?
2. What is the political situation at the time along the Baltic?
3. What is Hornblower surprised and pleased about when he first boards his ship?
4. What happens just before Hornblower goes to bed after hearing details about his mission?
5. What happens just as the Blanchefleur is seen?
6. How is Hornblower introduced to the town he is a Squire over?
7. What happens when the Harvey is unmasted by Danish fire?
8. How does Hornblower feel to be on land for the first time in a long time?
9. What is the danger of passing through the Sound with British flags flying?
10. How is Mr. Braun described when he is first introduced?
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)