|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What country is Hornblower supposed to turn against France?
2. What is the name of the captain of the first ship entering the Sound?
3. What do the town children do when Hornblower is introduced at the beginning of the book?
(a) Cheer and clap.
(b) Thank him one by one.
(c) Recite a poem.
(d) Sing a song.
4. Which of the following countries is neutral towards England?
5. What is Hornblower's first name?
6. Which ship does Hornblower think will receive the majority of the damage from attacks in the Sound?
(a) The first ship.
(b) The last ship.
(c) The ships on the outer edge.
(d) The ships in the middle.
7. What is the name of the last ship of the flotilla to enter the Sound?
8. What country's neutrality is Hornblower hoping will keep him and his ship from heavier fire while traveling through the sound?
9. What is the source of the sound that worries Hornblower on his first day aboard?
(a) Bush's wooden leg.
(b) A cage of rats.
(c) A kettle of steam.
(d) A cargo hold of rum bottles.
10. What kind of ship is the Harvey?
(d) Bomb Ketch.
11. What rank is Hornblower going to be promoted to at the beginning of the book?
12. What is the name of the captain of the first ship that contacts Hornblower after he has trapped the Blanchefleur?
(a) Baron Brasse.
(b) Baron Bruce.
(c) Baron Butisse.
(d) Baron Basse.
13. How many ships speed towards Hornblower's ship the morning after he has trapped the Blanchefleur?
14. What does Hornblower do on the deck of the ship while traveling through the Sound?
(a) Eats breakfast.
(c) Raises his British flag.
15. What does Clarke do when Hornblower has his ship boarded?
(a) Shoots himself in the head.
(b) Stabs himself.
(d) Jumps overboard.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the ship Hornblower will be sailing on?
2. Who drives Hornblower into town after receiving the urgent message at the beginning of the book?
3. What kind of cargo is being carried by the first ship that Hornblower sees after his trip through the Sound?
4. What does Barbara talk about while she is riding in a carriage with her husband before he departs?
5. Who sends Hornblower a message shortly after he is introduced to the town?
This section contains 430 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)