|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following had allegiance to France?
2. Where is Clarke originally from?
3. Which of the following countries is hostile towards England?
4. Who drives Hornblower into town after receiving the urgent message at the beginning of the book?
5. How does Hornblower dress his first morning on the ship?
(a) Full uniform.
(b) His new Commodore's uniform.
(c) A simple enlisted Naval uniform.
(d) His fine suit.
6. What is Hornblower's favorite item of clothing?
(a) His fine suit.
(b) His riding suit.
(c) His bathrobe.
(d) His Naval uniform.
7. What does Hornblower do in his room after receiving his orders from Richard Wellesley?
(a) Paces the floor.
(c) Cleans his guns.
(d) Writes to his wife.
8. What is the first ship to receive damage while traveling through the Sound?
9. What month does this book begin in?
10. What kind of mission will Hornblower be embarking on in his secret mission for the Navy?
11. How are Richard Wellesley and Hornblower related?
(a) They are brothers-in-law.
(b) They are cousins.
(c) Richard is Hornblower's nephew.
(d) Richard is Hornblower's uncle.
12. What is the source of the sound that worries Hornblower on his first day aboard?
(a) Bush's wooden leg.
(b) A kettle of steam.
(c) A cargo hold of rum bottles.
(d) A cage of rats.
13. What kind of ship was the Blanchefluer?
(d) Bomb Ketch.
14. What is the group of ships under Hornblower's command called?
(a) Sailing Troop.
15. How old is Hornblower when this book begins?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the captain of the last ship to enter the Sound?
2. How does Hornblower act when he gives orders before traveling through the Sound?
3. What does Barbara talk about while she is riding in a carriage with her husband before he departs?
4. Which ship does Hornblower think will receive the majority of the damage from attacks in the Sound?
5. What peculiar habit do Hornblower and his wife indulge in at the beginning of the book?
This section contains 391 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)