|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the ship leading the flotilla through the Sound?
2. What is Hornblower's favorite item of clothing?
(a) His riding suit.
(b) His fine suit.
(c) His bathrobe.
(d) His Naval uniform.
3. What is the name of the ship Hornblower will be sailing on?
4. What is the source of the sound that worries Hornblower on his first day aboard?
(a) Bush's wooden leg.
(b) A kettle of steam.
(c) A cage of rats.
(d) A cargo hold of rum bottles.
5. What month does this book begin in?
6. What is the weather like when Hornblower departs?
7. What kind of weapon does Mound have on board his ship?
(a) A catapult.
(b) 24 shot rifles.
(c) 20 pound cannons.
(d) 18 pound mortars.
8. What is the name of the last ship of the flotilla to enter the Sound?
9. What is the name of the captain of the first ship that contacts Hornblower after he has trapped the Blanchefleur?
(a) Baron Bruce.
(b) Baron Basse.
(c) Baron Brasse.
(d) Baron Butisse.
10. What country is Hornblower supposed to turn against France?
11. What kind of ship is the Clam?
(d) Bomb Ketch.
12. How many ships speed towards Hornblower's ship the morning after he has trapped the Blanchefleur?
13. What is the name of the captain of the first ship entering the Sound?
14. Who sends Hornblower a message shortly after he is introduced to the town?
(a) The Naval Council.
(b) The Board of Commanders.
(c) The Admiralty.
(d) The Queen.
15. What does the Baron tell Hornblower his country must do?
(a) Protect France.
(b) Protect his men.
(c) Protect their allegiance with England.
(d) Remain neutral.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who insists that Barbara accompany Hornblower to his ship?
2. What does Hornblower have his crew prepare before entering the Sound?
3. What year does this book begin in?
4. What does Hornblower do in his room after receiving his orders from Richard Wellesley?
5. What is the name of the first ship that Hornblower sees after his trip through the Sound?
This section contains 364 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)