|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Anne's relationship with Keemp end?
2. What does Anne change her major to in this chapter?
3. Which part of Emma's body has been blown off?
4. What impresses Anne about her new college?
5. What is the name of the only other black person in the car?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Anne's mother respond to her joining the NAACP?
2. How has Mr. and Mrs. Chinn's situation changed in the final chapter?
3. How does Keemp and Anne's relationship develop?
4. What is the Mississippi project?
5. How does Anne try to make a good impression at her new college?
6. Why is Anne disappointed with the march in Chapter 24?
7. In what way are Anne and her friends discriminated against in Chapter 21?
8. What ruins Anne's graduation?
9. Why is the car ride with Reverend King so tense?
10. Why did Leonara have to leave the plantation where she lived?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss with the students first person point of view. Why do the students think first person point of view is not necessarily reliable? What moments in the book do the students think are not so reliable and why? With the students discuss the advantages and disadvantages of using the first person.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the values of 1960's.
1) Why did Afro American politics come to the fore during this time ?
2) What significant changes do you think occurred during this period?
3) Does today's society share any values with 1960's America?
Essay Topic 3
Why did President Kennedy represent great hope for Afro-Americans? How did his death affect the Afro-American community? How do you think things would have been different if President Kennedy had lived?
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)