|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With what does Keemp impress Anne?
2. Who does Mama try and encourage Anne to marry?
3. What does Anne change her major to in this chapter?
4. Who hails Anne from the bus?
5. What does the farmer do after he rapes the black girl?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Emma change after her injury?
2. How is Samuel O'Quinn murdered?
3. Describe Anne's first night in New Orleans in Chapter 27.
4. How does Anne encourage people to vote in Chapter 23?
5. Why does Anne stay on the campus after college has finished?
6. How are things starting to turn bad in Canton in Chapter 26?
7. How does Anne show her strong nature when she joins the basketball team in Chapter 17?
8. How does O'Quinn's death affect Anne?
9. What turns Anne away from God in Chapter 25?
10. Why did Leonara have to leave the plantation where she lived?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look at the structure of the book.
1) Discuss elements of the narrative structure: Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's ideas?
2) Examine the way Moody uses other people in the story to express her ideas.
Essay Topic 2
Write a 500-word essay revolving around the following the following statement: Though the Civil Rights Movement was an esssential part of creating a better life for Afro Americans, in the end the non violent measures lost their impact and a more forceful approach was needed.
Essay Topic 3
Examine Moody's writing style. How would you describe her prose style? What kind of vocabulary does she use? Does she use any specific writing techniques? What meaning does Moody's style give to her story?
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)