|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what is Mr. Chinn arrested?
2. Why does Anne's relationship with Keemp end?
3. What is the Mississippi project designed to register?
4. Where are the students gathered at the beginning of the chapter?
5. What is the name of the couple Anne meets in Canton?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Anne spend her first paycheck?
2. How does Anne's strong personality help her at her new college?
3. Describe Mr and Mrs Chinn.
4. Why did Leonara have to leave the plantation where she lived?
5. Why is Anne disappointed with the march in Chapter 24?
6. How does Anne show her strong nature when she joins the basketball team in Chapter 17?
7. What happens to Anne and her friend at the bus depot?
8. What is the differences between canvassing in New Orleans and canvassing in Mississippi?
9. In what way are Anne and her friends discriminated against in Chapter 21?
10. What ruins Anne's graduation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the main themes of the story. Why do you think these themes are so important to the story? How does Moody use character and setting to express her themes?
Essay Topic 2
Look at the structure of the book.
1) Discuss elements of the narrative structure: Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's ideas?
2) Examine the way Moody uses other people in the story to express her ideas.
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the famous people Anne Moody depicts in the book and examine his/her impact on the Civil Rights Movement.
1) What were his/her beliefs?
2) How did he/she communicate their beleifs to the nature?
3) What impact did he/she have on the Civil Rights movement?
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)