|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Anne surprised to see at her graduation ceremony?
2. What does Anne buy for two girls in this chapter?
3. Which of Anne's siblings is staying with Uncle George?
4. What does Anne think the speeches are full of?
5. Who gives a speech at campus in this chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What ruins Anne's graduation?
2. How does Anne show her strong nature when she joins the basketball team in Chapter 17?
3. How does Anne's mother respond to her joining the NAACP?
4. Describe Anne's first night in New Orleans in Chapter 27.
5. How has Mr. and Mrs. Chinn's situation changed in the final chapter?
6. In what way does life get better for Anne on campus in Chapter 19?
7. Why is Anne disappointed with the march in Chapter 24?
8. Why did Leonara have to leave the plantation where she lived?
9. What is the Mississippi project?
10. In what way are Anne and her friends discriminated against in Chapter 21?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the main themes of the story. Why do you think these themes are so important to the story? How does Moody use character and setting to express her themes?
Essay Topic 2
Why did President Kennedy represent great hope for Afro-Americans? How did his death affect the Afro-American community? How do you think things would have been different if President Kennedy had lived?
Essay Topic 3
Examine black femininity.
1) In what way could female Afro Americans be seen as among the oppressed people in America in the first part of the twentieth century?
2) How does Anne use her mother's character to highlight the oppression?
3) What difference did Anne Moody make to Afro American women's lives?
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)