|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Anne first see the drunken white man?
2. Why does Anne's relationship with Keemp end?
3. What does Anne learn after she buys the new clothes for the girls?
4. Who do Anne and Lenora throw a party for in this chapter?
5. For what is Mr. Chinn arrested?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Anne try to make a good impression at her new college?
2. How is Samuel O'Quinn murdered?
3. How does Anne encourage people to vote in Chapter 23?
4. How does Anne spend her first paycheck?
5. What happens to Anne and her friend at the bus depot?
6. How does Keemp and Anne's relationship develop?
7. In what way does life get better for Anne on campus in Chapter 19?
8. How has Mr. and Mrs. Chinn's situation changed in the final chapter?
9. How have Anne's ideas changed by the end of the book?
10. Why did Leonara have to leave the plantation where she lived?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the main themes of the story. Why do you think these themes are so important to the story? How does Moody use character and setting to express her themes?
Essay Topic 2
What major events had a profound affect on Moody's life and how did they change her? What does Moody still have to learn by the end of the book?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the values of 1960's.
1) Why did Afro American politics come to the fore during this time ?
2) What significant changes do you think occurred during this period?
3) Does today's society share any values with 1960's America?
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)