|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of business do the Chinns own?
2. What do the students find in their grits?
3. Who stares at Anne through her bedroom window?
4. In what state is Natchez College located?
5. Why does Leonara move in with Anne?
Short Essay Questions
1. How have Anne's ideas changed by the end of the book?
2. How is Samuel O'Quinn murdered?
3. How does Anne show her strong nature when she joins the basketball team in Chapter 17?
4. How does Anne try to make a good impression at her new college?
5. How does President Kennedy's death affect Anne?
6. How has Mr. and Mrs. Chinn's situation changed in the final chapter?
7. Why is Anne disappointed with the march in Chapter 24?
8. What turns Anne away from God in Chapter 25?
9. What is college like for Anne?
10. How does Emma change after her injury?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why did President Kennedy represent great hope for Afro-Americans? How did his death affect the Afro-American community? How do you think things would have been different if President Kennedy had lived?
Essay Topic 2
Identify the main themes of the story. Why do you think these themes are so important to the story? How does Moody use character and setting to express her themes?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss with the students first person point of view. Why do the students think first person point of view is not necessarily reliable? What moments in the book do the students think are not so reliable and why? With the students discuss the advantages and disadvantages of using the first person.
This section contains 681 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)