|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Anne's friends take her on her birthday?
2. What kind of business do the Chinns own?
3. Of what kind of approach does Anne say she is tired?
4. To what college does Anne get a scholarship?
5. Who does Anne contact when she is out of money?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Anne show her strong nature when she joins the basketball team in Chapter 17?
2. How does Anne's strong personality help her at her new college?
3. Describe Mr and Mrs Chinn.
4. What happens to Anne and her friend at the bus depot?
5. How are things starting to turn bad in Canton in Chapter 26?
6. How have Anne's ideas changed by the end of the book?
7. How does Anne try to make a good impression at her new college?
8. What is college like for Anne?
9. How does Anne's life change at the beginning of Chapter 18?
10. How does Anne's mother respond to her joining the NAACP?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss with the students first person point of view. Why do the students think first person point of view is not necessarily reliable? What moments in the book do the students think are not so reliable and why? With the students discuss the advantages and disadvantages of using the first person.
Essay Topic 2
Look at the structure of the book.
1) Discuss elements of the narrative structure: Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's ideas?
2) Examine the way Moody uses other people in the story to express her ideas.
Essay Topic 3
Examine Moody's upbringing and write 500 words about how her upbringing molded her into the strong and pro active person that she became.
This section contains 829 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)